Beginners and Beyond

"Feed Me" Tuesday Penguins! (Read 36 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

So I got to thinking yesterday that we all live in different areas. We all love to run. And we all love to eat! So for the question of the day - what is your favorite "regional" food. Here in Eastern Pennsylvania there is a lot of homestyle food with a Pennsylvania Dutch overtone. My favorite is Stuffed Peppers.

She Can - nice VR from the stair race

Awood - the singlet looks good - it's interesting that you posted this because I was wondering why most races give out t-shirts or long sleeve t-shirts but not a singlet.

Zelanie - I like the dreadlocks look! I never had dreads but I did have corn rows and braids - kind of like a white Coolio! Do you still have long hair? And that cat in the windshield looks like a mountain lion! I used to drive a 1972 Volkswagon station wagon - you could not believe how much band equipment fit in it - amps, big speaker cabinets, guitars, bass, etc.

As for me - today is 10x200 intervals. Sounds like fun. To keep track I carry my iPhone and use it as a stop watch, then record the lap time in notepad on the recovery jog.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, morning... 10 x 200 sound like lots of fun.. Enjoy

7.5M w/ 5 @ HM pace.. Miscal the time and nearly late for work.. My fav food.. so many to even list but I am a meat-eater..

Chilli-crab

Sweet-sour pork

Fried rice are some that came to mind..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Gus and Bin.  Deep dish pizza for me.

URD yesterday, but DW might want to run inside today.  BBrrrrrr.

'Morning!

3.2 miles done this morning, and it was a chilly 28 degrees. Brrrrrrr.

Favorite local food? Gosh, I don't know. I like food. Not seafood, but other than that, food and I get along pretty well most days. Smile

Current favorites: Chicken Taco Soup in the crock pot, garnished with corn chips; and apple crisp fresh out of the oven using apples from our yard for dessert. YUMMY.

PADRunner

Morning all. 2 tempo this morning. It used to be BBQ here but I've given it up.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 miles with 2 @ MP already done.  It was 80F at 5am, but compared to the 101F from yesterday, it was much better.

I don't adore Cuban food (in fact, I can do without) but my favorite dish here is actually Cuban.  It's called Arroz Imperial (Imperial Rice).  You would think mayonnaise atop rice might be yucky but it's delicious.  Here is a picture of my latest carbo loading pre-Chicago:

With plantain soup in front of you (that is a Puerto Rican delicacy, don't tell the Cubans, LOL).

Gustav, I love me some stuffed peppers.

Bin, nice 7.5.

Jerry, I wish I could say Brrrr.  Maybe I will by next year.

Mickey, nice run.

PAD, why did you gave up BBQ?????

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy October 22nd!   On 'this day in history' Xerox introduced the copy machine in 1938.   Copy that!

Today's Holidays:

National Nut Day - No, no, don't catch your relative who's been acting strangely and take him/her for an exam.  This is the FOOD kind of nut. So enjoy a handful of your favorite type of nut today, most of which can be quite healthy for you.

Medical Assistant Recognition Day - Time to recognize those folks behind the doctors and nurses who help keep things running smoothly!  Medical assistants are primarily administrative and clinical folks who do a variety of tasks for the medical practice they work for, such as

using computer applications, updating and filing patient medical records, scheduling appointments, taking medical histories, preparing patients for exam, collecting and preparing lab specimens, explaining policies and procedures, and so forth.

International Stutter Awareness Day - The day is intended to raise public awareness of the millions of people – one per cent of the world's population who have the speech disorder of stuttering, also known as stammering.

KEYWORD1  2012-03-06  music  celebrity  celebrities  rock and roll  rock music  singer  singers  per

KEYWORD1  2010-04-10  helen  mother-in-law  mother-in-laws  parent  parents  relative  relatives  pi

nut cartoons, nut cartoon, funny, nut picture, nut pictures, nut image, nut images, nut illustration, nut illustrations

nut cartoons, nut cartoon, funny, nut picture, nut pictures, nut image, nut images, nut illustration, nut illustrations

KEYWORD1  2012-04-03  medical  medicine  health  healthcare  health care  doctor  doctors  physician

KEYWORD1  2008-10-07  monster  monsters  science fiction  sci fi  frankenstein  phillips head  phill

KEYWORD1  2010-06-30  medical  medicine  health  healthcare  health care  doctor  doctors  physician

KEYWORD1  2012-06-02  medical  medicine  health  healthcare  health care  doctor  doctors  physician

KEYWORD1  1999-06-14  piglet  piglet  winnie the pooh  parody  parodies  disney  looney tunes  porky

KEYWORD1  1997-10-06  winnie  pooh  winnie the pooh  pooh bear  bear  bears  pig  pigs

stuttering cartoons, stuttering cartoon, funny, stuttering picture, stuttering pictures, stuttering image, stuttering images, stuttering illustration, stuttering illustrations

stuttering cartoons, stuttering cartoon, funny, stuttering picture, stuttering pictures, stuttering image, stuttering images, stuttering illustration, stuttering illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

PAD, why did you gave up BBQ?????

Health reason. It went with the rest of the meat I've mostly given up. Trying to keep the arteries clean.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for getting things started, Gustav!  Good luck with the intervals. As for favorite local food for me:  Texas brisket and Texas chicken-fried steak!   Soooooo healthy! Joking

Congrats on your run, Bin, hope you made it to work on time!  Fried rice, yummy!

OK, Jerry, how cold is it in Chicago now?

28 degrees!  Mickey, time to move to a warmer climate!  I really hate cold weather, one reason I left Ohio for Texas.  Ohio is a beautiful state, loved running there in Spring and Summer and Fall...but those darn winters!   Shocked

Given up BBQ?  PAD, you need to leave the state!  Wink  Congrats on your tempo run.

80 degrees at 7 a..m.!  Dang, Damaris, just what the heck did Miami do to piss Mother Nature off so much?  I have a theory about why Miami is so warm..it's all those meth-labs down there!  Their constant 'cooking' is destroying your ozone layers.  Wink Congrats on getting your run in already!   That meal looks pretty good, Damaris.  Except for those peas.  Uggg, peas... Tight lips

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Fb is not working too well for me yday.. 32K pace for any views..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Good morning all.

So far, all of the "regional" food looks good to me.  I'd have to go with cheesesteaks as my favorite regional food.  And Tastykakes!  I love Tastykakes, but only allow myself to buy a box two or three times a year.  (I'm sure they are just full of all the bad kinds of fat and loaded with empty calories.)  My favorites are the coconut Kandy Kakes.

4-5 miles of fartleks tonight.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Gus: I loathe intervals... Good luck.

Bin: even with the cough, good job on the 32k.

Jerry: send some of that cold air my way!

Mickey: see above!

PAD: keep it up!!

Docket: holy crap that is hot!!!

Scotty: hiya!

As for me, I have 8 miles w 5x600 @6:30 pace. I'm getting tuned up for a 10k on Sunday. Younger DD has a XC meet today.

As far as "local food" I don't think we have any so I will just say "In-n-Out."

Dad on the run.

Hey all, got out lastnight and did a 35min run @ 9:39m/m with a 5 min cool down. Covered 4 miles. Will do the same run tonight but possibly a little slower, IT Band started hurting a bit after about mile 3 :/ ugg. I can't wait to get back to running pain free!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Good morning!  Got a tempo run today.  I haven't run tempo miles yet since I've been back, so of course I'm nervous!  I think I'll start with 2 x 2 miles today, 1/2 mile recovery.  That shouldn't be too terrible, right?

I get to go to a conference in Albuquerque in a couple of weeks- anybody know anything about running there?  I don't think I'll have a car.

QOTD- I guess my favorite "regional" food, if you don't count VooDoo Donuts, would be hazelnuts.  But you have to call them "filberts" out here.

Gustav- Congrats on the 40 last week!  Good luck on the intervals today!  I don't think I could manage to write, even in a recovery jog!  That cat was huge.  His name was Klondike, and he was a Maine Coon, I think.  He was very good about living in a van.  I could let him out at a field, and drive off, and come back later and he'd be there waiting.  He was a lot like a dog.  He could play fetch and liked to follow me on walks.

Bin- Nice splits!  Very consistent and getting faster as you went!

Jerry- Keep warm!

Damaris- Nice run!

Scotty- Funny story yesterday!  You must have met the one cop that didn't already know you as a runner.  Bet he will remember next time!

PAD- Good job on the tempo!

Margo- Good luck on the Fartlek run!  When we moved from Texas to New Jersey, my parents went immediately to the store to buy a bunch of Tastykakes.  They had both grown up (at least part-time) on the east coast, and I almost think that was what they missed the most when we were in Texas.

Jack- Good luck with your intervals tonight!  At least they make the miles go by faster!

Jimmy- Glad to see you getting some miles in!