Beginners and Beyond

Baltimore Marathon advises spectators on how to cheer (Read 79 times)

They probably would not approve of this one either.

Dave

onemile

When I was spectating at Ironman Mont Tremblant, at the half way point of the run, one of the triathletes jokingly said to one of the volunteers 'Almost there, right?'  And one of the spectators near me heard that and starting saying 'You're almost there!' to everyone.  I had to cringe (and I admit the evil part of me laughed).  After swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles, and running 13 miles, I would imagine you would not want to be told you're almost there when in fact you have to run 13 more miles.

Love the Half

The smartass in me always appreciates an "almost there" sign at Mile 2 of a marathon.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

The smartass in me always appreciates an "almost there" sign at Mile 2 of a marathon.

At mile 2, it's funny. At mile 24, not so much.

Dave

B-Plus

I'm just glad that people come out. Say whatever the fuck you want or display whatever message you want on your sign. I really appreciate it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

From a local perspective, not new news. They've had the directions since at least 2011. Usually someone has a sign at the sponsored "merge mile" that it's 10 miles until you get beer.

Zelanie

For the Portland Marathon, there were a hundred million signs hung on poles supporting Gary Gnu.  They were funny at first, but I hated that guy by the end.

Cyberic

Dave, lol

delicate flower

I've told people "You're not almost there!"  It's funny because I am a runner too.

<3

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

When I was spectating at Ironman Mont Tremblant, at the half way point of the run, one of the triathletes jokingly said to one of the volunteers 'Almost there, right?'  And one of the spectators near me heard that and starting saying 'You're almost there!' to everyone.  I had to cringe (and I admit the evil part of me laughed).  After swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles, and running 13 miles, I would imagine you would not want to be told you're almost there when in fact you have to run 13 more miles.

This year I went to go watch part of the bike portion of Ironman Wisconsin because it's an easy walk from my house.  I parked myself at the bottom of a very small hill -- a hill that would be just a blip to someone on a 112 mile bike ride.  I've ridden up this hill countless times.  You don't even really think about it.  A lady about halfway up the hill was telling the athletes, "You're almost there!"   I was like, "WTF is this lady doing?!  They still have like half the race left!"  Then I realized she was talking about being almost up the "hill".  Moron. 

Running is dumb.

RSX

"You're all winners" is from Seinfeld and my wife will say that to be amusing occasionally. I always prefer to hear cheers that make me laugh.

Love the Half

I saw this one around Mile 21 in Boston:

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

onemile

There was a sign at my last half that said "I don't do marathons, I do marathoners" 

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Exactly! I usually hear it around mile 2 or 3 and it makes me laugh. You gotta have a sense of humor if you're going to subject yourself to running a marathon.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.