Beginners and Beyond

OK B&B- talk to me about Marathon training and racing for a novice. (Read 117 times)

on my way to badass

Jay, Lurch and DR (among others) have inspired me to at least consider a FM.  I looked at the Hal Higdon Novice plan and it looks like something I could manage time wise.  What say you all?  I'm looking at 5.5 hours give or take.

Really, what is the point of running a marathon?  Just to say you did it?   To do penance for some horrible crime? JK.  When does the madness end and you stop going longer distances?  Let's hear it!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

I guess I'm doing it just to say I did, that I can do it.

With a month and a half to go I'm ready to say screw this, I wish I had never signed up for it. My goal I guess is to not die and finish before the sun goes down. I'd be happy with a 5:30 but at this point I may not even make 6.

Docket_Rocket

I think the Hal Higdon plans are good enough to take you to the finish line, so for a beginner marathoner, it's a good choice.

"Really, what is the point of running a marathon?"  It's the only distance I like to race.  You either like the distance or not.  I, for one, like going out for 3-4 hour long runs, so going out and running 4-5 hours on a marathon is fun for me.

"When does the madness end and you stop going longer distances?"  Never!  In fact, I am starting to delve on ultra marathons and I don't see myself going down to half marathons unless I have to run with my husband (forced to it).

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Still considering.  Thanks for the input PAD and Damaris.  I've got some time(registration opens March 4), the race is in October, although it sells out fast.  Course closes at 5:30, so I would have to be pretty certain of finishing on a 12:XX pace.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Still considering.  Thanks for the input PAD and Damaris.  I've got some time, the race is in October, although it sells out fast.

I may have come across negative but don't get me wrong, I'm still going to do it. I guess it's just part of the training process(madness).

on my way to badass

I may have come across negative but don't get me wrong, I'm still going to do it. I guess it's just part of the training process(madness).

I hear you, it seems really common.

Zelanie

For me, I think it is an accomplishment.  You've run a half, so you know that while it is challenging, it's not really a distance that is too challenging for your body just distance-wise.  If you're reasonably fit, IMO, you can finish a HM.  A marathon is another beast entirely.  The distance itself is a challenge.  And so, to me, there's value in doing the run and knowing that you've been through both the training and the race and gotten to the finish.

I think it will be a while before I do another, but I'm glad I have run one.

Cyberic

I'll race my first marathon in September, and it's pretty much to say I did it. For non runners, it seems I will not be a real runner until I run a marathon.

But I am also curious at how I'll do at it. Will I bonk? Will I do great? I'll never know until I try.

MTA: Thinking of it, I'd say that reason number one is to know how I'll do, and reason number two is to check the item on the list.

Your HM time of 2:42 according to the McMillan calculator projects to a 5:40 marathon. And that thing is notoriously optimistic, especially for novices & low-mileage runners. So realistically you are probably looking at 6:00+. Look at some of the recent first-timers on the forum, Zelanie & Freesoul. Both had solid mileage & running experience behind them, had ~1:55 HM times which projects to 4:00, and both finished ~4:50. The marathon can do cruel things to you.

My 2 cents (and I am far from an expert) - focus on getting your HM time down to something like 2:20, which projects to ~5:00, to be more comfortable with making a 5:30 cutoff. And to get there the main thing to do is increase weekly mileage. Looks like you have historically been ~20mpw, I'd think you'd want to be closer to 30-40 for an extended period of time. October this year might be pushing it a bit.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

MTA: all that said, I ran my first way undertrained, and it was a hellish experience, but I was glad I did it. Because yeah, it's cool to be able to say you ran one. And having a bad experience maybe makes you swear them off, but for most people it humbles you enough to get really serious about being better trained for next time.

Dave

on my way to badass

Argh-I had a long reply typed out and my stupid phone lost it. Still thinking. If I can register for the HM that runs with this FM I probably will(it sold out in less than a day last year) and try to improve on my HM.

No more marathons

Well, you've had some nice steady mileage for the past year or so, but you would really need to ramp that up a bit.

Gotta agree with DaveP here, it might be a stretch to make a 5:30 cut off unless you can about double your mileage for the next several months.  And that comes with a great risk of injury.

As to Higdon, I've always felt that his plans are good basic plans that most of us mortal's can follow.  I've used his plans (modified somewhat) for a couple of marathons, and am currently using his half plan.

One thing you could do is register for the race (you'd only be out a little money) and start your training.  If things are going well, you show up on race day.  If not, you'll have another year of (hopefully) higher mileage as well as some of the race specific training to put you on a good path for next year.

One other recommendation - your current mileage is about level with the beginning of the Novice 2 plan.  Don't be afraid to look at both plans and even mix and match.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

on my way to badass

Well, you've had some nice steady mileage for the past year or so, but you would really need to ramp that up a bit.

Gotta agree with DaveP here, it might be a stretch to make a 5:30 cut off unless you can about double your mileage for the next several months.  And that comes with a great risk of injury.

As to Higdon, I've always felt that his plans are good basic plans that most of us mortal's can follow.  I've used his plans (modified somewhat) for a couple of marathons, and am currently using his half plan.

One thing you could do is register for the race (you'd only be out a little money) and start your training.  If things are going well, you show up on race day.  If not, you'll have another year of (hopefully) higher mileage as well as some of the race specific training to put you on a good path for next year.

One other recommendation - your current mileage is about level with the beginning of the Novice 2 plan.  Don't be afraid to look at both plans and even mix and match.

True this is probably a relatively inexpensive FM, and I have 4 months to ramp up mileage before the training plan starts. DH says to go ahead and register and try to avoid injury, and don't break down mentally if I do get injured. My house may never be clean again. MTA- Dave, I appreciate the candor.

Brilliant

I ran my first marathon last year and am signed up for it again in March.  Partly because I wanted to say "I did a marathon" but partly because I have been roped into it  by a dear friend who organizes a charity team.  I'm not looking forward to March 15.  I really wish I had waited and achieved more success at the half-marathon distance before attempting marathons.

Like DR, I don't mind running a long time; 2-3 hours seems to go by really fast when I run!  But 5-6 hours - not so much. Sad  My half-marathon PR was 2:25 when I ran the marathon last year, and it still took me 5:52 to finish the marathon.  So I would be really hesitant to sign up for a marathon which has a 5:30 limit.

on my way to badass

Thanks Brilliant! My training partner says she will register as well (she's much faster and younger than me).

Brilliant

Thanks Brilliant! My training partner says she will register as well (she's much faster and younger than me).

I don't want to be a DaveP Downer. Big grin  But right now I'm feeling like PAD - kinda dreading this last couple of months of training and then the marathon!  Ask me again on March 16. Smile

And I just looked at your log.  Your plan to ramp up miles is a good one - start increasing those miles as soon as you can, without overdoing it.