Beginners and Beyond

Up And At 'em Saturday Penguins! (Read 185 times)

Docket_Rocket

Boo.  If anything, it is a learning experience, no?  Hope they feel better soon.

They are, but it's such a slow and frustrating process and I'm just feeling overly emotional today. :/ Leg feels tight, no clue when I'll get the OK to try running again.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!!

Ran my first 10k today as part of the distance series to prep for my half in March.  Finished in 41:35, second in my age group.  Very happy, had very even pacing and paced it perfectly for my sub-1:30 goal for my half with a 6:43/mile average pace and only a 6 second spread on my splits (6:41-6:47).  I'm a very happy camper.  No bling since it's just an informal distance series, but I will get a sweatshirt at the end of the series for finishing all three races.  Smile

It was pretty funny, they had accidentally signed me up for the 20k, which I had them fix, but I still had a 20k bib, so they kind of freaked out when they saw me coming into the finish line LOL  That was after they had already freaked out when the first 10k finisher came across in 33 minutes (no one is that fast in the club).  Turns out he's a college All American visiting from Colorado, and that was 3 minutes off his PR. Shocked

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Dave - What the hell!?!?!  Slllooowwwww dooowwwnnn....LOL  Seriously though, that's awesome.  I might have been able to keep up with you for half a mile.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Awood!  That was slowing down, at least out of the gate, I made a very conscious effort to control myself off the line, so that I could try to pace it evenly, especially after my pacing debacle at the NYE race.  It feels really weird to have people in the club calling me fast. lol

-Dave

My running blog

tracilynn

Banana bread is a good sorrow drowner, yep.  Im gonna eat some pizza and lava cake in a few.

Dave,  congrats on a fantastic race.  Your splits are ridiculous! Sweatshirts are cool.  His 10k PR is faster than my 5k PR.  sick.

Damaris, congrats on your good run today.

Doc, welcome back!

Day 2 potty training my girls.  Things are looking up.  We had actual pees and poos *IN* the potty.  Big step forward from yesterday.  Cool

I just hand entered all my times into my log here, back to April.  Took forever but its done.  I also realized when I was entering my races that I used my old PR for mcmillan and the training paces I used earlier this week were wrong.  No wonder they felt Kinda easy.  Derrrr.

~~~~~~~

Traci

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Dave - yeah, nothing wrong with that pace at all... wow.

AFM - had planned on hiking a trail but ran out of time/didn't plan right.  So, flew home after shopping and had enough time for 3 on the dreadmill.  Now to hit the shower and fly out the door to the last of the holiday get togethers and all the associated food.   No wonder I've plateaued!  LOL

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Traci and Vance!

I was updating my signature and realized that my 10k from today was only 1 second slower than my 8k from last June. Smile  Gotta love that.

-Dave

My running blog

SheCan

Congratulations on 2nd place AG win, Dtothe2nd!  You're speedy!

Had an easy 5 miles today and did a short bonus hike up a mountain!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks Traci and Vance!

I was updating my signature and realized that my 10k from today was only 1 second slower than my 8k from last June. Smile  Gotta love that.

Must be the Garmin.  I better get my 410 exchanged soon.

hog4life

Hey Pengs, I finally woke up and am having some coffee. I'll be heading out for a run here shortly, it's raining and I hope it stops soon. It's currently 44 degrees and cooling off, cold rain is bad, right?

Zelanie

I find that raining in the 40s isn't so bad, it's when it gets below 40 that is no fun.  Hope you get out there soon!

Dad on the run.

So only got 8 miles in this week so far, HM in Feb is looking more and more like a bad idea, but I'm committed even if it takes me 3 hours to finish it....

Had planned on 7 miles today but one thing lead to another and by the time we got ready to go it had started raining and was really cold. I don't mind cold and I don't mind rain, but I'm not a big fan of them together so I am going to get my 7 in tomorrow and that will at least put me at 15 for the week. I'm on nights the rest of this month though so that will make running a lot easier because I can get up and run while no one is at the house.

Oh, started the Paleo diet today with DW. We had Italian eggs for breakfast, egg benedict burgers with avocado, and beef stew for dinner. First day went pretty well but we did have to veer off a little and get a diet soda for a quick caffeine fix, I know diet drinks are terrible but desperate time called for desperate measures...

Anyways, hope you are all having a good day, I'm getting off to watch Fellowship of the Ring with DW.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

I find that raining in the 40s isn't so bad, it's when it gets below 40 that is no fun.  Hope you get out there soon!

Zel, with that kind of conditions, how do you layer? Do you have a running jacket(shell)?

Zelanie

I don't have a shell.  I'm thinking I can get by this season without one.  For tech shirts, I only have short sleeve regular or one long sleeve cold gear, nothing in between.

For 40's, I run in tights, shorts, a short sleeve tech shirt, goves, and a hoodie.

For 30's, I go to the cold gear shirt, and add a cap or an ear warmer band.  I wear my heavier gloves too.  That's been good down to 28, which is the coldest I've run in so far.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Lauren - If you have to be sad, being sad with banana bread...at least you've got banana bread.

HeyDoc - Welcome to the Penguins!  It's good to meet you.  We're a friendly crowd.

LOL!!!!!!n  I haz the serious hate for internet on the phone but I have my computer back now so all is right in the world.

I'm guessing that in the week or so I've been gone, Dave is now running 28 miles/day in about 2 hrs and Awood is on day 119 of a running streak.  And continued losing weight through the holidays.  And Scotty completed about 10 5k's.  Am I close?