Beginners and Beyond

It's The Penguin's Weekender (Read 21 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy weekend and National Ice Cream Sandwich Day !!!

3 mile recovery run for us.  Not much else planned.

PADRunner

Morning! 4 miles done. Going on a group bike ride later.

I'm going for National Watermelon day tomorrow! I think it deserves a whole weekend!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have some miles with hubby tonight.

Jerry, hmm, ice cream.  Enjoy the 3.  Are you volunteering at Chicago again?  Cause I'm running it.

PAD, nice 4.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

I love ice cream sandwiches and watermelon (not together) Publix has an ice cream sandwich that has birthday cake ice cream in it. Yum.

I did 4 this morning. Positive split the whole thing. Ha  It was tough for me at times but I never walked. I looked back in my log and its been 5 months since I ran 4 miles.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning!  I have some miles with hubby tonight.

Jerry, hmm, ice cream.  Enjoy the 3.  Are you volunteering at Chicago again?  Cause I'm running it.

PAD, nice 4.

We have to since we missed you last year.   Ask hubby if he is interested in joining us.

Zelanie

Hey guys!  I damn near covered a marathon yesterday!

7.5 miles (the only running miles) in the AM.  Then in the afternoon, I had an errand to run, probably about 4 miles round trip.

I got a short nap in, then we left for our long walk just before 9.  It took 6 hours, so we got in just before 3.  Then It took another hour and a half to get home (and we were lucky).

I plotted what I think was our route on map my run, and came up with this:

Walk to Cartago

13.46 miles, 1,370 feet elevation gain.

Add it all up, and you have 25 miles for the day.  Plus I didn't get to bed until like 5AM.   Don't think I will run today, because I care more about my long run tomorrow.

SheCan

National Ice cream day is a Penguins favorite day of the year!

Hey Jerry!

PAD-- enjoy your bike ride.  Wonder if they have watermelon icecream?

DR-- wow, you're in every marathon  I think!  That surgery sure didn't keep you down long.   Have fun on your run with DH tonight.

Traci-- Great job on the run.  Next time hopefully it'll be easier.

Zelanie-- I'm glad you got to experience the pilgrimage!  It sounds like a tough day, but  we know you're a tough lady.  Hope you had fun, and have no regrets.  :-)

This week was awesome as far as weather.  Today I got in 6 & 1/2.  Nope, Scotty, no 110* temps for us at least not this week. Generally when it rains here, it's between 15-20* less here, than in Phoenix.  (My honey is wanting to make a trip up there sometime this week, UGH!)  Course when it's sunny here, it still gets pretty darned warm.  Today, thankfully, it was only about 72* AND overcast when I finished up my run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 mile family trot this morning.

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Now they tell us !!!   We did our 3 mile recovery anyway.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-fitness/run-your-life-5-minutes-day-may-be-all-you-n166871

Zelanie

Here is my blog post with the TL;DR version of last night's adventure.  Or, feel free to scroll through and look at the pictures, or find the links to the 2 videos.

Jerry- Maybe I will see the Dos Pinos ice cream guy out today!

PAD- Watermelon appears to be one of the fruits that upsets my stomach when I run. Sad  Enjoy the bike ride!

D- Enjoy the run with hubby!

Traci- Woohoo!  Nice 4!

Jerry- This year, you will know to wear old shoes to the volunteer gig!

Cherie- Glad you've had such good weather to run in!

Robert- Good job!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, this should make Damaris a little envious.   Got up this morning to go run and it was a sweeeet 68 degrees in San Antonio, humidity of only 79% and dew-point in the low 60s.  We did not get much rain from that 'cold front' that was north of San Antonio, but this was a nice fall-out from it.   I went to one of the 10 city YMCAs I can use and did 3.4 nice miles on some trails in a local park and it felt GREAT out there.

After my run I headed to the campus of the university where I work:  University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA).  Our football team's opening game is on August 29th and today was fan appreciation day.  Gail and I love football and we have been season ticket holders since UTSA  started its football program in 2011.   A few of the team-members who started with the team in 2011 are now Seniors so it is a bitter-sweet season for them, having played for the team since it started up and now they will be graduating this year, in December.

Our coach is Larry Coker, who used to coach the Miami Hurricanes.  Like me, his mother is a cancer survivor.  I gave him one of my shirts - the first thing Gail said was "a clean one I hope!"  lol; yes, it was clean. I told him feel free to stick the shirt in the team locker room somewhere or use it however he wants and maybe at a game when any of the players might be struggling a bit, they can look at this, and realize there are people 'out there' digging down deep every day to overcome significant struggles themselves, whatever they may be,  and they can sure do the same.  Never Give Up!

Coach was very nice and let me have a photo with him.

photo 001_zps9c428b69.jpg

Of course, Gail and I also had to get photos with the team mascot Rowdy RoadRunner.  Our university  team name is "RoadRunners" and "Runners" for short.  Naturally, I like that!

photo 003_zpsaaa481dd.jpg

photo 002_zps74eaf8f4.jpg

And, of course, I had to get a photo with some of our cheerleaders

photo 004_zpsb31df79c.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning Penguins, 7 done and It's watermelon time. My go on a group hike later.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  A bike ride or a short run tonight.

Sounds like Scotty had fun.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

PAD, nice job on the 7.  What's your longest run to date?  When is your marathon?

Damaris

Fundraising Page