Beginners and Beyond

Whens-daily Penguins (Read 22 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Falling down is how we grow. Staying down is how we die."

- Brian Vaszily

PADRunner

Morning Penguins, 4 done this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  A run tonight, depending on the breathing.

Nice 4, PAD.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.2 miles at a local park after work yesterday.   Weather was very pleasant, only 81 degrees, 52% humidity, dewpoint in the 50s also, nice.   This morning Gail's alarm went off at 5 a.m. as she has to prepare an event for work today; so since I was up anyway, I got my running gear on, went to the university campus and knocked out 3.4 miles.   The weather was even nicer this morning,  a sweet 61 degrees.  It's staying darker later though, darn the luck.  But I managed to finish in such a timely manner that I was able to sit on the bench outside the university gym and enjoy the view of a splendid sunrise giving the campus buildings and grounds a soft red/orange glow.   Of course, when I run in the mornings, that means I have to stay at work about an hour later than normal to make up the time, but that's okay, it's worth it.

Way to go on the 4, PAD.

Hope your breathing behaves, Damaris.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning PAD and DR and Pens.  I think my legs will be up for 4 miles this afternoon.  Soreness almost gone.

DW and I were talking about an article in yesterday's WSJ about HMs popularity so now she wants to run a 3/4 Marathon next year.  Are there training plans for the 3QM?

Zelanie

Jerry- The Canadians have the answer for you- a 30K training plan!  You'll have to make it through the extra 1.5 K on your own somehow.

DD and I are going to the Oatmeal's book signing in Portland after work today!  There's also a group run beforehand, but there's no way that I will be able to get there in time.  But we will be able to get our books signed!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a sore scratchy throat earlier this week and was just exhausted Tuesday evening, so I took a sick day yesterday and slept in, vegged, etc.  I definitely feel better today, so who knows whether it was a burgeoning cold or allergies, but tomorrow will be so crazy I'll need the extra oomph!  Tomorrow is Core Expo Day, so my tech and I have to put up a poster and then spend 4 hours standing around talking to people about it.  Which means I have to dress up, ugh!  Then I have seminar in the afternoon, and at chorus my director wants to see our white blouses and black pants, so I have to be all spiffy there too.  Luckily there's not much going on today, the calm before the storm!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 4!!

Docket -- hope your lungs let you run!!

Scotty -- sounds like a nice run this morning, even if you do have to work late!!

Jerryb -- Didn't know there was such a thing!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

(Waves hello to Zel!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins!

Sorry I've been gone lately, but it's been C-R-A-Z-Y at work. Right now we have a very minimally manned shop, but we are still producing products like we have our full shop. Makes for some fun times I tell ya!

I have a few miles to do this morning and then it's off to the grindstone!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning all!

I will drag myself out for at least 3 miles soon.  Feeling extra bummy today - I hate the dreariness of the rain.

Good job getting it done PAD and Scotty - I hope to be in your position soon.

DR - good luck with the lungs - I had pretty bad asthma as a teen (but I seem to have grown out of it, I don't even carry my rescue inhaler anymore - no real attacks in 10 years) so I know how much it sucks :-/

Jerry - hope your 4 goes well

Zel - have fun at the book signing!

HsM - feel better, there's a pretty gross cold/cough/throat thing going around NYC right now

Good luck Rach.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

PAD - good job on the early miles

Scotty - sounds like a lovely way to start the day.

D - I hope your breathing is better this evening.  Do you know why it's acting up so much right now?

Jerry - I've never heard of a 3/4 marathon.  Where will you run this?

Z - have fun at the book signing.

HopesMom - I hope you've cured what ailed you.  Good luck with your busy (and dressy) day tomorrow.

RAch - what products do you produce?  Good luck getting it done with reduced personnel. Hope you had a good run.

sapf - I agree, the grey wet is depressing.  I hope you got your three in.

AFM:  Wet here again, so I'll probably do a few miles on the TM later.  I'm trying to decide whether to do a 10k this weekend.  I haven't raced since last spring, also a 10k, and don't feel like I've made any speed improvement in the months since.  Since that last race was dead flat (rail trail) and this will be a more normal rolling hill race, I'll probably do worse than last time.  OTOH, aside from a turkey trot, there aren't a lot more chances to race this fall/winter.  There's a HM this weekend as well, but it costs more than I'm wanting to pay given my lack of training for it. But it is on a relatively easy course, so it is tempting.  Or I may just skip them both.  I've gained weight and done very little speedwork, so I doubt I'll see a lot of improvement, at any distance.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The pollen vortex.  Constant summer has caused Miami to have permanent allergy season all year long.  Plus the environment is getting fucked up and the air condition is worse.

sapf, I don't carry my rescue inhaler and have not used it in two years.  But I did have an attack in Chicago, so I am planning on carrying it for 2-3 more marathons until it goes back down.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Got 3.2 miles done in the dreary mist.  It wasn't actually that bad to run in, just very windy.

DR - attacks are really scary.  Do medical tents usually have albuterol on hand?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What's up with this crazy and sad shooting in Ottawa?  I thought Canadians were always so polite to each other.  Very sad for the families of the victims.

so now she wants to run a 3/4 Marathon next year   Just three-fourths of a half, Jerry, not the whole thing?     Glad your legs are feeling better.

Z, will there be free oatmeal at the book signing too?  Have fun!

Sounds like a very hectic day for you tomorrow, HsM!  Rest up today.

Right now we have a very minimally manned shop, but we are still producing products like we have our full shop. Makes for some fun times I tell ya!  I sure can relate to that, my office is the same way right now!  And it doesn't help much that we just moved into a brand new building, which is still not quite fully completed, so we have construction folks walking back-and-forth by us all work day long.  Although one of the ladies in our office mentioned she kinda enjoys that part...   Hope your workload quiets down soon for you, Rach!

I wish we would even GET some rain, sapf.  Weather is getting cooler, but we still haven't had any major rain and we sure need it badly, we are still in drought conditions and under water restrictions.  Send some of that rain our way, please.  Hope your miles helped you feel less bummy.

But Ginny, why do you have to RACE the event?  Just go out and do the 10K as a fun run.  Leave your watch at home, don't even worry about the time, just go run and have fun with it, maybe even carry your camera and take some photos before and after.  No pressure...and with no pressure, I bet you will just kick back and 'run happy'....and then when you see the finish clock, I bet you will be surprised at how much better you did than you thought you would.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

Last miles before the UCP Life Without Limits HM, DONE.  Getting ready to travel to NW Alabama Thursday morning.  Excited to meet Mitch and his wonderful wife (Connie), Traci, jblackjr, and .....

Running for TJ because he can't.