Beginners and Beyond

Running my first HM this Saturday. (Read 106 times)

robinde

I'm feeling very anxious about it.  I originally signed up for this race as a "practice" for the real one in May.  When I signed up, my intention was to use it as a way to practice my pre-race routine, water stops, etc...  I wasn't going to "race" it and just treat it like a normal long run.  Now, I feel like I'd like to give it a race effort except I have now idea what that really means.  I'm picking up my race packet at lunch and I'm nauseous just thinking about it.  What the hell???  Part of the reason might be because I had a crappy week last week due to illness and in my head I'm questioning my fitness.  This week is going well and I've been resisting the urge to want to "cram for the test", but I can't help doubt myself.  Has anyone else felt this neurotic before their first race??

@runjerseygirl

I have no advice, just some sympathy.  My first is next weekend, and I'm having the same anxiety.  Especially because DH is coming, and he's never been to one of my races.  Not to mention the fact that when I started running, a half was my "long-term goal."  Now that it's here, I am freaking out a bit.

Do you even run?

Mostly harmless

I'm feeling very anxious about it.  I originally signed up for this race as a "practice" for the real one in May.  When I signed up, my intention was to use it as a way to practice my pre-race routine, water stops, etc...  I wasn't going to "race" it and just treat it like a normal long run.  Now, I feel like I'd like to give it a race effort except I have now idea what that really means.  I'm picking up my race packet at lunch and I'm nauseous just thinking about it.  What the hell???  Part of the reason might be because I had a crappy week last week due to illness and in my head I'm questioning my fitness.  This week is going well and I've been resisting the urge to want to "cram for the test", but I can't help doubt myself.  Has anyone else felt this neurotic before their first race??

My 2 cents is to stick with your plan.  I really like the idea of a "practice" race!  I'm sure that will lead to less surprises when you run the "real" race in May.  Treat this like a dress rehearsal and run it at your long run pace.  Enjoy the atmosphere and make it fun!  We run because it's fun, right?

MTA: Another bonus to running this one at LR pace is you'll get a great PR in May! Big grin

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Zelanie

I ran a "practice" 10 mi a month before my "real" HM (this Sunday), and it was great.  I felt like my job wasn't to have a time goal as much as test out a pace and see what it felt like.  My job wasn't to push myself, but to find out what my current level of fitness was so that I could have realistic expectations for my goal race.  And thinking about it like that, I was able to relax and have fun with it.

I hope that you have a good time this weekend too, once you're off and running! Smile

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

You're not going to lose your aerobic base in a week. The one thing that I've learned when it comes to racing: Trust your training.

- Andrew

Better I Leave

I still remember the excitement and anxiety of my first HM. I'd only been running for 4 months and I didn't have a clue of what I was doing. I kinda figured that I should just....run, right? I told myself, and my wife, that I'd be happy if I could finish in 2:30. I went in "thinking" I could do it, but prepared to accept whatever came of it.

I still do that today. Sure I have a goal, but it's not a "do or die" thing for me. If I attain it...great. If not...There's always another race. Running isn't "my life"...It's simply a part of my life. Running makes me feel good. Races are exciting and fun. Not sure if this helps at all, but just a few thoughts from a rank amateur. Big grin

Philliefan33

Add me to the list of first-time HMers starting to fret a little.  Mine is in 2.5 weeks.  I'm confident I can cover the distance, but I have no idea how to "race" it.  I'm liking the attitude of treating this HM as a practice, and doing anouther one in the fall.

I should start thinking of 4/28 as a regularly scheduled LR that happens to have  water stops and 4,000 other runners.

robinde

My 2 cents is to stick with your plan.  I really like the idea of a "practice" race!  I'm sure that will lead to less surprises when you run the "real" race in May.  Treat this like a dress rehearsal and run it at your long run pace.  Enjoy the atmosphere and make it fun!  We run because it's fun, right?

MTA: Another bonus to running this one at LR pace is you'll get a great PR in May! Big grin

You're right.  I need to just relax and have fun.  Thank you for the advice.

Rondog65

Congrats to all who are running your Half Marathons, nothing inspirational, just relax and enjoy, you earned it!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck.  Just run as you feel that day.  There is nothing wrong with a dress rehearsal race!

Damaris

I felt this way before my first FM. (My first HM is next month.) I remember how difficult it was to resist doing too much in the weeks leading up to the race.

Stick to your training plan, place one foot in front of the other again and again, and have fun.

LRB

Some of you nervous first time half marathoners run more miles and have more of a clue than I ever did for my first!

For me, race day is special.  It's the day that I have envisioned, the day I have practically replayed a thousand times in my head.  I know we all are different, but win lose or draw, race day is why we do what we do.

Be confident, believe in yourself.  Trust that when you are out there during mile 11 with your ass dragging across the ground, you will be the only one who can pick it up and bring it across that finish line.  Not your spouse, not your kids, not one single relative.  It's going to come down to you.

Embrace this time, revel in it.  Taste it, want it.  Because the race and everything you put into it will be here and gone before you know it.  In other words, don't let anxiety prevent you from smelling the flowers.

robinde

Embrace this time, revel in it.  Taste it, want it.  Because the race and everything you put into it will be here and gone before you know it.  In other words, don't let anxiety prevent you from smelling the flowers.

Love this.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

First race or first HM? I can understand anxiety before a goal race like your one in May, but racing it or not this is still only a stepping stone or rehersal for your goal race. No one, I repeat, no one, besides you and maybe some friends and relatives will even be aware of your performance and they should all be supportive. It's a learning experience so you'll know better what to expect and what to do in May. Would you be anxious about homework or a quiz when you know your grade is based on the final exam? While it's too late for you to work any into your schedule, this is one of the reasons why I encourage beginners to cut their teeth on 5Ks and 10Ks, especially small, local races with no pressure to do well because there's no big commitment to them and they can still gain that experience of what it's like on race day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RunswithBeer

My first HM is on May 5 and you guys have really encouraged me and helped with the anxiety that has already set in.

I am going to crush this.

Thanks