Beginners and Beyond

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these WEDNESDAY PENGUINS (Read 26 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Hi folks!  Did I mention yesterday that we are getting flooding AND droughts?  The rain and snow from the past week is causing some minor flooding as it runs off into the streams, but we haven't had enough precipitation over the whole winter to get enough snowpack in the mountains to avoid a drought this summer.  At least we're catching up a bit I guess!  And honestly the flooding is pretty minor still, really.  Except that I am sticking to neighborhood streets because parts of the park are under water.

Today is the group track workout and my 8th straight day running.  Rest day tomorrow!  But for tonight, 5 x 800.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Zel: that's a nice little streak you have.

Tonight I have a tempo run, five or six miles. We'll see.

See ya.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It's a weird day here today, highs near 60, but there's still a bunch of snow lying around.  I'm not complaining, though, because even if it's drizzly and muddy, I'M NOT FREEZING!!!  And that makes me happy!!  I might make it out for another walk today, we'll see.  My quartet had a gig last night which was a blast, such nice people we sang for!  But of course my knee is nagging me today.  

Zelanie -- flooding and droughts, wow!  Sounds like the apocalypse ...

Jack -- have a good tempo run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Gym at some point this afternoon - planning for weights and 2 miles on the treadmill, but my boss needs to borrow my editing skills so it may end up being just the 2 miles if I go too late to snag a bench or squat rack.

on my way to badass

Morning penguins!

Z- drought and floods=Apocolypse Now

Jack- Enjoy the tempo.

HsM- I hope you get the walk in and enjoy the warm weather.

Lauren- enjoy the gym!

I start training tomorrow!  10K is 9.5 weeks away. Program is 10 weeks.   I would have been right on program if not for this blasted virus and the ensuing symptoms that persist still.  I'm hoping a week off will not hurt my fitness to awfully much.  Tomorrow it is supposed to be near 40F.  I'm running if it kills me.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Dad on the run.

Stone - Please don't let it kill you, our penguin population has dwindled enough with people that have left.

AFM - I did 6.2 of hills yesterday along with a 1 mile around the neighborhood with DD when I got home. She is too stinkin' cute out there running. We covered 1 mile in 15:10 I just let her run/walk whenever she wants.

Made it to the gym this morning, first time back in like 2 weeks. I've decided to just do 2 days a week full body workouts, low weight - hi reps, since my running is finally starting to ramp back up! I've got about 5 weeks before I start my 8 week 10k program and that will either make me or break me, its going to be hard as hell, I've never ran that much or that hard in the two years I've been running so we will see how that goes. I'm hoping though that all the hard training  will help me be able to run a sub 50min 10k.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Z - congratulations on the good streak.  You really have been putting in some good miles.  I hope you don't get flooded too badly.

Jack - enjoy your tempo run.

HM - walking may actually help the knee.  It usually helps me when I'm hurting.  Enjoy the spring weather.

Lauren - enjoy your time at the gym, however you spend it.  Are the resolutioners starting to drop out, or has the winter weather kept people coming?

Stonefence - a week off won't hurt, and may help you start fresher, if you really are over the virus.  Is the program you're following a difficult one?  You and Jimmy can compare notes, since you're both starting at the same time.

Jimmy - I think it's great that she enjoys running with you.  Which 10k program are you following?

AFM:  if the leg behaves, I'll do 4 or 5 miles later, probably on the TM.  Streets and sidewalks are still a mess and I don't want to drive all the way to the park.  Besides, if my leg acts up again, I don't want to be 3 miles away.  That was part of my problem last time:  I was 5 miles from home when it started to hurt, so I had to keep going.

From the Internet.

Ginny - it's a university gym so we had a late wave of resolutioners when the undergraduates came back at the end of January, I actually had to wait for a treadmill a few times (we have something absurd like 20-30 of them so it's really unusual to have to wait)! It's been a little quieter the last week or two but I've also been going at weird hours - hopefully it won't be too crazy whenever I make it over there today.

Dad on the run.

Ginny - I'm going to attempt the Hal Higdon advanced 10k program...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So yesterdays run SUCKED. I have off my fulltime job at a school this whole week because schools here have President's Week off (we love our presidents I guess!) And only have my part time evening jobs Tues, Weds and Thurs so I stayed in Maryland at my boyfriend's til yesterday morning. It was still too crappy out to run outside so I decided that if I had to run on a TM I might as well get on the road and do it at home (he had already left for work). So I did it on the TM after I worked yesterday evening. My legs were REALLY sore (walking the BFs dog through a foot and a half of snow and on icy roads for 3+ days twice a day I think used my leg muscles very differently ) and I could barely manage recovery pace with lots of walk breaks. I wanted 3.5 miles but I cut it short at 2.5. I felt like it was too painful to be beneficial. I walked another mile slowly.

Today was a different story though. Had a kick ass spin class and felt great!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

I had to share this picture.  I just thought it was so funny:

Yeah, we've kinda had a rough winter this year.

Z-- you're such a focused runner.  Great job to you!

HsM-- sorry your knee is bugging you.

Lauren-- good luck at the gym today!  Hey, at least you feel needed at work.

SF-- you still have plenty of time.  You'll be fine.  You sound so excited!

Jimmy-- Oh I bet she really is a doll out there running.  You're such a good role model for her.

kristin-- some days are like that, just plain crappy.  Glad you had a better day in spin class today.

I did an hour on the stationary bike and will do some weights and core work in a bit.  Tomorrow I'm going to go hiking in the canyons a bit with a friend.  I'm needing more time in nature, so I'm kind of excited.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Dad on the run.

She Can - Thanks! I try to do the best I can Smile Hiking sounds fun! I miss hiking but can't really do it right now with DW pregnant. Soon as DS gets big enough though I'm going to stick his little but in my hiking child carrier pack and hit the trails. DD should be fine walking with us by then.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh yeah, almost forgot, here is an update on my cousin's wife:

She is being moved from the hospital to a rehab facility this week (as soon as tomorrow if either of their top 2 choices have a bed for her and approve all the paperwork) where she will live for about a month and have lots of physical, occupational, and speech therapy. The deficits that she has seem more related to the stroke she sustained at some point during the whole ordeal rather then the cyst that was in her brain that started it all and has now been surgically removed. The stroke was in the back left side of the brain, and is affecting her vision and right side of the body. She is having trouble with peripheral vision and depth perception, and with her right foot. Since she woke up from a medically induced coma a week and a half ago, she has been having trouble recalling new information and focusing. For example she could be told her doctor's name several times a day and not remember it. However, this is improving and she is able to recall specific details from earlier in the day and the day before. Of course, the most difficult thing is the fact that she had completely lost memory of the previous 2-3 years of her life. Unfortunately that all includes a cross country move, a new house, a new job, and most importantly marrying my cousin (September of 2011) and having her daughter (born November 2013). She remembered my cousin (and told him many times she loves him!) as they had dated several years before getting married, but did not know they were married and did not know she had become a mother. WELL.....all of her memory has not come back, sadly, but some things ARE coming back.... she remembered her iPad password (she has had the iPad less than 2 years.....such a small thing but still a memory from the last 2 years!), and recalled a few specific details about their wedding day! It seems a few memories here and there are seeping back in!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

on my way to badass

Hey Cherie-  I am excited to start the training plan.  It doesn't sound hard to me except for the logistics of finding a track that isn't covered in snow.  I will substitute hills for track workouts as needed.  Hills I have all around me.  I'll attempt to put the training plan in my training log as I have time and internet access.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28