Beginners and Beyond

Penguins, It's a Day Closer to the Showdown...... (Read 196 times)

hog4life

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!
    What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."
    It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

hog4life

You know, the "it's on like donkey kong" showdown between Zelanie and awood. Good luck to both of you!

I'm in need of a RD, legs have been rather stiff all night. Have a good day!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Mitch and other Penguins to follow!

Yesterday was my weight machine gym routine. Did planks while watching the 12/12/12 Sandy concert.

I fixed the toilet and did it with only one trip to the store!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!!  Got 5 miles in yesterday, outside again.  Want to get in a LR while weather is good.  DW leg is a little sore, so I might be solo.

Good luck AW and Melanie.

BTW, We celebrated 12.12.12 with 12 oz. of Shiner

Jerry

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Pushing my run to this evening due to rain.  My new NB waterproof/windproof shell arrived yesterday, but I'm not that eager to try it out. lol

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Philliefan33

Good morning.

Mitch -- You have my permission to take a rest day.  And if possible, find a hot tub to soak those legs.

Gustav -- I'm impressed.  DH usually needs at least two trips to the store for any home repair.  But he's getting smart now -- the first trip he buys more than he thinks he needs in myriad sizes and the second trip he takes 80% back for return.

AFM, the food binge starts at lunch.  Today is the free holiday lunch at the cafeteria and tomorrow is my group's Christmas potluck lunch.  I'm usually pretty disciplined about my eating habits at work (don't go out for lunch or order hoagies with the gang) but I'm making an exception this week. 

4 - 5 miles planned for tonight.

Philliefan33

Jerry and Dave, you snuck in on me.  Good morning to you also!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning. Did not manage to wake up in time to run this morning. Really wondering what the heck is wrong with me and why I've turned into a zombie this week! I had 2 different nightmares about my upcoming race last night too. Both were about running late for various reasons and getting lost on the way. What the heck is that about?! Haha

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Good morning! Best of luck on your races. Hoping for 8 today. I've been away a bit. My big has had school projects, my little had a stomach virus followed my a terrible cold (so I've been holding her non-stop), my Hub has been gone from 7 am to 8 pm most days, so I'm doing what I can.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ran some this morning with more tonight with the running group.

It's hot and humid.  Bah!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Mitch, thanks for starting..Have a good RD..

Gustav, handyman! Fixed the toilet by yourself..

Jerry, well done on the 5M yday.. Hope you get your run in today.

Dave, hope the weather behave for your later.

Margo, enjoy the food..

Kristin, what is your upcoming races? Being a little jittery is normal..

Kara, hope your small one is better now..

Damaris, morning.. Enjoy your run with the group later..

Ran 7M easy today. Ran 5 x800m yday @ 3:45-4:00.. Haven't ran VO2 for a while..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

His Slowness

Good morning Penguins.

Mitch – enjoy the rest day.

Gustav – congrats on the toilet! 

Jerry – enjoy the weather while you have it.

Dave – I hope the rain moves on before evening.

Phillie – I know the feeling.  We’ve already had two at work and our choir dinner is this weekend. 

Kristin – good luck this weekend.

Kara – good luck carving out some time for yourself.

Damaris – It is the opposite of hot and humid here in Alabama this morning. 

Bin – something about 7M and easy eludes me.  Hope the young one is better now.

AFM – It’s a rest day.  Youngest son will be in from school for the holidays sometime this afternoon.

Happy Friday Eve!

Bill

Zelanie

So in the movies, it would cut to a scene of Awood and I each running stadium steps and doing pushups I guess. Big grin  Instead I think I'll run with the social club tonight.  It's supposed to be 37 and raining though, yikes!  That's also the forecast for my race, but with more rain and wind.  Love you, Oregon!

Mitch- Thanks for getting us started.  Almost done with 3rd shift, yes?

Gustav- Congrats on your plumbing success!  Hope your party goes well.

Jerry- Enjoy the LR!

D2- Let me know if you like the windproof/waterproof shell.  I'm sort of wondering if it might be better to just get wet than to trap all the sweat at the base layer.  But with the wet winters we have it does sound kind of nice.

Margo- I think it's good to make exceptions to our usual food routines at times!

Kristin- I have those kind of dreams pretty regularly.  Usually it means I'm stressed about something and need to relax.  Easier said than done sometimes.

Kara- Hang in there!

D- I would take hot and humid today!

Bin- Nice run yesterday!

Bill- Enjoy the RD.  Glad that your son is coming in for the holidays!

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

Mitch! Good to know your name lol.  Enjoy your rest day

Gustav- You are doing aweosme with the weights. And congrats on having a fixed toilet.

Jerry- Congrats on the 5!

Dave- Let me know how you like your new gear!  I have 0 cold weather gear and I think I must invest in some soon.

PF- It's hard to stick to 100% healthy especially around the hollidays.  Enjoy your run today!

Kristin- I think it's because you know you worked hard to prepare for the run so youre not worried about perfomance but since you are thinking about the races so much getting lost or running late is the only thing to worry about!

Karaln- I know how you feel.  I was upset yesterday because my boyfriend got home late because of traffic and I didn't have a chance to run.  Being a mom and runner you gotta get it in when you can.

Docket- Two a days! NICE!

Bin- Nice job on getting 7 in already! Which race are you training for?

Bill- Enjoy the rest day!

Zelanie- I'm not a fan of rain running.  Weather man are always wrong right?  Maybe it will hold off until after the race.  Fingers crossed!

As for me.. I ACTUALLY DID IT!!!! I knew I would not get my run in unless I started getting up early. And I actually did it today!  5am I was up and bundled up and I got in a 4 mile run before the BF left for work.  I am so proud of myself.  I think this may become an everyday thing! I'm also working in some strength training today.

I decided to forgo the training schedule and just run.  It seems I do better like that.  I'm going to incorperate 1 long run a week and a strength training day as well.

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

Good morning friends,

Mitch - thanks for getting us going today and enjoy the rest day.

Gustav- good job on the DIY project.

Jerry- I have two Holiday Shiner's left from this weekend that were calling my name last night. I wish I had drank them last night as they were calling my name this AM after my run Smile

Dave- I mis-read your post earlier- I thought you were waiting of the rain to get a run in so that you could try your new gear. I am sure your 8 later will be good.

Phillie- we have to be human sometimes with the food. Thurdays is me day where I eat cafeteria food. Its mexican every thursday and it isnt half bad. good luck on the miles later.

Kristin - maybe our body is telling you that you need some rest. have a great day.

kara- you are not doing that project for your kid are you? we have parents who do that all the time. Good luck on the miles later...you will rock em.

Damaris BA- if you are pulling a double, you must be feeling better.

Bin- 800's are tough - way to go buddy.

Bill- Enjoy the rest day.

AFM - my eight this am was pretty slow. I wasnt feelin it this am. I thought about bailing at my 4 Mi turn around, then thought about bailing at the 5 mi turnaround, at the 6 mi turnaround I said, "crap just do the workout that you are supposed to do." Some Outkast started playing and I had a good time for at least 3 minutes Smile  I did see 7 shooting stars and this was pretty cool. life is good. Tonight I get to attend the school band concert - this is three hours of my life I will never get back.

make today great,

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas