Beginners and Beyond

It's Monday Once Again Penguins! (Read 39 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Yesterday I did 1 hour on the bike trainer and ran my 2 mile "long run". Today is a total rest day - I have training after work again.

Kristin 10185 - take a look here . In this training plan just before the schedule, it shows a one week pre-training schedule. It says you should run this 4-5 weeks (or build up to this and then run it 4-5 weeks) before you start the actual program. I saw your other thread on this but have not had time to read it, so I don't know if this advice was given - training plans assume you have an adequate base under your belt before you even start them. As a runner, you should think long term. If you truly want to race an event, you need to be prepared. If you want to run a race for fun - say you do a 5 miler and you were going to do that much or more as your long run for the day - than have at it! Hope this helps out!

I have been running for a little over 2 years and have only raced 5k's - and my training is specific to that race distance. I have a goal pace time that I want to achieve. After that is done, I want to train to reach that same goal pace in the 10k. I have also been set back a couple times and have had to rebuild from zero.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have a recovery run and weights tonight.

Gustav, morning!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Morning, colony.

Rest day for me. Gonna try some x-training tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins.

Thank you Gustav. I will have a look!!

SRD for me. So tired!

Have a good Monday

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Thanks for the training link, Gustav.  My flexible training schedule allows me to go to the gym today and use the weight machines (not much weight for me).

Have a great week, Penguins.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Today's a cross training day for me, but I have a 5K this weekend.  SO, I might just get some of my miles in today, and then I can get some extra rest toward the end of the week.

Pewpewpew posted one of our post-race photos in a "cutest couple" contest for a free couples massage.  So far, we're tied for first place in likes.  It runs until Feb. 14th.  We might need your help :-)

Gustav - Congrats on working your way back.  Do you think with your new cycling experience that you might try a triathlon?

Docket - Good morning.  I'm with you on the weights.

Bin - Enjoy the rest.

Kristin - I think we're all tired after that game last night :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi Jerry!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

awood happy to help.

Gustav I looked at the plan. It is more solid than mine for sure. My issue with it is I don't think I can handle 5 days of running right now. 4, yes, I am ready to add a 4th day. If I ever add a 5th in the foreseeable future, I think I will wait til training for the half over the summer. But I may tryto make up a hybrid plan between yours and my original one to give me more mpw.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Zelanie just saw your comment on yestedays thread. I like to think big picture, but I do understand things need to be adapted and flexible. That's a really good point. We can't predict how well our training will go, and sometimes we need to make adjustments and that is ok!!

Jen16226

Good morning all.

Sooooo glad that things have calmed down at work and it's back to business as usual.  The past month has been just killing me and last week was the cherry on top.

The other good news from that, is at least my training was not derailed.  I did have to shift some days around, but nothing that affected my MPW.

Yesterday I ran 6 miles which was my furthest yet.  I am really happy. And I was actually a little surprised that in the end the whole thing averaged in under the 13:00 MM.  I honestly felt good after mile 4.  This has me more excited than nervous for my 10K next month.

Kristin- I am one that plans waaaay ahead for everything and although my HM is in August, I am already trying to find a training plan for it.  The problem that I am having in locating one is I feel in training, I should run a couple of more miles on my long runs than the race length itself to be prepared for it.  I am using Hal Higdon Intermediate for 10K, but his HM longest run is 12 miles.  Actually, his Novice 1 program might be something for you to look at http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Gustav- Glad you are doing well with your training and slowly getting back into it.

Damaris- Hope you have a good day!

Bin- Enjoy your rest day

Jerry- Enjoy the weights today.

Awood- Post the voting link...I will definitely go vote.  Good luck with your 5K this weekend.  I have one too and am hoping any additional snow this week will be gone by then so I can just go out and enjoy it instead of worrying if I am going to slip.

On tap for me today is 4.5 Mi after work.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Kristin- I am one that plans waaaay ahead for everything and although my HM is in August, I am already trying to find a training plan for it.  The problem that I am having in locating one is I feel in training, I should run a couple of more miles on my long runs than the race length itself to be prepared for it.  I am using Hal Higdon Intermediate for 10K, but his HM longest run is 12 miles.  Actually, his Novice 1 program might be something for you to look at http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

As LTH is fond of saying, the long run is highly overrated. Focus on cumulative mileage. That's one of the reasons adding a 4th or even 5th day is so important. You can run more weekly mileage with less stress than running 3 days a week with half of it in one run.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bin Running

Awood, link please.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Good morning!  My schedule calls for 5x3:00 at V02Max w/ hills today, but I also promised the fam that I'd be cooking a tofu stir fry for dinner.  I definitely prefer to run before dinner so hopefully will get home in time for that.  Otherwise it will be a late run.  It will be my second time trying intervals at that pace.  This time I'm adding 30 seconds to the intervals and a 4% incline (last time was 0%).  Hoping that it goes well!

Gustav- Hope the work and training day goes quickly!

D- Enjoy the recovery day!

Bin- How is the ankle feeling?

Kristin- I am usually a big picture person too.  But I don't think as beginners that we can set realistic long-term goals for ourselves.  You can't force progress when the body isn't ready, and on the other hand sometimes we take a leap forward that we weren't expecting!  As far as adding days, that's definitely something I did *as* it felt comfortable.  I went from 3 days a week to every other day to 4 days a week.  And I didn't think of adding anything else until running two days in a row felt completely normal.  I held there for a while, actually.  Adding a 5th day means you need to do 3 days in a row.  At first my legs felt so dead on that 3rd day!  Now I can do a quality workout on that 3rd day, which means I think I could go to 6 if I wanted to.

Jerry- Enjoy the gym!  I use pathetically small amounts of weight, too.  But if I'm sore the next day, I figure it was enough!

Awood- Sounds like a good plan!  I did tell you that I want to bring my Garmin with me this time when I race, right?  My guess is I ran too much of my last race in mile 1, probably in the first 1/2 mile.

Jen16226- Glad you've been able to keep up with your training!

wcrunner- Thank you for popping in and sharing your wisdom!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Hey all - 6 miles on the dreadmill today.  Felling great about the interview later at 2:30.  I watched a documentary on Terry Fox, Canadian runner, while running.  Read up on him if you have never heard of him.  He is on my list of heros.

Wish me luck, send me your prayers, thoughts, and whatever positive energy you can throw my way.  I'm going to own this interview...