Beginners and Beyond

When you have to DNS a race (Read 139 times)

Nevrgivup

So I'm here to vent some. I know there is another post about injuries, but this is about not starting races that you've registered for. I am about 80 percent sure that I am not going to be running Boston now that I am injured. Its sucks because its going to be an amazing year to run it. It kills me that I've registered and will be losing money on it. I believe that I have missed way too much training to catch up and my body needs time off to heal. It stings a bit because I really wanted this to be my first marathon. I've volunteered to have a backup plan.

My question for you guys is how did you get over the feelings associated with a DNS as big as this?  So many friends, co-workers, and family members are rooting for me and I feel like I am disappointing them by "giving up." Thoughts or any advice you can give.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I don't know if you need to give up yet. You have 4.5 months still and you're a very seasoned runner....you're coming from a level where you can already comfortably run at least half the marathon distance. If your goal was only to finish anyway without any major time goal expectations I don't see why you can't still salvage training. Take the time to let tour injury heal first and then see where you're at instead of mourning Boston this early. That's just IMHO.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MothAudio

I'm fortunate that I don't believe I've ever been so injured I had to cancel a goal race. And the one race [ironically] I should have DNS was Boston in 1996 - the 100th - when I [unknowingly] tore my post-tib tendon in January and after the confirming MRI decided to run anyway. Not the smartest decision but neither was doing 20 mile long runs on it. The medical team concluded the damage was done and recommended I not run but left the final decision to me. So I knew what I was getting into. Tapped it up really good and it only began to sting the last 3 miles. Finished in 3:36, which is still my course PB. My advice is to do what you feel is best for you, rather than your support group.  Good luck!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

No more marathons

Please don't use me as an example - My only (at least as far as I can remember - and I'm old so take that into consideration) DNS was for my fourth marathon.  I was training to go sub 2:50 and felt I had it in the bag.  I had run a tune up marathon 8 weeks earlier and turned in a 3:05 with little effort.  Two days before the event (it was the Citrus Bowl in Orlando - may be the precursor to Disney) I came down with a cold and DNS.  I put in a little effort for the next few months, but then essentially quit running for 23 years.

I am now, like you, anticipating my first Boston.  Come hell or high water I will be at the starting line, and will do whatever is necessary to get to the finish line.  (OK - that sounds just a tad melodramatic - but you get my drift )  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

happylily

Hilary, that's why I'm not a fan of announcing what I plan on doing in the coming year. I run races for myself, not for others to cheer for me. So if I want to DNS a race, for any reason, there is no disappointment, or eye rolling, among those I could have potentially have announced it to.

My first DNS was due to an unscheduled heart surgery 2 months before a HM I had registered for almost a year in advance. I could have done the race, but due to the surgery recovery, I was not in racing shape. To me, it was better to skip the race than to do it like an invalid (that was my thought at the time). It's all very personal and no one should judge our decisions. With that first DNS, I felt like a running failure for a few weeks after, which was completely silly now that I think of it. Since then, I've DNSd so many races I can't even remember the exact number. Some DNS were because it was lightly raining the morning of the race and snuggling up to my SO in bed seemed like more fun. Sometimes it was because I had changed my mind about a race and had decided to register for another one the same month. Once, last fall, I registered for a race, paid for a hotel, only to remember one hour later that 8 months before that, I had registered for another race the same day that the other race was to be run and had even bought plane tickets to get there. My SO did not find that one funny. :-) And I was upset at my negligence and waste of money. Anyway, all this to say that a DNS doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I've raced enough times, in different difficult conditions and I've got nothing to prove to anyone. Neither do you. You lost money and that's irritating, yes. And the race in Boston will be special, so you're sad to miss it, it's normal. That's all, it's nothing more. I'm sorry you have to skip it. If your friends, family and co-workers are really rooting for you, they will root for your injuries to heal. That's really the most important thing in your case.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

I guess the only thing I can do right now is take it day by day and work on healing this darn piriformis thing through cross training, physical therapy, and go from there. Hopefully I can get to a point where I can run pain free. This opportunity doesn't come around everyday even if I'm out for the whole season after trying.

MothAudio

Please don't use me as an example - My only (at least as far as I can remember - and I'm old so take that into consideration) DNS was for my fourth marathon.  I was training to go sub 2:50 and felt I had it in the bag.  I had run a tune up marathon 8 weeks earlier and turned in a 3:05 with little effort.  Two days before the event (it was the Citrus Bowl in Orlando - may be the precursor to Disney) I came down with a cold and DNS.  I put in a little effort for the next few months, but then essentially quit running for 23 years.

I am now, like you, anticipating my first Boston.  Come hell or high water I will be at the starting line, and will do whatever is necessary to get to the finish line.  (OK - that sounds just a tad melodramatic - but you get my drift )  

Your story is similar to mine. After setting my PB the year before [3:05] I crash-n-burned to a 3:19 one year later and after several months of going through the motions the next year lost the desire to train with conviction. I quit running for 4 years but it took me another two years to find the passion to train, ironically this time for my 1st BQ attempt. I feel you.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

PADRunner

I'd second kristin. It's a long way off still and you could walk/run it just to be a part of it.

Hilary, that's why I'm not a fan of announcing what I plan on doing in the coming year. I run races for myself, not for others to cheer for me. So if I want to DNS a race, for any reason, there is no disappointment, or eye rolling, among those I could have potentially have announced it to.

A big +1 to this.

Same reason I don't like to register any farther in advance than necessary (although no choice for big races) - an awful lot of unplanned things can happen.

Dave

Hip Redux

My first DNS was due to an unscheduled heart surgery 2 months before a HM I had registered for almost a year in advance. I could have done the race, but due to the surgery recovery, I was not in racing shape. To me, it was better to skip the race than to do it like an invalid (that was my thought at the time). It's all very personal and no one should judge our decisions. With that first DNS, I felt like a running failure for a few weeks after, which was completely silly now that I think of it. Since then, I've DNSd so many races I can't even remember the exact number. Some DNS were because it was lightly raining the morning of the race and snuggling up to my SO in bed seemed like more fun. Sometimes it was because I had changed my mind about a race and had decided to register for another one the same month. Once, last fall, I registered for a race, paid for a hotel, only to remember one hour later that 8 months before that, I had registered for another race the same day that the other race was to be run and had even bought plane tickets to get there. My SO did not find that one funny. :-) And I was upset at my negligence and waste of money. Anyway, all this to say that a DNS doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I've raced enough times, in different difficult conditions and I've got nothing to prove to anyone. Neither do you. You lost money and that's irritating, yes. And the race in Boston will be special, so you're sad to miss it, it's normal. That's all, it's nothing more. I'm sorry you have to skip it. If your friends, family and co-workers are really rooting for you, they will root for your injuries to heal. That's really the most important thing in your case.

You don't tell anyone you are going to race but then also DNS for things like "light rain".  Hmmm, maybe you should start telling people so your lazy butt makes it to the starting line?  Big grin

(and yes, I am KIDDING )

Nevrgivup

This all makes total sense to me. I really need to stop caring what other people will think or say. I just hate disappointing people and I feel like I am doing just that with bailing out even though I am in no shape to run right now due to this injury. I know its still early, but it really is only about fifteen weeks away and by running injured now is not the smartest thing to do.

happylily

You don't tell anyone you are going to race but then also DNS for things like "light rain".  Hmmm, maybe you should start telling people so your lazy butt makes it to the starting line?  Big grin

(and yes, I am KIDDING )

That's right, I have a lazy butt. I don't really train for real and all the RRs are stories I made up. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

That's right, I have a lazy butt. I don't really train for real and all the RRs are stories I made up. 

Imagine all the RRs if you didn't DNS so much!  You could give Scotty a run for his money.  

onemile

I've DNSed quite a few races. Mostly due to injury (but also a few that I impulsively signed up for and then changed my mind).  I guess I've never had anyone rooting for me and the only person who cared if I did the race or not was me so I never felt like I was letting anyone down by not doing it.  Getting over my injury and being able to run again was the thing that helped make me feel better.

Oh and one of the marathons that I DNS'ed, I ended up volunteering at instead. I wouldn't do that again. It just made me more sad that I wasn't running it.

My first marathon was to have been this past November 16th The Richmond Marathon.  I had registered last April.  Early August I became injured and knew that I would need to reduce my mileage which would impact attempting to run the distance.  By September, I knew in my head that I would not able to run the distance how I envisioned my first marathon.

My heart was a different story.  That date and race would have been memorable.  The date would have been my mother's 96th birthday.  Richmond was the birthplace to all my children and where I met my DW.  I knew some runner and non-runner friends from Richmond who planned to cheer me from different vantage points.  My sister and her DH were planning to drive from DC to cheer me.

Mid-September, I requested to defer my entry till 2014.

The Richmond Marathon is not Boston but emotionally it was big for me.  Looking back, my following my head not my heart was the correct decision.  My body has healed and now I've incorporated strength training 2x/week in my weekly workouts.  2014 will translate into a more fit person who aspires to run faster.

BTW, my running friends and non-running friends understood my non-attempting the race.  Because the race was important to me, they realized I made a difficult decision and they supported it.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot