Beginners and Beyond

Chafing and male thigh exposure Penguins..... (Read 43 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So this is how bad it's gotten.........I'M starting the Penguins from the left coast at 6:37am.......What the eyyaaaafff!!! 

Had a good run last night.  I had to rest the right calf a few days after my impromptu New Orleans 5K.  Whatever I did or didn't do left it a little tight and it almost felt like I might have pulled something but it appears to be fine & run went well.

I swear, anymore, I don't get to "good runnning" until I've been running for dang near 20-25 minutes.  Last night was the same.  I hit about 25 minutes and all of a sudden I started feeling much faster, looser, my breathing was at its best, etc.  I've heard of warmup but geeeez man, I don't want to camp out on the hamster wheel for nearly half an hour just to START feeling a good run. 

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Redrum, tell that calf that whatever happened in New Orleans STAYS in New Orleans.

2 miles is usually about when I start feeling good on a run.  Before that, I feel stiff, heavy, and cranky.  That's one of the reasons that I often will run a little warmup before I go out on the social run.  They tend to start off faster and slow down, and I can't do that without feeling like crap.

D- Enjoy the RD!

Philliefan33

My excuse for the late start is that I've been working diligently to get everything done so I can take the rest of the day off.  I'm working from the mountains, finishing a report for a coworker.  As soon as I finish, I'm closing down and going for a run.  I just heard the chain saw start up, so that means DH is entertaining himself in the woods.  That man cannot sit still if there's wood to cut, sticks to burn, or dirt to move!

I shooting for 6-7 miles today on the river path.

obiebyke

Good morning! RD for me. I'm going up to my family cabin with my mom after work. Excited to get a long workout in with woods on either side of me tomorrow. I might not be able to check in, so have a good weekend!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Three easy miles later then packing and spaghetti for dinner. Even though the race is only two hours away DW and I have a hotel for two nights and the kids are staying. Actually, the swimming DD has a meet tomorrow so we are leaving from there.

Have a good Friday and a better weekend.

GinnyinPA

Hope everybody has a good long weekend, the unofficial start to summer.

Redrum - thanks for starting us off.  I'm glad the leg is feeling better. I was thinking about my usual long slow warmup yesterday.  At about mile two, the run felt good, but before that, I was not having fun.  After reading the column yesterday about how starting out slow could mean angina, I was wondering - just normal slow warmup after sitting in the car, or something worse?  Just what I need, another reason to feel paranoid.

Damaris - enjoy your rest day.  Did your body recover all right from your first marathon for a while?

Hi Zelanie.  Did you have a good run last night?

Margo - enjoy your weekend in the woods.  Nice that you have some good shady places to run there.

Obiebyke - another cabin in the woods.  Nice.  Where is it?  Enjoy the holiday weekend.

AFM:  either hike with DH and Ben or another short run.  Trying to make up for not running at the beginning of the week by running more at the end probably isn't a good idea.  I need to just accept that this is a short week.  Unfortunately, once we hit the road, they may all be short weeks (if I get to run at all) and I'm not happy about losing the progress I've made.  I'm trying to hold on to my running fitness as long as possible.

Bin Running

Enjoy the long weekend, guys.

Margo, enjoy the mountain home. Is that where you gonna retire?

6M in the morning.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning and thanks for the start redrum.  'Morning Dock, Zel, Phil, OB,  Jack and Gin.

Wasn't planning for 6 until Sunday or Monday, but it was sooooo nice this morning, we got it done early.  LR since the shot.

4 day week end starts today.  Haven't had one of those since last weekend.

obiebyke

It's 14 miles from the Canadian border in northern Minnesota, 2 lakes from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

Obiebyke - another cabin in the woods.  Nice.  Where is it?  Enjoy the holiday weekend.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, thanks for asking.  I am ready to run (have been for days) but I won't.  recovery has been nice.  enjoy your weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Still sore from weight Wednesday but I got out and did my intervals this morning. 8x400

Oh it hurts so good....

Zelanie

Yes, the run went well. 3rd day in a row of 8 miles, so feeling pretty good.

From yesterday, I think track club is going well. There are a handful of serious students, and many more who just want to play with the ants and flowers. But they are all getting outside and moving a bit before school starts.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning...or afternoon for people on the East Coast.  Busy work morning, finally got all the fires put out.  Getting off work early today, which is nice, makes for a bit of a longer holiday weekend.  Will pick up my packets today for tomorrow/s morning race ( start 8 a.m.) and evening race (8 pm).   There is also a memorial day race on Monday up at Camp Mabry (Austin), but that means I'd have to get up really early Monday morning to get to it...it's a holiday...I may just sleep in on Monday a bit and go run somewhere on my own.  See how I feel Monday morning.  Today is a rest day.

Glad your calf is okay, redrum.  Yeah, I'm pretty much like you for the first part of my run. I do an 8 min run/2 min walk routine and when I start my first interval is like I can't really get going well; usually when I start my 2nd run interval that's when I begin feeling much better. Weird how that works.

TOTAL SRD, Damaris?  Oh my, the world will be ending next.

I just heard the chain saw start up, so that means DH is entertaining himself .   lol, Margo. When I read that, it brought to my mind that Progressive Insurance commercial where that guy wants to juggle the chainsaws.  I hope your DH is not that ambitious!  Nice, working from the mountains...but also sad that you have to work while in the mountains, instead of having all your time there to relax and enjoy.l   Hope your run went well!  River path...nice!

Enjoy the cabin and the woods, obiebyke, that sounds very relaxing!

Happy miles and happy weekend, Jack.  Good luck to your DD and your DW!

Congrats on the 6, Bin.  Nice to see you here back with us.

Posted by Jerry:  4 day week end starts today.  Haven't had one of those since last weekend. 

Umm...Jerry....

Nice you got your LR done early.  Enjoy your weekend!

Hit the road?  Where are you off to, Ginny?  Are you going to the woods too?  Lots of people with cabin fever this weekend.  Hope you can keep up your progress.  You can always stow your running gear in the car and then have DH stop somewhere along the way on your road trip to allow you to get in a daily run. Just think of all the new places you'd be in while running, and you might even have an 'adventure' or two.  Then, of course, post-run, you'd have to make DH take you to some nearby local laundromat so you could change and wash your running gear...

Thanks, PAD, now John Mellenkamp is stuck in my head.   Congrats on getting your intervals done.

'play with the ants and flowers', Zelanie?  Well, maybe they are just ANT-i social... .  Dang, 8 miles a day in 3 consecutive days, I wouldn't be able to move at all, lol. Congrats on your miles and have a happy holiday weekend!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 earlier today for me.  Enjoy the remainder of your day everyone.  I took today off to make it a 4 day weekend.  Serviced our truck this morning.  Now cooking a pot of chili then a NAP. 

Running for TJ because he can't.