Beginners and Beyond

For the bling lovers (Read 405 times)

Jess runs for bacon

I may have posted about this race already, but I just saw they posted the medal. Helllooo gorgeous!

http://www.fortheloveofthekids.com

New Year's resolution run, Half Marathon or 5k (or both). They send you a bib and a shirt, you run in the three days they give you anywhere you want, you post your results online and they give you a medal. All for like $40.

I'm planning to run this one on New Year's Day on my TM, using the RW Half course. It'll be interesting to see if I can PR on a treadmill.

YAYpril - B-Plus

That is REALLY pretty. I'm kind of tempted now.

Misty

That's gorgeous!

Misty

Bless your heart.

Jess runs for bacon

Right? I'm such a sucker for sparkles. I'm going to be a dork too and pin my bib on before I run Tongue

Okay, Lilac...this is all your fault. I showed the medal to my daughter who loves bling. She wanted to do the 5k, so I figured what the heck...except the "double-down" option was only $6 more....ugh! I've been trying to take it easy, and now I'm registered for the half and the 5k. Fortunately  they give you a couple of days to get it done.

(Really though, thanks for the link. I'm glad to get my daughter out there...she hasn't run since the last day of cross country).

Love the Half

Well hell then, let's just do away with races.  Design your own medal, have it made, and have it shipped.  Cheaper than a race and no pressure to try to deal with all the stresses race day brings.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

xor

Well hell then, let's just do away with races.  Design your own medal, have it made, and have it shipped.  Cheaper than a race and no pressure to try to deal with all the stresses race day brings.

Stay classy, San Diego.

Supersono99

Thanks for the info! I must do this! Another great medal that can be earned from anywhere right now is the Florida holiday half virtual option. It's only $30 and $20 of that goes to charity here for a fallen police officer. Look it up, can't link from my phone, but the deadline to register is Thursday and deadline to run is Sunday.

Jess runs for bacon

I'm just going to let LTHs comment slide. I think it's a really neat idea and for a good cause. This time of year we don't have a lot of races around here, and no halfs that I can think of. I wanted to do a half that week as part of my marathon training so this was perfect.

Supersono, thanks for sharing that one as well! I'll have to think about that one, I was only supposed to do 7 this weekend. It looks like you can split it up so that as long as you do the 13.1 over four days it counts, but I think I'd feel guilty if I did that. It's a great cause though...hrmm.

Love the Half

Look, no one disputes that it's for a good cause.  But, part of what makes racing, well, racing is that you have to pit yourself against others in exactly the same conditions.  A half marathon on a hilly course in hot, humid weather is not exactly the same as a half marathon on a flat course when it's 40 degrees, sunny, and there's nary a whisper of wind.  There is also the aspect of fellow competitors and I all eyeballing the finish line and seeing who has the guts to get there first.  Not to mention that courses are not always measured precisely and that's all the more true when folks are using a Garmin or mapmyrun or whatever to mark out 13.1 miles.  By the way, a half marathon is NOT 13.1 miles.  It is 13.1094 miles.  That 0.094 mile doesn't seem like much but it's about 50 feet.

Donate the money to the cause and go run 13 miles.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jess runs for bacon

We'll agree to disagree then. I'm not even remotely on the level to compete with others at a half, it's basically a competition with myself. And I will be competing with myself, I'll be running a course that I've previously run, and since I'm posting the results online I'll be pushing myself. Granted it'll be indoors, so conditions will not be quite the same, but I tend to run slower on the mill so if I get close to my last time I know I'm improving. I'm not sure where the distance factors in, since I know I'm terrible at running tangents on a long race.

It's OK if it's not for you LTH. Just consider that not everyone gets the same things out of running. Maybe it's materialistic of me to be happy to get something cool when I've done something like run a half or full. It's also not the only reason I do it, and I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing something cool like this and getting others interested.

xor

If a thread was started that said "what do yall think of virtual races", that would be an interesting and perhaps spirited discussion.

When a thread is started that is clearly about something someone is excited about, and it seems pretty cool, and it doesn't hurt others, then someone coming in to crap on it is an example of leaving poop in the punchbowl.

Stay classy.

lilac, enjoy your day!

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

The link for the race Amy is talking about is

http://www.active.com/running/madeira-beach-fl/11th-annual-florida-holiday-halfathon-2012

Of course, if you are in the Pinellas/Hillsborough area, I encourage you to come join us for the race.  The course is fantastic and the organization tremendous.  And as a bonus, I will be cutting off chips and my daughter taking pictures.  And Christian will be running so you can meet us all!  (even better than a medal, right?)

But the virtual option is a great choice for someone who would like to contribute to Partners for Life and recieve a finisher's medal.

Let's be honest about finisher's medals.  They don't actually mean that much regardless.  They are a keepsake.  A memento.  I like my medals - but I do not pretend they mean anything more than that I completed a distance and paid an entry fee.  So I really don't understand the argument against virtual races.

Jess runs for bacon

Crazyrunninglady, I registered for the virtual and downloaded the course map as best I could onto my TM. So I will be there in spirit Smile

Thanks SRL, I will Smile

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Crazyrunninglady, I registered for the virtual and downloaded the course map as best I could onto my TM. So I will be there in spirit Smile

Thanks SRL, I will Smile

Smile  Yay!