Beginners and Beyond

Happiness = Finding Mid-Weight Shoes You Like (Read 87 times)

Love the Half

I have forever looked for a pair of mid-weight shoes I liked.  I went through two pairs of Asics Banditos.  I liked them OK but was never thrilled with them.  In an effort to find something I really liked, I tried Mizuno Wave Ronin's.  Hated them from the start but I'm too cheap to not use them so I ran in them for the last two years.  This year, I asked for Adidas Adizero Adios 2.0 for Christmas and I am really happy.

As with the Banditos and the Ronin's, they are about 7.5 ounces.  What I love about these is that they feel fairly cushioned.  I am not a fan of shoes that jar my teeth when I run and that's what I got from the Ronin's.  The Banditos felt like they were always forcing my feet inward a tad.  These feel completely neutral and lightweight but cushioned as well.  Happiness.  Looking forward to doing some tempo runs and some races in these shoes.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Finding them and keeping them is great.  Unfortunately, my soul mate shoes were discontinued (Mizuno Elixirs).  Looking for a new husband (I mean, shoe soulmate) at this time.

Enjoy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

For sure. Finding the perfect shoes is difficult (and expensive).

I tried a ton of shoes and finally gave up and resigned myself to running in the Brooks Adrenaline (the only shoe I seem to be able to run a lot in without issues). But I've never really been crazy about them and they are pretty heavy and clunky.  After deciding to work on my short race speed this year, I figured I should have something faster for racing and speedwork so I picked up a pair of Saucony Fastwitch.  I really love them and they are everything I want in a shoe (good road feel, light, fit my feet well) except they are just not cushioned enough for anything longer than 8-9 miles.  If I could have a pair exactly like them with a little more cushioning I would be pretty happy. Except I don't think such a thing exists.  

LRB

I have been making out with the Asics Super J33 for the past three weeks and I think I am in love.  In fact, just today the thought crossed my mind that I may not need to order another pair of DST's.

But alas, it is still much too soon to kick them to the curb just yet because as we know, some weird shit can flare up out of nowhere and I will be looking everywhere for the problem except what is on my feet!

LRB

But I've never really been crazy about them and they are pretty heavy and clunky.

I put 70 miles on mine before giving up on them for those same reasons.  Everyone is different but the Asics Kayano (Although pricey) was far away the best for me.  The 19's are on closeout for $109 at the House now though.

onemile

I put 70 miles on mine before giving up on them for those same reasons.  Everyone is different but the Asics Kayano (Although pricey) was far away the best for me.  The 19's are on closeout for $109 at the House now though.

Tried the Kayano's. HATED them.

LRB

Tried the Kayano's. HATED them.

Well I did say everyone is different.  lol

Nevrgivup

For sure. Finding the perfect shoes is difficult (and expensive).

I tried a ton of shoes and finally gave up and resigned myself to running in the Brooks Adrenaline (the only shoe I seem to be able to run a lot in without issues). But I've never really been crazy about them and they are pretty heavy and clunky.  After deciding to work on my short race speed this year, I figured I should have something faster for racing and speedwork so I picked up a pair of Saucony Fastwitch.  I really love them and they are everything I want in a shoe (good road feel, light, fit my feet well) except they are just not cushioned enough for anything longer than 8-9 miles.  If I could have a pair exactly like them with a little more cushioning I would be pretty happy. Except I don't think such a thing exists.  

Have you tried Mizuno Inspires? I wore a few pairs of Brooks Adrenalines but also felt like they were clunky and heavy. The Mizunos have worked for me. Unfortunately the nines are endangered now. I stocked up with a couple pairs before having to switch to the tens. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

onemile

Have you tried Mizuno Inspires? I wore a few pairs of Brooks Adrenalines but also felt like they were clunky and heavy. The Mizunos have worked for me. Unfortunately the nines are endangered now. I stocked up with a couple pairs before having to switch to the tens. 

Yes, actually. I liked how they felt but got knee/ankle pain after 5 miles.

I have been making out with the Asics Super J33 for the past three weeks and I think I am in love.  In fact, just today the thought crossed my mind that I may not need to order another pair of DST's.

I *love* the Super J's for racing so far, but have been leery of making them a mileage workhorse -- they feel too much like a flat and not enough like a trainer.

Finding them and keeping them is great.  Unfortunately, my soul mate shoes were discontinued (Mizuno Elixirs).  Looking for a new husband (I mean, shoe soulmate) at this time.

Enjoy!

Yup, still pissed about this, and the fact that they're saying to run in Sayonaras.  Um, no.

Adidas Tempo's have been a workable alternative to the Elixir for me, and they just released some new colors Wink

Docket_Rocket

Yup, still pissed about this, and the fact that they're saying to run in Sayonaras.  Um, no.

Adidas Tempo's have been a workable alternative to the Elixir for me, and they just released some new colors Wink

Sayonaras make my heel hurt.  I agree!  I like them but they are not Elixirs!  Have you tried the WR17s?  I'll try the Tempos, thanks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Don't get me wrong.  I still have and love my Asics Nimbus for my easy and long runs.  Heavier at about 12 ounces but, as I said, I like cushioning.  I also have some 3.5 ounce New Balance MRC 5000's that I use for track work and 5K's.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I *love* the Super J's for racing so far, but have been leery of making them a mileage workhorse -- they feel too much like a flat and not enough like a trainer.

It is amazing how smooth those shoes are, I just have not been willing to run in anything else since putting them on!  I will be adding the DS Racer 10 when it is released next month and continuing to experiment during the off-season.

StepbyStep-SH

Don't get me wrong.  I still have and love my Asics Nimbus for my easy and long runs.  Heavier at about 12 ounces but, as I said, I like cushioning.  I also have some 3.5 ounce New Balance MRC 5000's that I use for track work and 5K's.

Have you tried the NB 890s? I've worn Cumulus for years, but am now getting into the 890s. They are a little less cushioned, so I try to only use them on softer surface, not all concrete, and haven't had them past 15 miles, but they are a nice change of pace in the rotation.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.