Beginners and Beyond

A question on long runs... (Read 138 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi.

This Sunday I am scheduled for an 18 mile run as part of my marathon training plan.  It should take me about 2:30 or so. My problem is that I have to be somewhere in the morning so I won't have time to do it then unless I get up at 3:30 and that is not going to happen. The other problem is the afternnon heat. My question is this: Can I split the day into two 9 mile runs and still get the "credit" for an 18 miler? I will have time to do 9 in the morning and 9 inthe late evening once it cools down.

Thanks in advance.

happylily

If you do it once or twice during an 18 week plan, I'd say there's nothing to worry about. It's not something that I'd recommend doing often, though, because to me, the toughest part of a marathon is fighting the urge to stop for a short walk break. So for building mental fortitude, doing uninterrupted LRs is important to me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks Lily.  I definitely will not be making it a habit. I am at the point where I actually look forward to the long runs.  Smile

Docket_Rocket

If there is no other choice, split it but it is not recommended as a long run.  But when we have no time and it does not happen often, we do what we need to do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

I'm sort of with lily on this.  To me, 9 plus 9 does not equal 18.  I need that continuous running to build my endurance.  But sometimes life will get in the way so you do what you can.

Klompus, if this is for the Dec 8 marathon in your sig, I don't think splitting this run into two will have too much of an impact on your training 12 weeks out.

<3

Love the Half

As a general rule, splitting runs is fine.  Indeed, there is one argument that you're better off splitting a lot of your runs because your body adapts not just to how long you stress it but to how frequently as well.  Regularly running doubles forces your body to adapt faster and, believe it or not, reduces the risk of injury.

Having said that, the long run is the one run when splitting it most assuredly does not provide you with the same benefits.  In order to get the benefits of a long run such as increased capillarization of your muscle tissue, you need to run for a minimum of 90 minutes if you're a newer runner and 120 minutes if you have been running for a while.  Of course, that's the "perfect world" scenario and we don't live in a perfect world.  Sometimes, you just do what you can and go on.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Klompus, if this is for the Dec 8 marathon in your sig, I don't think splitting this run into two will have too much of an impact on your training 12 weeks out.

I agree with this. How much time do you have in the morning? Instead of 9 and 9 could you do one 12? 15? Or move it to Saturday. I've never had a marathon training cycle where my schedule hasn't had to be altered once in a while due to real life getting in the way.

RSX

I agree with this. How much time do you have in the morning? Instead of 9 and 9 could you do one 12? 15? Or move it to Saturday. I've never had a marathon training cycle where my schedule hasn't had to be altered once in a while due to real life getting in the way.

If Sunday looks busy or maybe even bad weatherwise, I do it on Saturday or vice versa when I have flexibility. Last week I had 17 scheduled, and the weekend was tight so I took Thursday off and ran it then. I have also shortened my taper by a week if I bonked on a long run at the end, or was sick.

I ran 18.6 yesterday, and doing it all at once was such a confidence boost which I wouldn't have got splitting it up.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Fuzzy: Great idea.  My problem is that I get OCD when it comes to training plans. Life does get in the way and I have to be flexible.  My plan for the week looks like this:

Mon: rest

Tues: 10 mile tempo w 5 @ 7:20

Wed: 4 miles recovery

Th: 8 miles 8:30 pace

Fri: rest

Sat: 7 with 8x100m strides

Sun: 18 @8:50ish pace

I suppose I could switch Saturday and Sunday and make Sunday a recovery run?

happylily

Fuzzy: Great idea.  My problem is that I get OCD when it comes to training plans. Life does get in the way and I have to be flexible.  My plan for the week looks like this:

Definitely! I've often done that myself.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Switching the long run to Saturday is fine. If you do, make sure Thursday is an easy run since you'll have less recovery before your long run. Sunday be ready to modify mid-run if your legs are too tired. From the schedule it looks like you normally have a rest day after your long run and you wouldn't if you simply swapped Saturday and Sunday. You want to keep Monday as a rest day leading into Tuesday's quality workout.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Switching the long run to Saturday is fine. If you do, make sure Thursday is an easy run since you'll have less recovery before your long run. Sunday be ready to modify mid-run if your legs are too tired. From the schedule it looks like you normally have a rest day after your long run and you wouldn't if you simply swapped Saturday and Sunday. You want to keep Monday as a rest day leading into Tuesday's quality workout.

YES!! Thanks, wc. I will keep the mileage the same on Thursday but I will take it easy and not push it. FYI, I am on the Pfitz 18/55 plan.

I definitely would just switch Saturday and Sunday based on that plan. Go a little easier with the 7 miler on Sunday and maybe omit the strides.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Jack, you and I are in a very similar place in our training and have a similar problem.

I am in week 9 of the Pfitz 18/55 training for the Philly full on 11/17.  This whole plan I have reversed the Sat/Sun runs as I reserve Sunday for church and family time in the morning.  Thus Sat is better for the long run, plus I don't have to get up so early to complete it.  I treat Sun as a recovery run, sometimes forgoing the strides and just running easy.  I have had no noticeable impact on fitness or the ability to hit my Tue/Thur quality workouts.  I love the Mon/Fri rest days as then I do not have to get up as early.

Don't sweat it, looking forward to your 3:30 full marathon race report in December.

LRB

Just speaking on the effects of a single long run versus a split run; I ran a 21 mile double (12 in the am 9 in the pm) a month ago, and a 20 miler three weeks later and there is no comparing the two (or three as it were).

I will say though that my legs definitely felt the effects from both "20 milers", but overall, more was taking out of me from the single run.

Good luck on your training!