Beginners and Beyond

Ebullient Monday Penguins (Read 18 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I know it's Monday but we can try to be ebullient .

PADRunner

I usually run across a few squirrels or cotton tails and an occasional armadillo. Well this morning was different. At about 3/4 mile i run across a raccoon.

Then at 2 and 3 miles I run across these guys:

I gave them plenty of room and luckily i was able to avoid being hit!

4 miles done.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, lala, Pepe Le Pieux!

morning.  Sick so URD.  I am trying to cancel my Pilates workout tonight but if not, I'll go and do what I can.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Pad, nice pic - did you actually get close enough to take that pic?

Damaris, hope you feel better!

Headed out shortly for an easy 5.

PADRunner

Pad, nice pic - did you actually get close enough to take that pic?

Damaris, hope you feel better!

Headed out shortly for an easy 5.

No that's a stock pic. It was still dark out when I ran across them.

obiebyke

It's going to be hot today: 90s with a heat index of 105-110. Planning to do an easy 3 after work.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm back from the wilds of eastern WA, woo-hoo!!  We had a really good trip, time with the folks, got to see some friends, etc.  It was HOT HOT, with temps above 100 every day we were there.  I got out with DH for a few walks, so that's all good, and I had very little knee pain, which made me all kinds of happy.

Someone said take lots of pics, so here we go!

Eastern WA, which is desert.  Complete with sagebrush and tumbleweeds.

Unfortunately that means it's also prone to wildfires.  This happened maybe Tuesday?

It covered quite a bit of ground, and jumped the line a couple of times.

You can grow anything in eastern WA, as long as you irrigate.  The soil is incredibly rich.  My husband's stepmother's folks have a wheat field on the top of the next hill, which fortunately wasn't threatened by the fire.  Eastern WA is also wine country -- lots of grapes grown and wineries all over the place.  Also wheat, potatoes, apples, onions, cherries ... it's a major agricultural region.

On Saturday we had DH's birthday!  There wasn't as much flame as my camera made it look.

And on Wednesday we went up to Chinook pass and wandered around.  Here's the obligatory Mt. Rainier pic, on a lovely clear day.

And the Naches river.

Yes, there's still snow in the passes!

Back in eastern WA, we walked along the Columbia river one morning.  I had a concrete slab down by the river that I used to sit on for hours and just watch the river, and people boating and waterskiing, etc.  This is the view from my slab.  That's a cable bridge way in the distance.

DH's folks live along the Yakima river.  Unfortunately he went out to take pics the day we left and slipped on their dock and tweaked his back.  So he's off to see the doc this morning.  But other than that, it was a lovely trip!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

No that's a stock pic. It was still dark out when I ran across them.

That's what I thought, especially because you said you stayed out of his way. Smile

Obie, have a great run!

Hopesmom, great pics!  The one of the cake does make it look like your hubby is about to be consumed with flames. Smile

I decided to run some moderate hills this morning.  It was a fun 5.1 miles.

SheCan

PAD-- how cute!!!!!  Raccoons and skunks are so adorable at a distance.  I love seeing animals along my runs.

DR--   Sorry you're feeling poorly.  Rest up and get well.

Brilliant-- hey ya!  Glad ya had a great run!

Obie-- Wishing you a decent breeze for your run this evening.

HsM-- oh thank you for the pictures!  It looks sort of like around here in Arizona in places.  Chinook Pass and of course Mt.  Rainier are simply beautiful!  Can't believe there's still some snow around there, while it's almost 100* every day in eastern Washington right now, crazy!  It must have been hard to leave such a beautiful location.   Hope DH is going to be alright though.    Are you back to work already, or taking some more days of recuperation off? (Love the Pikachu shirt!)

From this weekend--

Bin and Jack-- hope you are both feeling better today.

I was surprised with a cool, overcast day this morning, so was able to get in 7.6 miles.  In a bit, my friend in gonna come over and we're going to do some sewing!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  The Dog Days of summer have finally arrived....high 90s all this week and we will probably get to the 100s sometime next month.

Did my 44th race of the year on Saturday.  Report and photos:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/8af1b8c4462643aca5a1edc3fb0f7606/resume#focus

Sunday I went to the Riverwalk and ended up with a run/walk of an hour and 2 minutes.  Longest I've been out for a while. Guess I got a little ambitious because I had to walk a bit more than I wanted to, and it didn't help that I got a late start (8:30 a.m.) and the flippin' temp was already up to near 80 and the dewpoint was in the 70s...and there is a lot of cement on the San Antonio Riverwalk too, reflecting all the sun and heat.  I ended up with 5.1 miles, my longest outing in quite a while; but, as said, did quite a bit more walking than intended and ended up averaging a very slow 12-something minutes per mile.  I did the other side of the Riverwalk this time, wanted to check that out as of the ongoing construction on that side is now done.  It is very pretty on the newly improved side...passed by fountain grottoes, lots of flowers and gardens, fish sculpture and at one point runners and walker go through this area where the sounds of river fowl are playing on a recording.  Gotta remember to take my camera next time to share some photos with y'all.  Very scenic.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Track workout today, 10 mile race (well, "race" - I won't actually be racing it) on Friday so I rearranged my schedule. My club does shorter intervals during Monday workouts, so I did 5 sets of 400 hard/200 easy/200 hard/400 easy. Felt great, 400s were in the low 1:50s/high 1:40s, 200s in the low 50s and I hit 47s once. 6 miles total with warmup/cooldown.

on my way to badass

Hey Penguins!  I've been checking in, but had family drama on my mind so I wasn't posting much.

Damaris-Sorry you are under the weather.

Scotty- Loving all the RRs!

Obie- Ugh! on the weather.

PAD- Yikes!  I'm glad you are seeing the wildlife in the dark.  That means they are healthy.

Brilliant- Hope you enjoyed the 5.

Cherie- What are you sewing?  Nice miles!

HsM- Nice pics and trip!

Lauren- Glad you are feeling good, that was a great workout.

AFM- 35 minute tempo run tonight.  Yesterday the family hiked up Hunter Mountain in the Catskills.  Beautiful day.  The fire tower was open and I even counted it on the Garmin.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Went to the health club after work and tried a new "Lateral Elliptical".  Supposed to be good for the quads. I only tried it for 10 minutes and it seemed like a great workout and didn't hurt the knees.  Too late (and hot) to run after I got home so I get an early beer and nap.  The run/walk yesterday seemed good for my knees so I'll keep doing it, maybe run a mile, walk a tenth.

DW already picked up our packets for Saturday's Big Ten 10K.  (Should be a 14K).    Should be fun running with the kids. This will be our first lakefront race.

HsM, great pix.  Hope DH' back is better.

Feel better DR.

obiebyke

Damaris, I don't know how you do it. I went out in an air temp of 88 with a feels like of 99 and a dewpoint of 7 to do an easy 3. I had to run/walk it starting at about 1.25! My body just wouldn't do it. Ah well. 3 miles on my feet.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

SheCan

Cherie- What are you sewing?  Nice miles!

She's been learning to sew, with a little help from me, and she wanted to make some curtains and to do some alterations on a few of her clothes.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson