Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins slide into the weekend! (Read 27 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I couldn't wait any longer for somebody to start the thread.

I got out this morning, and got in the first half of today's double.  The weather was unusually cool, and my pace reflected it.  For having increased mileage, my legs feel so strong and fresh that its a bit scary.  My new shoes are are great.  This morning I got 4 miles in, at a pace of 8:40.  I shouldn't have any problem hitting 50+ again this week after my 12-13 mile run tomorrow, I'll be able to take a rest day Sunday or run with my wife.

Also, my neighborhood running buddy has a triathlon tomorrow morning.  I'm going to try to get my run out of the way in time to go watch him.  He's been doing tri's for years, and still gets nervous about the swim.  Personally, I would drown.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  5K tomorrow morning - the Doggie Dash 5K.  Sunday morning will be traveling to Washington DC for my mother's memorial service on Monday at Arlington National Ceremony.  Coming back home Monday night.  So busy, whirlwind trip, will probably not be posting Sunday and Monday.

Wow, Awood, guess all the other penguins are sleeping in today!  Those lazy flockin' birds... Wink  Nice run and good luck with hitting the 50+ mile week!   Good luck to your friend in his Tri.  I am banned locally from doing Tris cuz the officials tell me it takes me too long to do the swim portion when I dog-paddle...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SRD. Heading to MD after work for my 10M race tomorrow. I have to be there at 5:30am....geez.

Happy Friday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Yeah, I was lazy this morning.  I had set the alarm to get up early and run before work, but when the alarm went off I could hear the rain outside and it was still dark.  I decided to run after work.

So ~5 miles today after work, then our weekly escape to the mountains.  Our girls are coming (from Delaware and Pittsburgh) to join us -- their gift for Father's Day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning AW, Scotty, Kristin and Margo !!!  Just back from health club, now waiting for "Sleeping Runner" to wake up, so she can go to Curves.  Eventually, we will run.  Only time for a short run today.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BTW, and especially for all my fellow veterans who served and are serving...

HAPPY FLAG DAY TODAY!

For you drinkers, today is also National Bourbon Day.  And for those of you who can donate, today is also World Blood Donor Day.

And for fathers:  Take a long weekend.  The Friday before Father's Day is Fathers Work At Home Day.

I'm getting a half day today.  My boss came to say hello this morning, heard me sneezing and coughing and told me to go home at noon, take a half day off, since I've worked some overtime hours during this past week.   So I'm out of here at noon.  Sweet!   Altho I probably won't do much but go home and nap, my stupid sinuses are acting up.  Even so, still nice to get off work early.

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone! Nice 4 this morning Awood, good luck hitting that 50 miles for the week.

Scotty - Happy flag day! Sounds like you have a very busy weekend.

AFM - didn't run lastnight, ate way to much, but did manage to get in the 30DS workout. Will be doing Day 9 tonight. So looks like Sunday will be the start of level 2.

Plan on getting 4 miles in after work, will be rushed though because I have a chiro appt me 3pm, I might call and see if I can bump it back to 3:30 though, that will give me more time and not feel so rushed.

Also if ya'll didn't see it in my post lastnight I picked up some White Chocolate Wonderful from Wal-Mart yesterday (first time I have seen it there) and it was AMAZING!

Oh, also taking my puppy to the vet today, I think he has some kind of summer allergy. He has been scratching like crazy and is shedding/flaking and has little scabby bald spots all over. He did this awhile back and was pretty much bald on his back but found out he had a allergic reaction to some shampoo I used on him :/

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Run with hubby tonight, maybe the expo and other touristy things.  Weather is gorgeous here!

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Amazonian Princess

G'morning,

Three miles with the after-work group last night; only four people showed up (including me) so there were two walkers and two runners and the other runner let me set the pace so we did the whole distance without walk breaks! She kept the conversation going but after the first mile I was able to participate, and that made the time go by faster. By the end I felt like I could have kept going Big grin

Taking workout clothes to the office today to try and sneak in some treadmill time because I want to practice inclines.

Happy Friday!

I can. I will. I am. 

GinnyinPA

Awood - enjoy your double this afternoon.  Nice to have some cool weather again.

Scotty - sorry your sinuses are acting up again.  Hope rest takes care of it.  Do you have seasonal allergies?

Kristin - hope tomorrow's race goes well for you.

margo - hope the run goes well and the weekend in the high country.

Jerry - have a good short one.

Jimmy - enjoy your 4 this afternoon.  Hope the puppy's allergies are easily treatable.  The first year we had Ben he lost a lot of fur on his legs.  It looked like we had shaved him.  The doctor gave us a very expensive prescription for antihistamines.  When they were used up, we gave him Benadryl when he got itchy, which worked as well and were a lot cheaper.  Somewhere along the way, the problem went away and his fur is now good (too good, poor pup is really hot since he still hasn't lost his winter fur.)  He still scratches, but the skin/fur isn't a problem.

Damaris - good luck tomorrow.  Have fun.

AFM:  I'll get out and run this afternoon, since tomorrow will be a forced rest day.  We're driving down to MD to celebrate a granddaughter's 13th birthday, and possibly Father's Day too.  We may end up spending a couple of days wandering before coming back home, if the weather cooperates and we get our act together in time.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty - sorry your sinuses are acting up again.  Hope rest takes care of it.  Do you have seasonal allergies?

Ginny, I never did till I got to Texas, lol.   Our mold count right now in San Antonio is sky-high so I think that is what is doing it.  The ole weatherman said even people who usually don't have allergy problems may experience some itchy eyes, etc, cuz the darn count is so high right now.  Great.   Enjoy your run later and have a great trip!

Yeah, Jimmy, think I will be going non-stop through Monday.  Thankfully, I took next Tuesday off, so after I get back Monday night, I can rest and relax a bit and recover from my trip.   Umm, why not just run after the chiro appointment?  Or is that a bad thing to do?

Kristin, I predict you will rock your 10M race!

Good luck with your post-work run, Margo.  Hope the weather behaves for you.

Jerry, is "Ms Curves" up yet?  Happy running later!

Enjoy all your activities in SF, Damaris, and enjoy all that great weather while you can!  My ex-wife lives in San Francisco.  If you happen to encounter her.....RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!  Joking

Nice running, Baconista!  Congrats on your progress!   Good luck with the inclines.  I'm more into recliners...Wink

Sloooow.

About to hit the treadmill, I don't think I will be running outside much anytime soon.

Heat Index: <dfn>107 °F

Dew Point: 80 °F

Surprised

Edit: The copy/paste did weird formatting things

Zelanie

Morning, pens!

I had a great 3 miler on the TM last night, knee felt like it could keep going.  This morning it was good but not great, so I stopped at 2.5 just to be safe.  No residual soreness after stretching, though, so that's good!  I have a 5 mile walk with DH later, too. Smile

Awood- Your training is going so well lately!  I'm very happy for you. Smile

Scotty- The Doggie Dash sounds like it was made just for you!  Enjoy the extra time off today.

kristin- Good luck tomorrow!  Hope you have a great time!

Margo- Enjoy your weekend with the girls!

Jerry- Have a great run later!

Jimmy- White chocolate wonderful sounds like something that I do NOT need to know what it tastes like!  Kinda like Trader Joe's cookie butter, hehe.  Hope the puppy is OK.

D- Enjoy the expo, and tomorrow, run like Scottydog's ex is chasing you!

Baconista- Sounds like a great social run!  Good luck with the hillwork.

Ginny- Hope that you have a nice trip!

Coralie- Yikes!  Hope the treadmill is in a nice, cool room!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I need to carboload for a 10 mile right? Please say yes.... lol cuz I just woofed down a delicious bagel

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to