Beginners and Beyond

Reston Half RR (with pictures) (Read 71 times)

Short Version

2:09:04 (13.22 miles)

7/24 AG

55/183 F

172/352 OA

Long Version

On Sunday, March 30th, I ran the Reston Half Marathon. This was my second half – the first being the same race last year. This was also the second year for this race. Smile A week or so after running it last year, I hurt my foot and needed surgery. I started running again in November, so being able to run this race again was a big deal to me. Based on my 10 miler a few weeks ago, my goal was to finish in under 2 hours. However, my knee started hurting about two weeks ago. I tried running a couple of times the following week, but the pain was still there, so I took the entire week before the half off. I wasn’t sure how my knee would feel on the day of the race, so I decided to just take it easy. I was still hoping for a slight PR (2:06). Race day weather was pretty miserable – mid-40s, feels like mid-30s, rain, and 14 mph winds, but I kind of forgot about it once the race got going. A special shout out to my fellow Happy Feeters for helping me decide what to wear on race day. Smile

Waiting for the start. I'm wearing the blue and white jacket with a blue headband and white visor.

Miles 1-4: 9:32, 9:42, 9:19, 9:37

As it was super windy and rainy at the start of the race, the majority of the runners were still hiding either inside or under the overhangs of the nearby buildings. This put me near the front of the line at the start of the race. I tried my best not to get caught up in the wave and felt pretty good during the first few miles. Based on how I was feeling, I decided my goal was to be within 9:30-10:00 minute miles.

Around a mile and a half, a woman near me asked if she could run with me. She was running her second half (her first being the DC RnR two weeks earlier) and wanted to finish around 2 hours. I figured the company could be nice and she might prevent me from going too hard. I told her about my pace goal, which seemed good to her as long as I didn't tell her our splits. Tongue

Miles 5-9: 9:54, 10:19, 10:09, 10:00, 9:42

My impromptu running partner began to fade at mile 5. I didn’t want to leave her behind though because she was so appreciative of my help and said her “wall” was at mile 7. I decided to bag my time goals and slow down for her. Although, I admit, it was hard for me to see our pace creeping up. My knee started to hurt a little bit during this stretch, as well.

Miles 10-13.2: 9:42, 10:08, 9:48, 9:40, 1:39

Just after the mile 9 marker, my running partner called it quits and started walking. I felt a little bad and hoped that I hadn't pushed her too hard (she ended up finishing around 2:13). After she stopped, I tried to pick up the pace just a bit. Of course, miles 10 and 11 were uphill. Tongue Around the mile 11 marker, my right leg pretty much gave up. Both my knee and hip, as well as my feet, were in quite a bit of pain. From this point until I made it back to the high school, I did a speed walk shuffle sort of thing. I just couldn’t get my right leg to go faster. Luckily, the rest of the race was basically downhill. Once I got back to the high school, I managed to find some residual energy and pushed. Once I got to the track, I was incredibly tempted to try to sprint, but decided it wasn’t worth it. I did manage to pass two people, though.

Here's me about to cross the finish line. I don't look very happy. Tongue

Once I crossed the finish, I was handed my medal, a bottle of water, and a bag of chips and was led off the track. I suddenly felt very cold and made my way (up a ton of stairs!) inside. All I wanted to do was sit, so I did and ate my chips. As I started to leave, I decided that, even though I wasn’t very hungry, I should probably eat something. There was some great post-race food and no line, so I got a slice of pizza, half a chocolate chip muffin, and a buffalo wing and ate them as I walked back to my car. Once I got home, it was time to start moving furniture (new house, yay!). Race day just happened to land on moving day, but I was oh-so-fortunate enough not to miss much. Tongue

Post-Race

I felt no residual soreness and my knee felt fine the following Tuesday (last year, it took about a week before I felt recovered). I didn’t want to risk it and was/still am busy with the new house, so waited until Thursday to try running again. A minute into the run my knee started complaining. I’m secretly hoping that my shoes are to blame (400 miles and soaked twice), so I may try again tomorrow in a new pair.

I’m pretty happy with my time, but I can’t help but wonder how I would have done if a) I hadn’t hurt my knee and/or b) hadn’t helped pace that woman. If my knee was fine, then I think I could have easily gone sub-2. If I hadn't helped pace the woman, then I think I may have come closer to a PR, but who knows. 3 minutes off really isn't too bad, though.

Next up is the PVTC Easter Classic 5k on April 12 and the Frederick 5k/HM on May 3-4. I was hoping to PR the 5k since it’s a flat course, but am now just going to work on pacing strategy for the Frederick 5k. My goal for the half is to go sub-2 if I'm able to start running again soon. If not, then I'll be happy with another 2ish.

Thanks for reading! Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Docket_Rocket

Nice job and nice pics too!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

outoftheblue

I love that race photo.  Sorry your knee and weather didn't fully cooperate, but great job nonetheless.   I hope your knee gets back to 100% soon.

Life is good.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Great job!  I think you look focused and strong at the finish.  I'd be happy with a finish photo like that.  Helping pace someone else is a noble cause.  It probably doesn't help you find your own potential, but I'm sure it can be a rewarding experience in and of itself.  Congrats!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

I agree, that picture is awesome. You look hardcore!

It's normal to wonder "what if"... But at the end of the day, you did great no matter what and that's what really matters. Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Very nice. If I woke up to those conditions, I would have stayed in bed. Good job and even better that you are healthy again.

Pinktastic

Way to go, Nova!   It was very sweet of you to help pace the woman, and you should not feel like maybe you pushed her too hard.  Her last race was 2 weeks ago and maybe it was just too soon for her to try to PR.    Besides, without you to pace her, she might not have even made it to mile 9.    :-)

Love the pics!   You may not have been happy in the last one, but you sure do look STRONG!   Huge Congrats!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket - Thanks! Smile

OOTB - Thanks! The weather didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The worst when when the wind would suddenly gust. Although it did happen in my favor once. Smile

Awood - Thanks! I'm hoping to actually race my next half...or maybe the one after that. Tongue As for the picture, I wish I could be one of those people that smiles in race photos or at least realizes that they're being taken.

happylily - Thanks! I told SO that as more and more time passed after the race, the more I'd be convinced I could have run a sub-2, maybe even placed! Big grin I would have placed if I was a year younger. *womp womp*

Jack - Thanks! It was either run in those conditions or move furniture in those conditions. It turns out I got to do both! Then it started sleeting and snowing. The next day it was in the 50s!

Pink - Thanks! She was super appreciative and actually told me at one point that she had been tempted to stop numerous times already, but didn't because I was running with her. I hope I've moved her wall from mile 7 to mile 9. Smile

Upcoming Races:

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half!  Sorry about the knee, hope it is just the shoes and that the knee problem resolves quickly.

Well, you may not look happy in your photo but you certainly look like you are running strong.

Good luck with the move and settling in to your new digs!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Congrats on a great race!

SheCan

Great job, and excellent of you to pace with another runner.  I have no doubts that you'll get that sub-2 soon.  It was smart of you to realize though, that going for it on a day your knee was acting up, was probably not the best time to go for it.  Congratulations on your still very good time.  Great pictures.  You always look like such a cool cucumber.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

Next time leave your new found friends in the dust when racing.  lol

That is not a bad time at all considering the forced time off and bum joint!  Hopefully you can rest up now and strengthen that thing, speaking of which do you cross train much?

Rain and wind is such a nasty combination but you did well, any idea what caused this latest issue?  What do you have planned next?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Agree with LRB.

Good job in poor conditions!

I find during a race encouragement is great but if the buddy doesn't respond it's time to leave them.

Rondog65

Great job all things considered. I bet you will get it next time.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

scotty - Thanks! I went for a run today in my new shoes. The pain was still there, but maybe less than before.

PAD - Thanks!

She Can - Thanks! That's partly why I decided to run with her instead. I knew my sub-2 goal was a long shot, so why risk further injury?

LRB - Thanks! I was planning on parting ways around mile 11, she just beat me to it. Tongue As for cross training, I was and still am planning on working in some weight lifting a few times a week once things settle down. I used to only lift and run to get in some cardio, so it's just a matter of getting into a routine. As for my knee, I have no idea. It was fine and then it wasn't. There was no real increase in mileage, no popping noise, no previous soreness/stiffness. I've had "runners knee" before, but this feels different. I assume I just overdid it. As for my future plans, I have a few more races this spring (two 5ks and two halves). I had wanted to sign up for more, but I'm glad I didn't! Once my knee is happy, I'm going to build my base up to about 30 mpw and then try to get in some actual race specific training for my fall races. Big grin

Slymoon - Thanks!

Rondog - Thanks! I'm optimistic that I can go sub-2 this year as long as nothing else pops up. Smile

Upcoming Races: