Beginners and Beyond

Las Cruces 50k trail (Long with pics) (Read 97 times)

SheCan

This year while looking for a trail race, I went outside my normal searching area, and found a small, low profile race, in southern New Mexico, which would be hosting their first 50k this year.  Something about it really appealed to me, and as it was within driving range (4-1/2 hours) and near my birthday, that it would be the race for me.  Plus it was way inexpensive and although it claimed to have minimal race support, it was more than I’m used to on my normal runs.

As it was a Saturday race, my lovely, supportive husband, decided he’d take the day off before the race, and we’d drive down.  From RW and my miles game group, Chris, who is an amazing runner and triathlete, had been struggling with a recent injury decided he’d come all the way from Albuquerque and have dinner with us and do the 10k trail despite not being in top form.  Yes, I thought that was incredibly nice.  Anyway, DH and I had a lovely dinner with Chris, the night before.

These wonderful pictures were taken by Chris.

We got up about 5:30, had a quick breakfast and headed to the race.  Chris, and several of his trail running friends from Albuquerque were there. Most of them were signed up for the 50k with me.  I quickly drifted more towards the back of the race once everyone started moving.  I ran along with a lady from the Albuquerque group and a man from El Paso.  Both were experienced ultrarunners, but were new to this trail.  Along the way, as people would pass and join us everyone would introduce themselves.  I thought this was so endearing, and was so much more personal than people just zipping by without even saying hi.

I’d looked at the elevation profile before beginning the race, and it appeared to be an all downhill race for the first 15-1/2 miles, turn around, and then back up the hill.  In reality, it was much more undulating.  Within the first few miles, I even felt myself being a little breathless going up a few of the inclines.   Looking across the desert landscape on one side was a lot of prickily, dry shrubbery and on the other, a line of the Organ mountains.   Although we weren’t exactly “in” the mountains, we were rather on the edge of them. As I was looking off into the distance, I kicked a rock hard, did a snazzy air dance, and righted myself before I hit the ground.  Wow, it was rocky!  This particular move would be repeated over and over hundreds of times throughout the race.

I ran with Mario from Texas for several miles before we the turnaround point.  Boy, that came up a lot faster than I expected, and I was still feeling great!  Well, anyway, mostly great, my hip and toe were nagging me some because of the ongoing kicking of rocks and righting myself.

Once I turned around and started back towards the beginning, I had an urge to really take off, but I knew this was where the race would slowly meander back up the hill.  In front of me was a man from the Albuquerque group who had a good steady pace.  I decided my best bet was to stay with him for a while.  He told me about the races he’d done— many longer races, 50 milers and lots of trails.  He also spent a lot of time giving back to the running community by volunteering.  The day before the race, his doctor told him that he had a possible stress fracture and needed to stop running for a while.  I guess he chose to wear a knee brace instead.  I ran with him until the next aid stop. I continued on, feeling very confident, happy, and trippy.

Eventually I came upon Chris, who after finishing his race, jumped into his car drove to an aid station with his fancy new camera (Lots of bells and whistles!) and was there snapping pictures.  Even though he was injured and just ran a speedy 10k, ran along with me for a couple of miles. I remember at one point, I said how I wished the course was a little more extreme.  Other than the constant rocks, it just felt a bit mild for a trail run.  This excessive arrogance would soon come back to bite me.  Shortly, Chris needed to turn around before he got too far from his car and I was left on my own.

By mile 24,   I realized I was tired.  The workers at the aid station told me it was 4 more miles to the next station.  Soon I passed another runner who looked confused about where to go, and I told him I thought it was just straight ahead, and I went on.  I would not see anyone else for what seemed an eternity.   The gradual incline suddenly seemed too much.  My left leg felt like I just could no longer lift it up high enough to avoid slamming my toe into another rock.  I’d try to make myself run, and almost without my permission, my legs would just start walking.  “I’m a runner, not a walker!” I’d say, and try it again, before I once again started walking.  “All the gains I made will be lost!  I’ll be last!”  I’d slam my toe into a rock, almost fall. “F..K!!!!  My toe cannot do this anymore!”  “ Lift that leg!”  I wondered how a ¼ of a mile could feel so far.  I struggled with my body and mind and continued to push forward always looking and hoping for the next aid station or to even see another runner.  Finally, in the distance I think I saw people standing on the cliffs edge.  I wondered what they were looking for.  They were so far away, but weren’t running.  I needed to get there.  As I approached, they began waving. “Ohhhh, they were watching me!”  I realized.

“Smile,” Chris called as I got near.  I think I might have whined that I couldn’t, but he assured me that I could.     So, I smiled, and it felt GREAT!   “Okay, only 4 more miles to go,” I thought to myself.  I can’t do math very well while running.  But the aid station was right there.  “Its only 2-1/2 miles to the end,” the volunteer said to me.  These words were like a gift of pure energy.  The end was within reach.  What had been an ongoing uphill run, also now had a few downhills.  My legs were cooperating, and I was running.

I just kept going forward until cows got in my way.  “Cows? Where’d you come from?  Shoo, go away!”  There were like 6 cows lined up on the trail. I didn’t want them to stampede me, but they needed to go.  It was really gnarly and stickery off of the path.  I clapped my hands and a several of them moved.  “GOOOOOO!!!”  I hollered.  Another one meandered off, but the last one looked mean, and wasn’t scared of a 100lb woman.  I decided I could handle going around one, and got a few stickers, but it was better than arguing any more with bovine.

It was barely any further along when I saw people and tents.  I was there!  And there was my husband, and Chris both smiling, and clapping!  Chris was taking pictures, DH was calling for me to keep running.  I gave it my all, and ran to the end.  As I finished, the kind race organizer with the great smile looked at me, and said “Congratulations, you’re our 2nd place woman!”  I ran to my DH, who didn’t seem bothered that I was filthy, and he hugged and kissed me.  Chris congratulated me.  The struggle had all been worth it.

with Chris after the race.

I ate a little bit of food--- mmmmMmmMMm, good taco’s provided by a local vender, and cheered a few more runners in.  We had further plans, so picked up my plaque for 2nd place woman ( there were VERY few women!) and gave Chris a hug.  Off we went to meet our other destinations.

I will say for a $35, this race was sooo worth it!  The trail was well marked; there were aid stations about every 4 miles; the volunteers were friendly and helpful, and we even got tee-shirts.      So if you’re ever in the Las Cruces/El Paso area, you really should check out the trail races while there.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Congrats!

I remember having those feelings at the last aid station of my hard trail 50K feeling I was not to finish in the allotted time, thinking i had 5 more miles to go and they said, you only have 3 and I flew like a bat out of hell to finish with a burst of energy never been seen on my legs.  Reading your RR reminded me of that, thanks!

When is the next one?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Great job!  Congrats!

I remember having those feelings at the last aid station of my hard trail 50K feeling I was not to finish in the allotted time, thinking i had 5 more miles to go and they said, you only have 3 and I flew like a bat out of hell to finish with a burst of energy never been seen on my legs.  Reading your RR reminded me of that, thanks!

When is the next one?

LOL, Damaris, I'm glad I reminded you.  And again, I need to thank you for letting me rummage through your training log trying to figure out how to do the training for this one.  You're definitely one of those people that I get a lot of inspiration from!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great race, She Can. That definitely sounds cool. I am pretty much a solitary runner and I don't mind running 20 miles by myself. That being said, I also don't mind a little bit of chit chat along the way, either. Someday, when I am ready for a 50k race, I will pick your brain about the training. Training for a marathon is hard enough so I can't imagine training for 30, 40, or even 50 miles! Fighting through the pain is tough, but you ARE tough and you finished the last four miles. Being able to smile at that point shows how strong you are; I know I would not be smiling.

It sounds like you and DH had a great weekend together and FEs are always nice. Assuming they are going to have that race next year, I may just pencil that in and DW and I can try to make a long weekend out of it.

Oh, if you plan on running more trail races, you may want to consider the Hoka shoes. I have never had any, but I have read that certain models are great for trail running.

Docket_Rocket

LOL, Damaris, I'm glad I reminded you.  And again, I need to thank you for letting me rummage through your training log trying to figure out how to do the training for this one.  You're definitely one of those people that I get a lot of inspiration from!

Pffftt. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Congrats. Sounds like you had a great race and good time. 2nd woman to boot. Enjoyed the report.

SheCan

Great race, She Can. That definitely sounds cool. I am pretty much a solitary runner and I don't mind running 20 miles by myself. That being said, I also don't mind a little bit of chit chat along the way, either. Someday, when I am ready for a 50k race, I will pick your brain about the training. Training for a marathon is hard enough so I can't imagine training for 30, 40, or even 50 miles! Fighting through the pain is tough, but you ARE tough and you finished the last four miles. Being able to smile at that point shows how strong you are; I know I would not be smiling.

It sounds like you and DH had a great weekend together and FEs are always nice. Assuming they are going to have that race next year, I may just pencil that in and DW and I can try to make a long weekend out of it.

Oh, if you plan on running more trail races, you may want to consider the Hoka shoes. I have never had any, but I have read that certain models are great for trail running.

LOL, of course you'd be smiling;  you have one of the best attitudes ever!  Its funny you mention the shoes, I actually own trail shoes, and they sure would have been fantastic on this race.  One of my favorite things about my trail shoes is the slightly larger toe area, HOWEVER, while getting ready for this race, I somehow forgot to pack them.  Don't ask me how it happened either, because other I have no excuse other than that I totally ditzed out. Thankfully, I did have my road running shoes that I'd brought as a spare!

*hugs* D!

PAD-- thank you so much!

Cherie

Congrats on 2nd place! I loved reading your report, especially the bit about the cows. Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Whew, I need a shower just reading your RR, Cherie.    !!! Congrats on the 2nd place !!!

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on doing so well at your ultra, especially so soon after your last marathon.  You are more hard core than you'll admit.  Second place woman is terrific.  I'm glad you and your husband were able to make a good weekend out of it.  One of the things that attracts me to ultra running is the community spirit.  Extra friendliness and helpfulness seem to be more common than in road races.  Thanks for sharing your story.  It sounds like a good place to race.

Just B.S.

SheCan, so glad you had such a great time! Beautiful scenery, meeting a friend, you look awesome,

supportive spouse there for you and an award! Doesn't get better than that.

Congrats!!!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Nothing like some cows blocking the home stretch...classic.  Congrats on the finish and 2nd in Women's...thats awesome.

**Ask me about streaking**

lagrandegazelle

Congratulations on your podium!

I really enjoyed your race report!

SheCan

nova-- thank you!  And I'm not even sure how to shoo off cattle.  All I know is they're a lot bigger than us!

Jerry-- LOL, shower up.  Thanks!

Ginny-- That really means a great deal coming from you.  You're such an adventurer, and have such a spirit.  I do hope one day we can meet, and I can keep up with you!

Beth-- thank you thank you!  You are right; life is good!

Jamezilla-- thank you so much for the kind words, and for taking time to read my report.    I'm hoping one day to grow up and be like some of you real trail runners!

Cherie

SheCan

Congratulations on your podium!

I really enjoyed your race report!

Thank you for reading, and I LOVE your nickname!

Cherie