Beginners and Beyond

Coaches? (Read 95 times)

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

It is surprising where one finds a coach.  Several people here suggested that a coach would be a good idea for me as I struggle with understanding canned training plans and have been in the midst of a roughly two year plateau littered with injuries.  I pretty much dismissed the idea as too expensive as my intial research indicated that it was out of my budget.  I was told to ask around because cheaper options exist.  An even better one found me.  A local youth coach who coaches a couple of adults (all far better runners than I) that I know because he uses Christian to pace some of them heard from Christian about my plan to do Cleveland and approached me about designing a training plan for me.  He isn't certified but he also doesn't charge anything.  He was a very good runner back in the day and the adults he coaches are all doing very well so I figured it certainly couldn't hurt.  What I didn't expect was to spend the next two days straight answering every conceivable question about running or to get messages after speedwork asking for my splits!  I will get my running schedule Thursday night and I'm very interested to see it.  I am also slightly intimidated by the fact that someone will be checking up on me (I had to give access to my running logs) but at the same time, I clearly need the accountability.  So in any case, a week ago, I thought the idea ludicrous.  Now, I have a coach.  The world is strange indeed.

Trail Monster

I got a coach that was new to coaching for half the normal price because she was looking to build a client base. Never hurts to negotiate. I'm only a couple classes away from a health and wellness degree plus I'm about to sit for my ACSM CPT. I could definitely build my own schedule but I'm not very good at following it. Most of what I get from my coach is accountability. I put in every mile at exactly the prescribed paces because I don't want to flush money down the drain. It's a great motivator!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If you're floundering and lacking direction, then a coach may be what you need. Part of the cost revolves around how much personal attention you need and expect. Many running clubs have coaches and the cost can range from free for club members for group training up to $100 per session for individualized analysis and programs. Coaches may be available through your LRS and there are many on-line coaches. You may get anything from a canned program to extensive personal attention with almost unlimited e-mail and phone updates depending on the coach and the cost. Think about what you want from a coach. Maybe all you need is a group or club to run with where you can get mentoring from more experienced runners.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

My running club offers free coaching, by some members who are college coaches and very successful runners.  You get it with the yearly club fee of $20, so it's a bargain.  A local group close to you may have something similar, if you wanted to check that out.  Informal coaching through a group or club might also be a good way to see how you like getting advice and following a loose plan, before you go and spend big bucks on a private coach.  Plus, folks at a running club or group may have some local suggestions.

Question, do you listen to music when you run?  I have no clue if you do or don't, but if you do, I know that when I listen to music I feel very unaware and out of tune with my body and pace and stuff.  If this is the case, maybe try a few runs without music to really try to zone in on your body and its feedback on effort and pace.  Like I said I am not sure if that applies to you but if it does, it's worth a shot to try.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Docket_Rocket

Mine is a fellow forumite from the Marathoners forum that started coaching 1-2 years ago.  We were friends and I asked him to prepare a plan for me for Berlin.  We worked really well and I expect him to help me next Fall on another PR attempt.  He is not very pricey but he is just starting up, so I assume he'll get pricier as the years go by.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

I would probably benefit from a coach but I have a hard time taking direction from anyone, especially if I'm told to do less than I feel I can handle.  And I like to be in control.

Chairman

If I could get myself healthy, I think I would seriously consider working with a coach. I need some fresh ideas and an objective eye.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

StepbyStep-SH

I have thought about the idea of finding a coach, and if I get through two or three focused cycles of trying to BQ without success, I may start searching. I think I have the potential to BQ, but may need some objective feedback on how to get there.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm thinking about hiring a coach to help prepare me for my first ultra. After being self-coached for over 40 years and having coached as well, working from the other side could be an interesting experience.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

If you're looking for a coach, I'd think that you'd check up with the LRS first as they might have a clinic or two running where you can find a coach. Sometimes, you can also search some of the local running groups, as they may have a directory of coaches who take on runners.

I currently have a coach but in order to get her, I had to apply, have recommendations from other runners, and get "accepted". Her price in my opinion is cheap ($200 for 6 months) - but then again, there are 30 members on the team. (Granted she does take time to try and work with everyone individually, sends out the weekly plan to each runner and answers unlimited e-mails)

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Oh my, I just got my first workout.  You wouldn't think a volunteer would be that hardcore.  Now I'm scared about the full month's schedule.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Oh my, I just got my first workout.  You wouldn't think a volunteer would be that hardcore.  Now I'm scared about the full month's schedule.

Don't be scared, be EXCITED!  You know the phrase "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"...time to break down some barriers!!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Trail Monster

I was the same way but 10 weeks later its crazy how much has changed! I look at a workout and think "This is gonna hurt." And then I go blow it out of the water and think, "That was it?!" You'll see!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

My coach gave me the whole plan at once.  When I saw that 20 with WTF paces I almost passed out.  So, workout by workout might be better, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

My coach gave me the whole plan at once.  When I saw that 20 with WTF paces I almost passed out.  So, workout by workout might be better, LOL.

I had that reaction just about today so it's probably better than I'm only getting one month at a time.  Smile