Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: El Grito 5K (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

• Held on Sep 13, 2014 at Missions Concepcion Park in San Antonio.
    •   My 49th race of 2014
    • About 100 or so participants
    • Weather:  Nice cool front blew in - around 68 degrees at the 8 a.m. start time.
    • Ended up with a chip time of 32:23, good enough for 1st in my Age Group; there were only 2 in my age group, lol.

BEFORE THE START

Arrived with about 45 minutes to go till start time.  At one point, a few of we participants had a bit of a convoy going because we went to the main part of Missions Concepcion Park, but the start was at a smaller part of the park across the street.  So several of us drove around following each other, until we finally figured it out.  The way I figured it out was I spotted a friend who was helping with the start-line set-up, so I stopped and gave a little beep of the horn and she kindly came over and set me straight as to which way to go. The rest of the folks finally figured it out too and found the place.  Guess that's what I get for arriving so early, no signs, etc., yet set up for me to follow. Oh well, it all worked out.  Wandered around and got some pre-start photos.

Me and the empty start/fnish line

This huge pecan tree made for a scenic backdrop for part of the park

Registration volunteers

photo 006_zpsdd198046.jpg

The folks providing music for us

Participants, supporters, etc.   The gray shirts are the race-shirts, very nice tech-tee

Gathering at the start area

These "Three Amigos" ran wearing those bandoliers.   I wasn't sure what "El Grit" meant (what little Spanish I know is terrible), so I asked them and they told me it was 'the yell."  The yell?  They told me it was like in some movies you see, like ones for example about Pancho Villa and his men, and the riders give that 'yell" as they go along.  I'm sure y'all have seen enough movies to know what I'm talking about.  So I understood better about their costumes, so thank you very much for them enlightening my unknowing gringo-self.

photo 019_zpsc90e0fd4.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The part of the park where we were was right along part of the Missions Extension - old 17th century Spanish Missions located in this area - which is part of the San Antonio Riverwalk, so we were right by the San Antonio River.  No businesses or anything like that down here, so a very peaceful part of the Riverwalk.   We did a very nice out-and-back route, with the exception that some 'sadistic race director"  arranged the course so we had a couple downhills on the way out that became hills to climb on the way back to the finish.  There was even a small hill near the finish, and then it got flat for a bit, and then we made a turn and had to do a small uphill incline to get to the finish...how RUDE!  As said, that darn sadistic race director...  All-in all, though, a really nice course.  Now that I know where this park is I plan to come out here for a few training runs on occasion, it really is a nice area to run.   Near the finish line as I climbed the last hill, I was running with a lady pushing her son in a jogger - and she really had a kick and passed me going up the hill.  But then she stopped at the beginning of the finish incline to let her son out to run into the finish.  So the son and I "raced" to the finish line, with me encouraging him, and he crossed over before me by about a second or two - and as I high-fived him, BIG smile on his face - all the "medal" I need in a race.  

I'm heading back now...and going toward that darn hill...

People coming toward me after making the turn-around point, others heading for it

Nice view of the river at this part of the course

AFTER THE FINISH

Small race, so post race-goodies were mostly water, fruit, small cups of gatorade, etc.  There were a couple of vendors at the park, so I spent a couple of bucks getting a full bottle of gatorade, which nicely hit the spot.  And here are the "Happy Finishers" and supporters, volunteers, etc.

The young lady I ran with toward the finish, and her son I ran with to the finish

Award winners got a medal and a photo was taken of them wearing a sombrero.  My pal, Bernadette, finished 2nd in her AG.

EPILOG

I think everyone enjoyed themselves...and the change in weather sure helped!  Nice course and lots of good, friendly folks out there.  Thanks to iaapweb.com for the course set-up and doing the timing, etc, thanks to all the sponsors supporting this one, and thanks to all our volunteers who were out there for us.  Definitely would recommend this one and do this one again.

Next up for me:  Gusto 5K on September 14, 2014 - that will me Race #50 of year for me.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Cyberic

Again, great report. You probably take more pictures in each of your races than I took in one month visiting Spain.

Congrats on your 49th race and first place finish on your age group.  BTW, good to see the spirit of Carmen Miranda is still alive in the running community.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

Sounds like a fun race.  I can't believe there's an area of the Riverwalk you haven't run before;-)  Congrats on the good time.  With all the pictures you take, and the hills, that must have been a surprise.

B-Plus

Congrats Scotty! You must have been pretty fresh after no racing last weekend. Good luck tomorrow.

Great job, Scotty!

AG win, cool!  Wink

Zelanie

Sounds like a fun race, Scotty, and a good time considering the uphill on the way back!  And what a fun way to finish!

Your 3 amigos were only partly right.  "El grito" does mean the yell, but it also has a special significance, especially this week.  It celebrates Mexican Independence Day.  I also found out when I was in Costa Rica that central America got its independence when Mexico did, so pretty much everybody is celebrating this week.

LRB

68 degrees?  Some of the peeps were dressed like it was 48 degrees.  lol

I love it!

outoftheblue

What a neat looking race, even with the late hills.   Thanks for sharing, Scotty!

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Great report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Love the sombrero! Congrats Scotty!