Beginners and Beyond

Bring on the Friday Penguins (Read 30 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Well guys.  Lunch is over.  I have to check my work email, and see if I can wrap up some loose ends.  Then, I have to get to tearing apart the bathroom.  Boy, I hope this goes as well as planned.  I've run through every conceivable scenario in my head, and hope my solutions are all as well thought out as I believe them to be.  You just never know when you start these things.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Oh, the woes of being a penguin. 

I"m also in a running group in Philadelphia and we have about 25 people at our group runs, and we have paces that range from sub-7:00 all the way up to 10:00 m/m.

Damn those young, fast runners.  A 10:00 pace is almost a tempo run for me...I could hang on for a little while but it wouldn't be easy!  I signed up anyway -- maybe another penguin will join.

Thank you, Margo!   That's how I feel too.  Heck I feel slow compared to most beginners.  I've rather came to accept that I'm just not a fast person, though I've improved, but that I'm doing these runs for myself anyway.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

12.8 miles done.

Scotty, try not to worry, like Gail said, you'be been down this road before. We got your back, let us know if we can do anything for ya.

Well, the dentist finished the haircuts, and the groomer fixed DW's teeth. Off to sleep, later Pengs!

Good luck to Jack and Phillithanks Scotty on your races this weekend. Oh and anyone else I missed too.

Docket_Rocket

Who cares what others run and how fast they are?  We are not the same and each runner is different!  So stop comparing yourselves and do the best YOU can do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Who cares what others run and how fast they are?  We are not the same and each runner is different!  So stop comparing yourselves and do the best YOU can do.

I agree completely.  It just means I don't have as many options for group runs.

I agree completely.  It just means I don't have as many options for group runs.

If you show up, I am sure that people will slow down a little and run with you. I hear that some of those groups wait at the end until everyone is finished and people hang out for a little while after and talk. Others that are in clubs might have more info about them.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Not necessarily true.  I belong to a running group and I still run alone while with them. I don't care since I love running alone.

I do hang out with them before and after.

If you show up, I am sure that people will slow down a little and run with you. I hear that some of those groups wait at the end until everyone is finished and people hang out for a little while after and talk. Others that are in clubs might have more info about them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - After P3 and I have our wedding, we're starting our running club back up (it fell apart when the temps dropped and the snow flew).  We just found a 1/2 mile track because our paces are going to range from 8 mi/min running to 14 mi/min running to C25K run/walkers.  I figure that it gives me and other runners an opportunity to work with each other if we see something.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Phillie - After P3 and I have our wedding, we're starting our running club back up (it fell apart when the temps dropped and the snow flew).  We just found a 1/2 mile track because our paces are going to range from 8 mi/min running to 14 mi/min running to C25K run/walkers.  I figure that it gives me and other runners an opportunity to work with each other if we see something.

That's a good idea.

I don't mind, in fact probably prefer, running alone, but having someone to talk to on occasional easy runs or long runs wouldn't be a bad thing.

Last year, the guy at the LRS invited me to "speedwork nights" with a group at a local HS track.  I was still too new to attempt that, but I'm going to look into it for this year.  I need to get more consistent with speedwork, and I would love to be able to learn from someone who knows what they are doing.

Zelanie

Kristin- Maybe you could find your running group's facebook page and post there to see if there are runners who are interested in getting together for a slower-paced run?  I know my local club has their "official" runs that often have posted paces (though the social run is intentionally a big range), but there are plenty of unofficial runs getting set up through FB all the time based on interest.  It might be worth a shot!