Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday's Tempo Penguins! (Read 30 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Before I headed out for my run yesterday, I had Jack Klompus in my head.  He was all like, "Dude, why are you trying to run more than Daniels tells you to?  Marathon day is right around the corner.".  So, I went for a 30 minute walk / run with my wife using a 2:1 ratio.  She's had some setbacks while training for her first HM, but she's covered 9 miles and she's shooting for 10 tonight.  With the setbacks though, she ends up taking some walk breaks.  I wanted her to try structured walk breaks because I thought she might be able to maintain a better pace if she used walk/run rather than run until she's exhausted, and then try to recover.  Well, our 30 minute test run went well.  She's going to try it tonight for her 10 mile run.  She's just looking to finish, and doesn't have an lofty time goals.  So, I think this is going to make her life a lot easier.  I think we'll know for sure after tonight's run.

AFM: I get to run a big ole tempo run tonight.  I'm pretty stoked.  It's nothing compared to next Tuesday's tempo run, but it should be fun.  Next week's comes up to about 16 miles....ON A TUESDAY!!!  All of my runs start getting shorter after that though.  Oh well.

The other marathon update has to do with fundraising.  They have me tied for 10th among St. Jude Heroes for fundraising.  That's pretty awesome!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

That Jack is wise!

Morning!  7 with 2 @ MP tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Awood and Pengs.  P3 is making so much progress.  She will get the HM done.  So what is a good walk/run interval?  Any "Best Practice"?

Another short run after work for me.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

More pictures today, Traci?

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Missed the last couple days.  Had a great 8 miler this morning, actually felt like fall, love it!

Added MLRs to my log, and changed all of my previous 10-14.9 milers to MLRs, new colors! Smile  Sure, it doesn't really matter, but it's fun playing with the graphs.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hello Penguins!

I was "long weekending it" with the wife. We were at the beach and had some beautiful weather! I messed up on my plan though - I was supposed to do a 5 mile tempo and the next day do a long run. Well the tempo got done and I figured I should be able to get a LR in somewhere even if it was a day late but it didn't happen. Oh well. Did walk about 4 miles on the beach on Sunday. Yesterday I ran 3 recovery - which were out of place because I didn't do the LR. Today I feel dead - I don't know if it was walking in the sand or just the weekend in general. Any way I hope I rally for my intervals tonight - I have 9x200 at 800m pace.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Dad on the run.

Good morning Pens!

Awood - Don't try to over do it! P3 will rock that HM Smile

Docket - Enjoy the 7 tonight

Jerry - enjoy the short run tonight. Hope your weather is as nice as ours right now.

Dtothe2nd - Good job with your 8, what did you run it in? 30min? Tongue The progress you have made just amazes me considering you started when I did. I guess the big difference though is I've ran about 1000 miles since I started vs your 3000.

Gustav - Beach sounds amazing. I need another vacation.

3.16 last night, 1.5 with wife last 1.5 alone. Picked up my pace on the last mile and ran a 7:41. Dogs seem to have enjoyed it as well Smile Have 4 scheduled for tonight, probably run them around 10:00m/m with the boys.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Awood, that jack is wise..

Damaris, feeling better today?

Jerry, Galloway book do cover that..The walk/run ratio..

Dave, new color for graph is exciting.

Gustav, sound like a fun weekend.

Jimmy, you are doing great.. No more pain on the knee? When's the plan starting?

Rest day for me as still feeling under the weather.. Lots of thick greenish phlegm.. We will be visiting Gynae tomorrow morning at 9am for induced labour.. Will see if I can walk up to squeeze in a 10MLR before that.. Next 2-3 days is going to be busy..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Good morning!  On the road again today.  This time we are visiting bilingual middle schools, since our students will be going into 6th grade next year.  Running 4-6 when I get home.  From yesterday's threads, I have to say that both Traci and Lauren are very photogenic penguins!

Awood- Have a great tempo run tonight!  I'm glad P3 is finding what works for her as a runner.  Isn't it interesting how we can have the same hobby but totally different approaches and goals?

D- Enjoy the MP miles!  I forgot to ask- is DH running anything in Chicago?

Jerry- Enjoy the short run!

D2- I gotta go in and add MLRs too.  It makes my spring training log look like I was running half my miles as LRs since I used LR for them.  I don't know that I will go back, but I might start adding it in.  Once I get my second run up to long enough to "count" that is!

Gustav- Nothing like 200s to perk up tired legs! Those are my favorite distance from the track workouts I've been going to.

Jimmy- Glad you had a good run!  For me, I've realized that there's always going to be somebody faster and slower than I am.  At running club, I'm generally one of the slower runners, especially on track days.  Among "people who run" at my work, I'm "fast".  So it's all relative.

tracilynn

Hello penguins

46 degrees here this morning So Nice And crisp!  Last night is the first night I didn't cough my head off.  Still doing shin splint exercises. Shin is only painful when I Press around in there hard.  will resume morning runs tomorrow morn  Looking forward. Smile

Im off to upload random misc pics here now that I know how to do it.  EvilY'all will be sorry you showed me how to do it.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Rest day for me as still feeling under the weather.. Lots of thick greenish phlegm.. We  will be visiting Gynae tomorrow morning at 9am for induced labour.. Will see if I can walk up to squeeze in a 10MLR before that.. Next 2-3 days   months is going to be busy..

Fixed your post!

BABY TIME!

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Gustav, walking in sand is really TOUGH when you're not used to it. When we went to the beach in August my legs got really sore just walking in the sand, DH too.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

Bin - I'm still having some ITB pain, but from what I've read as long as I can run with the pain and not have to change my form to compensate then I should be fine running through it. So far I don't think my form has changed, I figure if my form changes then I will probably start hurting some where else and so far I haven't. It's slowly getting better as long as I keep sticking to my daily stretching / rolling.

My official plan starts next week.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Traci, haa... Glad it's not years..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar