Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Special Olympics Texas Frozen Flippers 5K at SeaWorld (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 66th race of 2015 and my second 5K of 3 5Ks I was doing on December 12, 2015. The SeaWorld San Antonio Frozen Flippers 5K supports Special Olympics of Texas and, if I recall correctly from the announcement at the race, more than $17,000 was raised for the cause, between sponsors and participants. Event was held at SeaWorld San Antonio. I think there were a lot more registered than showed up, probably because the weather was a bit ‘iffy”, with storms threatening. The wind was also blowing like crazy, but at least it was warm, around 70 degrees, although the wind gusting at times 20 – 25 mph did give the air a bit of a bite. I think we had about 30 or so people actually show up – too bad for the rest, because this was a really nice route that included getting a nice running tour of the park, so all the no-shows missed out. It was also a noon start time – rare for our local races, usually held in the a.m. – but nice. I ended up getting first in my age group; of course, there were only two IN my age group, lol. Still nice to get another medal to give to the cancer kids at the local children’s hospital, which is what I do with any medals I may be lucky enough to get. My time was pretty slow too – 35 minutes something – mainly because I kept stopping inside the park to get photos; this is a very unique course, so I just told myself heck with the time, I was going to take time to see what we were running past, and enjoy myself; and I did!

BEFORE THE START

Got to SeaWorld with about 45 minutes to start and got some pre-start photos of what was around us, and some of the participants, volunteers, etc.

Race Director Anna (right) and another volunteer 'modeling' the very nice tech tee long-sleeved race shirts that participants got

photo 065_zpsnrtkajni.jpg

photo 066_zps4lku8mxo.jpg

Minnie and Jose from iaapweb.com, a very good local race company that did the course setup, timing, results, etc.  I accidentally called Minnie by the name of Lana..but that's okay, it's a natural mistake as Lana is Minnie's "sister" - well, okay, daughter, but Minnie must have had Lana when Minnie was about 12, lol, because they both look so young and are both lovely ladies.

photo 067_zpsy59s6aij.jpg

Med team out on the job for us; thankfully their services were not needed today, but thanks for being there for us.

photo 069_zpsucpyuo5v.jpg

View of one of the park coasters from where we were

photo 071_zps1mrb0f3n.jpg

Awwww....they knew Scotty Dogg was coming and put us right by the kennels..

photo 072_zpsaqexicqk.jpg

Our Music Man

photo 073_zpsgfhesoik.jpg

Start/finish point was out in the wide open spaces and it was very windy

photo 084_zpsrvjjz20n.jpg

Nice view where we were of "Old Glory" waving in the wind

photo 083_zps10ik0nil.jpg

The wind was really blowing in these open spaces, as you can see from Bernadette's hair doing  the wild thing...here she and I are...Race Number 2 for the day

photo 074_zps38ozp8qs.jpg

photo 075_zpsj6fx5fg2.jpg

Shamu

photo 076_zpsguld1etv.jpg

photo 077_zpsxqejf1ls.jpg

Dancing with the EMTs

photo 078_zpsmxcke7kg.jpg

photo 079_zpsj2ourmez.jpg

photo 080_zpst5hraviu.jpg

photo 081_zpsv6mazsqc.jpg

photo 082_zpsevjfyazy.jpg

photo 085_zpszhnpdufe.jpg

One of the sponsor groups getting an appreciation award from Special Olympics Texas (SOTX)

photo 086_zpsmahhctim.jpg

photo 087_zpskg0jqpip.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started in the parking lot area, went up to the main entrance of the park, did a trek through one part of the park, then out onto a service road behind the park; then back into the park coming at it from a different direction, out the main entrance, and back around the parking lot to the finish. To and from the inside of the park was quite windy, but inside the park, with all the buildings, etc., providing a wind break, it was quite pleasant; and lots to see along the way too.

Starting in the wind

photo 088_zpsjcihiduk.jpg

photo 089_zpsyx19vudh.jpg

Into the main entrance of the park...

photo 090_zpszqahhe7i.jpg

Nice and peaceful in here, with lots to see along the way

photo 091_zps0znk5cct.jpg

photo 092_zpszxcofqtu.jpg

photo 093_zpsrav2edpo.jpg

Out onto one of the service roads, which took us underneath parts of one of the roller coasters

photo 094_zpspae12ftx.jpg

photo 095_zpsiruijlhp.jpg

photo 096_zpswprmdtgq.jpg

photo 097_zpsptsze3jn.jpg

photo 098_zpsvmcby7hc.jpg

photo 099_zps1kjievd3.jpg

Back into the park...

photo 100_zpsymmy4x8i.jpg

photo 101_zpsxowi6uoi.jpg

photo 102_zpsa3r3danu.jpg

photo 103_zps8dftc0rs.jpg

photo 104_zpsdxv1k9dg.jpg

photo 105_zpsnive6oka.jpg

photo 106_zpswrqliqzk.jpg

photo 107_zpswsvkcknj.jpg

photo 108_zpsvqvzfzpl.jpg

photo 109_zpsp1zydkwo.jpg

photo 110_zpsmpnmyi3m.jpg

That's a hunka hunka snowman love...

photo 111_zps1ernz9zk.jpg

Running with the angels

photo 112_zps4ohoaj02.jpg

Through the kiddie play/rides area

photo 113_zpsnwkedksw.jpg

Past these decorated trees

photo 114_zpsegcmkife.jpg

...and then it was back out the main entrance and on to the finish in reverse of the way we had started.

AFTER THE FINISH

Wandered around after the finish getting photos and also enjoying the post-race goodies, which included pizza and Shipley donuts…I indulged in both, lol. Then I got my medal – thank you to the MC for doing we ‘old guys’ first during the awards ceremony as I had to get going to get to my 3rd 5K of the day – and was off to the races – literally – heading toward my next 5K location.

This lady and I were in the same proximity for most of the course

photo 116_zpsqh1aboxl.jpg

photo 115_zpsgpxg3a1i.jpg

photo 117_zpsunf3oame.jpg

photo 118_zpsfpjmcakn.jpg

iaapweb.com timing chip remover...sitting there in that wind the whole time...thanks for being there for us, buddy!

photo 119_zps2mpel1id.jpg

photo 120_zpsh8fro9f3.jpg

Small world!  The lady on the left is Angel from Morgan's Wonderland Park, where I had just been at my first race of the day.   She is a friend of my wife and me.

photo 121_zpsatwk6and.jpg

photo 122_zps3em5wgud.jpg

photo 125_zpsqptoshwg.jpg

photo 126_zpsjn1k0jha.jpg

Race number 2 of the day done!

photo 127_zpsyhhxvscj.jpg

Post-race pizza...good stuff...and nice to get a bite to eat before my next 5K of the day

photo 123_zpsvg90yw0q.jpg

Thank you, pizza people...

photo 124_zpskxh9k11o.jpg

EPILOGUE

This was the inaugural 5K for the event and it was a lot of fun. The route was well planned out, giving everyone a very nice look at just about the whole darn inside of the park. As said previously, those who didn’t show for this one missed out. I would hope this one grows in the future as it is for a very good cause and also is a very unique route. Definitely would do this one again in the future. Mucho thanks to all the race organizers, sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, etc., who were out there cheering us on, law enforcement, etc; all the people who made this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Too bad so few showed up. That looks like a great place to run.

LRB

70 degrees and people were wearing long sleeves? Only in Texas. lol

delicate flower

70 degrees and people were wearing long sleeves? Only in Texas. lol

And coats!    lol

That looks like a fun race, Scotty!  Very cool to run through an amusement park.  

<3

SheCan

What a fun looking race Scotty!

Of course before the race started Shamu looked like the only warm one.

And  you got warm pizza when you finished, Yum!

Hope you're having a great Christmas season!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson