Beginners and Beyond

Well it is the Wednesdailies. (Read 43 times)

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Happy Birthday, Lilac!

Today I did 16K with two 4K segments at HM pace and the rest at an easy pace.  I had planned a harder workout but during my warmup segment I felt really flat so I decided to take mercy on myself and switch to something easier.  Having to bundle up because of the freezing temps certainly didn't help.  Oh well, just one of those days!

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thought y'all might find this interesting:  Ranking of the all the states by which are the best states to retire in:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/retirement/best-places-retire-how-state-ranks.aspx

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

Miles after work today.

Slacking the past two days on crunches and push-ups.  Back on that tonight as well.

Running for TJ because he can't.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Personals later, I gotta run out the door.

So!  It turns out I just have REALLY bad allergies, I guess.  Whew.  Never been this bad before but oh well?  I loaded up on meds and felt a lot better.  ANYhow I decided to try some tempo intervals today.  My longest run since coming back has been 5 miles but I don't care.  I got 28 miles last week so I'm beginning to feel the aerobic coming back, and my legs are strong.

So I did a fairly easy 6 x 800 at 3:20 each (on a treadmill on incline--was raining out).  Total of 5 miles w/ warmup and the jogging rests between in 40:20.

I was pretty pleased even though those 800s would usually be slow for me, because I wasn't even breathing hard, just kind of annoyed at having to lengthen my stride that much and not QUITE accustomed to running that hard.  I think with a few more weeks under my belt I could get back to running the 3 miles continuous at that pace.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Hip Redux

Are you talking to yourself now?

I wanted to be sure that I knew I had registered. lol

scottydawg, great workout at the gym.

Beth, beautiful swim. Enjoy the four miles.

Brrrrrrr, fantastic five-miler.

Zelanie, brava for assisting the trail runners in such a yummy way.

Jay, have a pleasant MLR.

outoftheblue, I hope that you enjoy the time with your DH and your mom.

Zentastic, excellent interval workout.

Robert, have fun running, pushing and crunching.

scappodaqui, terrific tempo intervals.

I received my entry confirmation for the B.A.A. 10KSmile

Hip Redux

You're so persuasive.  I signed up too.

(Actually it was just an email: "The BAA 10K opens registration today - it's 8am race time in Boston but I figure I'd let you know it was today just in case." me: "ok")

You, me, Basya, Phil.... kick ass.  Big grin

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Hi everyone,

I'm on my phone so this will be quick. Got 5.1 hilly miles in this morning. Run went well, but my allergies are not pleased with me now.

Happy birthday Lilac!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Warning: Mini-vent ahead.

So I work with this guy. He's a young kid - around 22 or so - and pretty obnoxious. He's also a semi-runner (he bandits, too, which I've told him flat out I don't appreciate). He also goes to the LRS group runs on Wednesdays, but the past few weeks he was in a class so he didn't go to the group runs. His absence was fabulous.

He gets mad at me when he asks if I'm going, and I tell him no - that I have other stuff to do or whatever.

T: Are you going to the group run tonight?

Me: No, I told you the other day, I can't - I'm busy.

T: Whatever man

Me: Uh, I have a 5k planning meeting. Can't get out of it and I don't pick the dates.

T: WHATEVER. (rolls eyes and walks away)

It's kind of laughable in a way, but also pretty annoying. Oh and around April Fool's Day he told a girl at the group run (I wasn't there that day) that I was run over by a car. Then he said "HAHA, just kidding."

Yeah.

B-Plus

Warning: Mini-vent ahead.

So I work with this guy. He's a young kid - around 22 or so - and pretty obnoxious. He's also a semi-runner (he bandits, too, which I've told him flat out I don't appreciate). He also goes to the LRS group runs on Wednesdays, but the past few weeks he was in a class so he didn't go to the group runs. His absence was fabulous.

He gets mad at me when he asks if I'm going, and I tell him no - that I have other stuff to do or whatever.

T: Are you going to the group run tonight?

Me: No, I told you the other day, I can't - I'm busy.

T: Whatever man

Me: Uh, I have a 5k planning meeting. Can't get out of it and I don't pick the dates.

T: WHATEVER. (rolls eyes and walks away)

It's kind of laughable in a way, but also pretty annoying. Oh and around April Fool's Day he told a girl at the group run (I wasn't there that day) that I was run over by a car. Then he said "HAHA, just kidding."

Yeah.

He sounds like a real d-bag. Is he going to bandit your race?

Docket_Rocket

I do allergy shots to help my lethal allergies and asthma and I would recommend you to check whether they can help you.

Personals later, I gotta run out the door.

So!  It turns out I just have REALLY bad allergies, I guess.  Whew.  Never been this bad before but oh well?  I loaded up on meds and felt a lot better.  ANYhow I decided to try some tempo intervals today.  My longest run since coming back has been 5 miles but I don't care.  I got 28 miles last week so I'm beginning to feel the aerobic coming back, and my legs are strong.

So I did a fairly easy 6 x 800 at 3:20 each (on a treadmill on incline--was raining out).  Total of 5 miles w/ warmup and the jogging rests between in 40:20.

I was pretty pleased even though those 800s would usually be slow for me, because I wasn't even breathing hard, just kind of annoyed at having to lengthen my stride that much and not QUITE accustomed to running that hard.  I think with a few more weeks under my belt I could get back to running the 3 miles continuous at that pace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

There are apps for that and dinosaurs called calendars Joking

I wanted to be sure that I knew I had registered. lol

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

He sounds like a real d-bag. Is he going to bandit your race?

He told me a story a few months ago about how he ran the Via half in 2009 or 2010 but stopped around mile 10 to take a detour to Panera Bread because he "really had to go" and never finished the race. I said "Why didn't you finish?" and he gave some lame excuse. My theory is that he never actually registered for it. Ugh. By the way, there were porta-potties at each relay exchange station and Panera was a good mile or so off course...

He also said last week "Hey I think I'm going to train for a marathon in 3 months!" and I said "Well, good luck" and walked away.

He IS a real d-bag.

YAYpril - B-Plus

There are apps for that and dinosaurs called calendars Joking

I keep my gmail inbox relatively clean, but all of my current (not-yet-run) race registration confirmations are in there. I seriously get panic attacks a week before a race because I don't remember for sure if I registered or not. Then I remember I've received 85 emails regarding this specific race and I'm ok. But then I still check online registration confirmation (if it's available).

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I do allergy shots to help my lethal allergies and asthma and I would recommend you to check whether they can help you.

Ugh, I hate to get more meds, but as you know, asthma is an issue for me as well, so I'll talk to my pulmonologist about it.  I just don't want to be on steroids for too long, either!

Lilac, happy b-day!

Marjorie--18 days?  Boy, that's some rest.

flarunner--oooh, seriously, a shooting star?  that's awesome.

Baboon, let us know how the first run back went.  The first one is the hardest.

kiristin, for me, running with a cough was a great way to get 5 cases of bronchitis last winter and wreck my track season.  So I would enjoy some rest.

AmiK--32 hours?  o_0 AND Insanity?  That's... insane!  What is Insanity like, anyway? I'm curious.

Pink--I'm glad you got out of the house.  Have fun at work.

Oski, ugh, sorry about your back.  Muscle relaxants feel really good to me, though. Wink

Sparker, hang in there with the knee.

Scotty--yay weights!  How do you find all these fun runs/races? you do them all the time, I'm jealous.

Just B.S. that is excellent swimming, I need to get back in the pool.  Got really good with it while I was injured.  It's great for breath control, too.

Brrr--solid 5.

Zelanie, I think the runners will definitely appreciate your dedicated baking.  I know how ucky it feels to be walking when everyone else is running (when I was injured I tortured myself by walking around my usual running loop), but you know you're a runner and will be back.

outoftheblue--wow, 11 miles. o_0 niiice.

Zentastic, sounds like a good workout to me.  Cold definitely can impact things.

April--that guy sounds like SUCH a jerk!   I'm not as mature as you are and would totally have said 'Well, where were YOU last week?' or 'I run just as well on my own schedule.'  It sounds so neat that you're planning a race, btw.  That takes a ton of organization.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb