Beginners and Beyond

A question for the shoe hoarders (Read 83 times)

LRB

Regarding your favorite model; how many is too many? How many is not enough?

Reason I ask is three of my faves are about to go on closeout and I do not really want to overdo it, but I do not want to under-do it either. Know what I'm saying? Okay so that's three questions not one, forgive me I got carried away.

Anyway, how do you decide? Or am I over-thinking it? Seriously though is there a such thing as over-thinking it where running shoes are concerned?

#sixquestions

happylily

I once read on RW that it was not such a good idea to keep shoes a long time, even if they are not used. Something about them not staying "fresh" (for lack of a word I can't think of...). The temperature in storage, etc... Not sure I believe it, but I do think of it whenever I look at my pair of Asics Noosa 6 which are about 4 years old, but with only 90 miles on them. I decided to save them for races only the day Asics changed color and model number. But when I look at them now, it's like I look at a piece of stale bread and no way I'm racing in them... Dead at only 90 miles. Such a premature death. Sad...  If I were you, I wouldn't buy more than you can use within a year or two.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

You rang? 

I don't buy more than two or three pairs, because they DON'T last forever.  Just ask my co-worker who was surprised when he pulled out a twenty-year-old pair of shoes from his closet and found that they fell apart after one run.

And then I ration out the usage.  Because I don't know what I'll do when I don't have them anymore!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I was wondering myself if I should get more of the ones I just got on clearance. This is a new thing for me.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Who is having clearance sales?  I hate paying full price.

I just got Ravenna 5's from Running Warehouse for $61, reg. $110.

Dave

LRB

The House is doing their annual thing (look to the upper right of the site), mostly because February is the month for new arrivals.

Cyberic

I bought 2 pairs of Mizuno Wave Riders 16 while they were still available, as the two pairs in my rotation were getting very old. Got them at discount price and was wondering if I should have gotten more. Turns out I'm happy I didn't as my taste in shoes is changing.

Regarding your favorite model; how many is too many? How many is not enough?

Reason I ask is three of my faves are about to go on closeout and I do not really want to overdo it, but I do not want to under-do it either. Know what I'm saying? Okay so that's three questions not one, forgive me I got carried away.

Anyway, how do you decide? Or am I over-thinking it? Seriously though is there a such thing as over-thinking it where running shoes are concerned?

#sixquestions

As many as you think will see you through until there is a workable replacement.

I stocked up on Elixir 6s when it was revealed that the 7 would have flamingly gay tiger stripes (nttiawwt).  The problem became more dire when the 8s became the last Elixirs, and Mizuno's response to "what will replace this shoe?" was "we're coming out with a totally different model in a totally different category that's going to bomb, the Sayonara.  Fuck you all, lightweight stability wearers."

With the next Adidas Tempo getting portly enough to squeeze it out of the lightweight category, it's looking like DSTs will be in heavy rotation.

Docket_Rocket

I assume it had Docket on the title.

I would say hoard as much as you can.  You never know when your favorite model is retired, like the Elixir, sniff.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

As many as you think will see you through until there is a workable replacement.

I stocked up on Elixir 6s when it was revealed that the 7 would have flamingly gay tiger stripes (nttiawwt).  The problem became more dire when the 8s became the last Elixirs, and Mizuno's response to "what will replace this shoe?" was "we're coming out with a totally different model in a totally different category that's going to bomb, the Sayonara.  Fuck you all, lightweight stability wearers."

With the next Adidas Tempo getting portly enough to squeeze it out of the lightweight category, it's looking like DSTs will be in heavy rotation.

I heard a rumor the Elixirs are coming back soon.  Might be under another name but ELIXIRS!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

5-6 pairs or about a year's worth.

B-Plus

I assume it had Docket on the title.

I would say hoard as much as you can.  You never know when your favorite model is retired, like the Elixir, sniff.

You are not allowed to answer 

I ended up grabbing 2 more pair of Hitogamis because I thought I should have more room for my feet to expand for the marathon. Sweet deal. $46 each after discount code.

As many as it takes to see you through to the next model that works for you.

I think I went through 7-8 pairs of Trespasses before they stopped working for me. Then one round of Cascadias before they got remodeled. Then it seemed like an eternity before I found shoes that worked for me again - Xodus 3. They even got rid of some of the aches and pains I'd accumulated from wearing shoes that didn't work for me.

I'm now working on 7 pairs of Xodus 3 - 3 pairs in the 750-800mi range (none retired), 3 pairs in the 50 to 350mi range, and one unopened. The high mileage ones seem to have gotten better as they aged. I'm thinking the new ones are a little on the stiff side and need to be broken in and adapt to my feet. For the most part, they're only about 1.5 to 2 yr old, with my initial pair being 2.5 yr old - wore them long enough to be sure they'd work for me, then stocked up, esp. when I saw half price sales. The last 2 yrs I've run/hiked 1500 miles, so I've probably got 1-2 yr left. The shoes aren't perfect - poor traction - but they're so much better than anything else I've used recently.

I've got a wide forefoot that's generally hard to fit and like forefoot protection - about 22-mm stack height and rock plate. And none of those rockers that they like to put in shoes these days.

If I had to, I could go back to my Vasque Blur or Mindbender, I think. They fit well but have a ride like a hiking boot. There's probably a couple other models sitting there, that I could wear occasionally to remind myself why I don't like them. Hokas and Altras get used occasionally.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              RSX

Most boxes of shoes I ever had has been 4. When the New Balance Outlet puts my favorites on clearance plus has a 25% off sale (usually once a month) on top of that I'm in. I have 3 boxes of shoes now so may have to drop by soon.