Beginners and Beyond

Talalgia Thursday Penguins! (Read 21 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Talalgia - Pain in heel or ankle

I'm having this! Very slightly in my right foot right above my heel. Nothing major though and it's usually worse in my asics vs my new balance :/

Lastnight I "ran" with EK. She wanted to go do our 1 mile walk/run and since yesterday was a RD anyways I figured why not! By the time we ran the route and got back to the house we were at 1.13 miles, I was going to go around for 2 and she wasn't happy about me leaving her at home with mom and she said she wanted to go with me.

Me - "Are you sure you want to do this again"

Her - "Yep, I'm sure"

Me - "If we do this you can't come back home until we are done"

Her - "Ok, I want to"

about .10 miles into it

Her- "I'm cold, can we turn around"

SERIOUSLY!?! LOL!!! I told her no, and that if she starts something she's going to finish so we ran around the block and I dropped her back at the house at 1.6 miles and finished the .4 alone.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

It's 8am and I'm the only one who has posted! Talk about some lazy penguins this morning, sheesh.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Jimmy- Too funny!  Glad you got a good run in with her though. Smile  Oh, have you looked up heel drop exercises for your heel?  I've been doing them and it seems to help mine.

I had a great interval workout last night.  It was close to the pace that was making me so grumpy during my race on Saturday, but it was really no big deal at the track last night.  Go figure.  Anyway, that was my last speed workout before my 10 miler, so that gives me some confidence going into it.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I'm awake, JBJ, and cute story.

Rest day for me, I am taking it easy this week since I have a long run on Sunday. I will get some easy miles tomorrow and Saturday, though track season has started and there is a meet. I get to work the triple jump pit. Yippee...

Zelanie

I'm awake, JBJ, and cute story.

Rest day for me, I am taking it easy this week since I have a long run marathon on Sunday. I will get some easy miles tomorrow and Saturday, though track season has started and there is a meet. I get to work the triple jump pit. Yippee...

FYP.  Enjoy the rest day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Biking tonight.

In court right now but will be back later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Haha too cute Jimmy Smile

4.25 miles on the treadmill with a few pickups between miles 3-4. Felt good to open my stride up a little - I've been using strides/pickups once or twice a week to *really* work on keeping good form while moving a little faster and it's feeling much more natural now, hopefully it'll pay off when I'm able to do real speedwork again.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

On the road early.  I got in a short run this morning.  I am second guessing this weekend's race.  600 registered.  Snow.  Narrow park bridges.  Damn.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  So I had quartet coaching last night, which was good in that we made some progress, but difficult in that we're mostly past the easy-to-fix technical stuff and into "let's get some of the musicality into the performance", which is harder to define and therefore harder to pull off.  Good stuff, though!  Tonight is chorus rehearsal.  I did bite the bullet and buy one of those roll recovery things in the "Don't like to foam roll?" thread, since I hate to foam roll but suspect my runner's knee would benefit from it.  I winced at the price, but it's fully returnable/refundable, so I'd just be out the return shipping if it wasn't helpful.  And with my tight calves and hamstrings, hopefully it'll be helpful.  Guess I'll know in a week or so!

jblack -- laughing at the EK run!!  

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for a good-feeling speed workout!!

Jack -- have a good RD!!

Docket -- have a good ride tonight!  (Heh heh heh ...)

Lauren -- sounds like a nice TM workout!!

Awood -- hmm, sounds like a recipe for congestion!!  

BTW, I am SOOO looking forward to this weekend!!  We're supposed to be in the 50's/60's again.  Come on, lady Spring!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Jimmy - that was a good lesson for your daughter about consequences.  Good daddy!  Sorry about your foot.   Is the heel drop in the shoes that different?

Z - your hard work is really giving you noticeable results.

Jack - enjoy your taper.

D - have a good bike ride.  Good luck in Court today.

Lauren - I like to do that too on the TM.  It lets me know I can go somewhat fast, plus it relieves the boredom.

Awood - Hope the snow doesn't become a problem this weekend.  I'm sure you'll do well, but probably not as well as on a dry course.  it seems like the snow is never going to melt around here, but next week's warming forecast gives a little hope (except the possible snow next Thursday.)

HM - keep us posted about the effectiveness of your new gadget.  I haven't had much luck with my foam roller, but then, I may just be doing it wrong, or not long enough.  Have fun at chorus tonight.

AFM:  I finally heard from the local running club, and they do need volunteers for Saturday's race.  (I sent messages three different ways asking if they needed help and got no response except, "Try this person instead." Wink  Since it's the HM I had hoped to be my first, both two years ago and this year, I figure I can at least participate a little this way, even if I can't run.  Plus next year I'll know what to expect if I'm finally able to do this race.  It's the oldest of the "local"  HMs.  It's been held annually for about 35 years.  The other nearby races are only two and three years old, so not likely to be as well organized.  All are very small though, 200-400 people, so nothing like the races you'all do.

Dad on the run.

Ginny - new balance is 7mm, asics are 10mm

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

Jimmy-- LOL @ that story.  You're such a good daddy!

Zelanie--  "It was close to the pace that was making me so grumpy during my race on Saturday, but it was really no big deal at the track last night. "  That's so frustrating when it's like that, but it does serve to remind you, that you are capable of it, and that we sometimes just have bad days.  You're so gonna rock the 10 miler!

Jack-- enjoy your easy days.  Your race on Sunday will be such a blast.

Hey ya Miss D!!!!

Lauren-- it sounds like you're really getting there now.  You've really persevered.

Awood-- do you have good snow running shoes?  If you do it (and I'm sure you'll do fine) just be prepared not to PR and to be careful.

HsM-- I've looked at that thread too.  If you were closer, we could share one and split the cost!  Gosh I hate foam rolling, but sometimes, just really need it.  I hope, hope hope your weather does comply with your wishes this weekend!

Ginny-- to me a 200-400 person race is a big race.  I can't imagine doing the races everyone else around here does.  I'm glad you finally heard from someone from the race.  Do you know what you'll be doing for it?  Volunteering for races is so fun and rewarding.  Plus when i run, the volunteers truly make the race for us.  Maybe you'll be able to write us up a Volunteer Report.

Not doing a whole lot today.  Maybe some stationary biking and a couple of miles at most, if any.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I might pick up some sheet metal screws for my shoes.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

It's 86F and we're under a tornado watch. Hope I get my bike ride in.  If not, TM time.

I just drove by the hospital where I got my surgery and I remembered how I felt that week of the surgery.  No wonder people have been commenting I look radiant, happy, pain free.  THAT'S BECAUSE I AM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page