Beginners and Beyond

Thurday Penguins are Just Peachy (Read 19 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Every Ice cream should have it's day, and today is National Peach Ice Cream Day!

PADRunner

At 5:00 my mind said F'it.So I don't know if I'll run today or not. Might try to hit the TM after work for 3.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates at lunch and 10 miles tonight.

PAD, and that's why I can never be a morning runner.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!

Health club for me after my morning training class.  No run planned for us.

Have a great Thriday.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Quick phone check-in. After two days off, I went out and ran an easy five miles this morning at 5:15. It was already 88 degrees but only 15% humidity so even though I was hot, I barely broke a sweat. Strange sensation, that. I found a nice trail along the Colorado River and ran that. I also saw the most beautiful sunrise. Even though the desert is a harsh environment it sure makes for a nice sunrise. One more day and home tomorrow.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Not this Penguin...I don't like peaches.

Up for at 5 a.m. for the third day in a row, and did my 3rd morning run in a row.  Guess I'm getting used to this morning thing.   This morning my run was at Fort Sam Houston.  I started from the base gym, headed to the track and ran with some soldiers doing their PT, then diverted off the track, did a loop around a section of the base, then back onto the track for one more loop-around with the soldiers, and then back to the gym.  I was drenched in sweat because the temp was already 79 degrees when I started, 92% humidity and dew-point of 76, with rain threatening.  The air was thicker than the tongue of a politician doing a filibuster.   Ended up with 3.7 miles total, a nice-and-easy run/walk on very flat terrain to give my legs a break after all the hills I did yesterday.  I don't like running on tracks - bores me to death - but the Fort Sam Houston track is very different because of the way it's designed.  If you go around the track and take the first turn to the left, then you do a regular 1/4 mile loop. If you keep going straight on the track and take the 2nd turn, you end up doing a 1/2 mile loop.  And if you go all the way around the FULL Loop, taking neither the 1/4 mile nor 1/2 mile turnoff, then you go a mile around.  So by doing the full mile loop it kinda does not feel like you are on a track at all, running in circles.  Very nice!

PAD, good luck with your miles later if you decide to do any.  If not, then enjoy your rest day.

Happy pilates and miles, Damaris!

What kind of morning training class, Jerry?   Enjoy the health club!

Sounds like a nice run, Jack!  Yeah, low humidity is kinda nutso to run in.  Here in Texas when the temp in the PM gets up to 97 or so, the humidity stays around 45 - 50 percent, not too bad, so you kinda run in 'dry' air.   However, we have to keep an eye on the heat index cuz sometimes that puppy gets up to several degrees above 100 when our temps go up, in spite of the low humidity.  Could get dangerous.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Busy busy.. stressing about house purchase things, lots of stuff to do at work. Cutback week is going well, Tuesday's run was absolutely miserable so I guess I really needed a lower mileage week. Track workout this morning, after next week I won't be able to go regularly anymore so I'm enjoying it while I can :c I'm finally not the slowest one! All my intervals were under 8:00 pace today and I moved up a group Smile The workout was sets of 800/400/400 with a minute rest between each rep, the 800 at about 5k pace and the 400s 2-3 seconds faster. I did 2 full sets and one additional 800, 5.1 miles total with warmup and cooldown. On track for ~20 miles this week and then back up to (over?) 26ish next week.

SheCan

Morning Everyone!!!!!  

PAD-- enjoy your rest day.    I guess you can take take to read off your ample reading list.  I have read a number of those books, and particularly like East of Eden and The Jungle (though, it's very sad, and hard.)  Art of War is a simple little book that you might find yourself reading over and over again throughout your life.

Jerry-- have fun at the health club (gym?)

Jack- it might have been hot, but it does sound lovely.  Glad you were able to at least do one run while on your trip.

Scotty--- wow@ 79* so early in the morning. Maybe you should be getting up at 4:00 in the morning instead   So when they going to hire someone else to help out in your office?  Seems like you don't have nearly enough "play" time to come chat with us!

Lauren-- Holy cow, girl!  You're doing great with your running.   Congrats on moving up a speed group.   Moving to the new house is gonna be a lot of fun I'm sure.

I did 9 warm miles.  Wish I'd remembered to bring water with me, today, as it would have made the run much more pleasant.  Its nice to have to  jump over little gushing springs along the trail.  That doesn't happen most of the year.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Hey pens.  My run yesterday felt great.  Today everything was just a little bit harder.  I couldn't bring myself to run 10 on the TM, so I headed to the track and ran in the rain there instead.  The original plan was to start there, do a few miles, then head across town to the other park to do some more laps there, but in the end I didn't want to deal with the roads between the two parks, so I stayed.  It was a real slogfest, though.  The hot water at the house has gone from "pretty cold" to "freezing cold" because the circuit on the suicide shower head is broken.  Not sure I'll have any hot water available until Wednesday at the earliest.

PAD- Hope you get a run in later.

D- Great job on the pilates!  Enjoy the run later.

Jerry- Happy Thriday and enjoy the gym!

Jack- Now you can say "but it's a dry heat" and really mean it. Smile  Glad you're enjoying a little bit of time off between swim meets.

Scotty - That sounds like a good way to switch things up at the track to  keep things interesting.  I wish we had a track like that to run on!

Lauren- Nice job on those intervals!  I haven't sub-8 pace on mine in a while.

Cherie- Love those dancing penguins, and nice job on the run!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wish I'd remembered to bring water with me, today, as it would have made the run much more pleasant.  Its nice to have to  jump over little gushing springs along the trail.  That doesn't happen most of the year.

Cherie, you can't drink out of the gushing springs?

Nice running for you, Lauren!

Way to get out into the weather, Zelanie!   And...cold showers build character...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Cherie, you can't drink out of the gushing springs?

I suppose I could, Scotty, but I'm scared afterwards I'd be gushing out the backside.  I probably have watched too many episodes of  Monsters Inside of Me.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Zel, maybe you need another Hostel vacation and get some hot water.

Docket_Rocket

I suppose I could, Scotty, but I'm scared afterwards I'd be gushing out the backside.  I probably have watched too many episodes of  Monsters Inside of Me.

LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Zero for me today. I'm planning to get up early for the next 3 days, I need to try and make up a few miles.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Still no running for me :-(  Swam, stationary biked, and did the elliptical today.  Looking for a July 28th return to running.  My range of motion is slowly improving with the at home PT exercises.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)