Beginners and Beyond

Haven't Run In a Week... (Read 91 times)

Better I Leave

During last weekend's cold, wet, my hip decided to give me grief. I've decided not to run at all until I am completely pain free. I've been using my foam roller everyday and I'm just about there. Doing squats last night with no problem. I am still going to give it another couple of days and then reassess. This of course means I am "revamping" my goal of a sub 2 hour HM. I was hoping to make Oakland on the 24th of this month the race I do it in. Instead, I am going to use Oakland as a slow, "practice" run and shoot for Elk Grove the following 2 weeks.

I believe it is a better idea to fully recover and do PT than to push myself continuously with an aggravated hip and have it never get better. It's pissing me off and I'm chomping at the bit, but I need to allow myself time to recover, right?

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I believe it is a better idea to fully recover and do PT than to push myself continuously with an aggravated hip and have it never get better. It's pissing me off and I'm chomping at the bit, but I need to allow myself time to recover, right?

This forum is littered with people thinking "Damn, I wish I'd followed that advice!"

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I don't think I would be running right now if I didn't give my about a full month off running to focus on healing my IT Band and strengthening. I was impatient when it started and ran on it twice and made it so bad I walked with a limp for a few days. That is when I decided I needed to be patient and just let it heal and do rehab. Every person is different though, plenty of people run injured and finish marathons (though maybe not necessarily in their best interest in the long run many times). Only you know your body. Listen to it and try, as hard as it is, to make the decision that is best for your body and try to have that override what you WANT to do. I know, easier said than done!!!! I'm sorry for your nagging injury Dave. That really, really sucks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

This forum is littered with people thinking "Damn, I wish I'd followed that advice!"

+1!

You do what you've got to do, Dave. It's only running, not worth hurting yourself more over it. Sounds like you have a wise plan for yourself. Good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Correct.  I took 10 days off a year ago when my IT band flared up.  I wanted to run sooner but I laid off it.  That worked.

Of course, what I wouldn't give to be sidelined for only 10 days right now.  Joking

<3

Docket_Rocket

You're very wise for waiting.  Feel better soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

Thanks for the support folks. At first I was sweating it what with my next HM this month, but then I said to myself "What the hell am I saying! There's always another race so it ain't no big thang!"...Kinda what Lily said...."It's only running". I still feel strong, and I'm lifting without pain, but I want to give it more time before I run again. The foam roller is helping tremendously. Thanks again guys. Smile

Meanwhile, since you now have all this extra time on your hands, your culinary photography is being requested on another thread.

Dave

Better I Leave

Meanwhile, since you now have all this extra time on your hands, your culinary photography is being requested on another thread.

LOL! Thanks for the heads up Dave.