Beginners and Beyond

Plank Challenge (Read 138 times)

LRB

Ready, set....

Go!

Dude! You seriously need to get back to running!!

So are you doing arm or elbow planks?

Dave

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, we did a plank challenge on RWOL.  2008?  2009?  Someone got up to like 11 minutes.  Surprised  Toronto might remember.

Running is dumb.

Little Blue

Well, shoot, I missed day 1.  Might as well wait until December now. WinkRoll eyes

Hip Redux

Since I can already do a minute, I got a week before I really need to start.

happylily

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, we did a plank challenge on RWOL.  2008?  2009?  Someone got up to like 11 minutes.  Surprised  Toronto might remember.

I was part of that challenge. I got up to 5 minutes and some odd seconds and then I injured my groin. Badly. I had to cut in half my mileage for 6 weeks, while training for my first marathon, and I couldn't do speedwork. It was so painful I was crying at the gym. Now I stay away from planks like the pest.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MothAudio

I believe I was able to hold just over 4 or 5 minutes on my 1st attempt back then [RWOL challenge]. Maybe I'll try again after my run.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Just B.S.

Pass. That shits too hard.

MothAudio

I believe I was able to hold just over 4 or 5 minutes on my 1st attempt back then [RWOL challenge]. Maybe I'll try again after my run.

10:31.12 - 2nd attempt

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

Really????

LRB

Dude! You seriously need to get back to running!!

So are you doing arm or elbow planks?

Arms, and I am actually further along and doing it multiple times a day. This is one of the base movements for Pilates, something I am FINALLY going to incorporate into my training.

I am going to spend the month seeing how far I can get, and thought I would invite my running peeps to play along, if they are so inclined that is.  If not no biggie, just hold my glass of wine for me while I drop to the floor.

MothAudio

Really????

Yes. Ok, off for an easy 10.

Dude, seriously?? That is pretty amazing.

Now only another 2 hours 56 minutes or so for the record....

We do plenty of those in yoga, normally as part of a flow so not held, but sometimes we hold them for a while. I have no sense of how long a while is, other than I am certain time passes reeeealy slowly while holding a plank.

Dave

happylily

No, really... Planks, when well done, are REALLY hard. For someone to do 10:00 on a second attempt, you have to have a very strong core to begin with.

happylily

Mandy, I remember that guy Sandhog did an 11:00 plank and some other guy from another forum as well, his name escapes me now. Toronto was up to close to 4:00. I'm almost certain that I started having my mini-strokes when I began doing planks. I was also doing a push-up challenge at the time. Both are the worst things to do for someone with my condition at the time. I didn't know that it was happening, because I didn't know the signs. But I think that's what opened my PFO enough for the bigger stroke during my first marathon. I will still do push-ups, but I'm scared of planks, now.

EDIT: Moth, weren't you told by your doctors to avoid all types of valsalva maneuver? Maybe you should check first with them before starting this challenge. You haven't had any surgery to close the PFO yet, have you?