Beginners and Beyond

Military Can't March at Boston this Year (Read 111 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/military-cant-march-at-boston-this-year

I find it disappointing and if I was a soldier I'd be pissed, but what are your thoughts on this?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

#artbydmcbride

In most years there are 20 to 30 ruck marchers.    When registration for Tough Ruck closed on January 31, Tough Ruck had 746 registrants

So they have concocted their own little event that piggybacks on the marathon course during the Boston Marathon?  I am amazed they have been getting away with it for this long.  I say, run a race, qualify, pay your entry fee, then on race day if you want to dress up in uuniform and do the course with a 40 pound pack, go for it.  Of course now the pack should be clear plastic, so we can check it isn't a bomb.

Runners run

happylily

Being a mid-pack runner at Boston last year, I felt trap in a sea of people, on a narrow country road. There were times I was actually scared I would trip, especially in the first half, before we started losing runners to the hills. The reason I'm not going this year is because of the increase in the field. Anything they can do to reduce the number of people who are not supposed to be there in the first place is ok with me. If I were a soldier, I wouldn't be pissed, I would understand.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

There are some school ROTC groups out there also. They carry flags (school and/or US) which are also banned. I get maybe wanting them off the course as it wouldn't be hard to wear something similar. My guess why they are doing it is that anyone can theoretically wear a uniform and go on the course. I would rather have the military out there for all the right reasons plus extra security.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

This Boston Marathon thing sounds like a circus. Smile

- Andrew

happylily

This Boston Marathon thing sounds like a circus. Smile

Sacrilege!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

In all honesty, I'd run it if I could. Bucket list sort of thing. Chilling out in Hopkinton. Running by Wellesley. Heartbreak Hill (and the hills before it). The Citgo sign. Hopefully I make it there one year. Smile

- Andrew

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yes indeed, and plus some of them helped victims during the bombing last year. These men and women willingly put their lives on the line, or at least are willing to, they should be allowed to march rather than be punished for something they didn't do, but those are just my feelings.

There are some school ROTC groups out there also. They carry flags (school and/or US) which are also banned. I get maybe wanting them off the course as it wouldn't be hard to wear something similar. My guess why they are doing it is that anyone can theoretically wear a uniform and go on the course. I would rather have the military out there for all the right reasons plus extra security.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Someone needs to move the quote and modify button away from each other damn it.

PRs

LRB

Of course now the pack should be clear plastic, so we can check it isn't a bomb.

Ah yes, such is the life post terror attack.  I curse the name Richard Reid every time I have to take my shoes off at the airport, but other than that minor annoyance, we went on about our business after his failed attempt to bring down a plane.

One of the damming effects of terror attacks is that in their wake life changes, sometimes for the worse.  When that happens the terrorists have won.

Hopefully the changes the BAA is making is just a minor annoyance and we can go on about our business.  If however they institute a rule that clapping as runners go by is not allowed because it sounds like gun fire, then the terrorists will have won.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, what about those popping firework thingies?

Ah yes, such is the life post terror attack.  I curse the name Richard Reid every time I have to take my shoes off at the airport, but other than that minor annoyance, we went on about our business after his failed attempt to bring down a plane.

One of the damming effects of terror attacks is that in their wake life changes, sometimes for the worse.  When that happens the terrorists have won.

Hopefully the changes the BAA is making is just a minor annoyance and we can go on about our business.  If however they institute a rule that clapping as runners go by is not allowed because it sounds like gun fire, then the terrorists will have won.

PRs

Village people

Yes indeed, and plus some of them helped victims during the bombing last year. These men and women willingly put their lives on the line, or at least are willing to, they should be allowed to march rather than be punished for something they didn't do, but those are just my feelings.

We are all being punished for something we didn't do when we get on planes, go to sporting events... Why should this be any different?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

A plane, you'd have to get me drunk before I would ever step foot on one of those death traps  or my own parachute and my own giant window.

We are all being punished for something we didn't do when we get on planes, go to sporting events... Why should this be any different?

PRs

delicate flower

Good.  We need those troops to send to the Ukraine.

<3

RSX

Plenty of people are griping on RW about the various changes. I have a place to stash my bags when I finish without driving into Boston very early that day which was my only very minor concern.