Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Purple 5K Run/Walk to help stop Domestic Violence (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

My 58th race of 2014.  The Purple Run/Walk 5K supported the Women's and Children's Shelter of San Antonio and was an event for 'taking a stand against domestic violence.  Hosted by the Kristine Meza Foundation Family - you can read Kristine's story here:  http://www.thekristinemezafoundation.org/about-kmf   Dogs were welcomed to run also because, as the MC put it, family pets too are sometimes victims in a domestic violence situation.  Recently passed by the Texas Legislature, the “Pets in Protective Orders” bill, ensures domestic violence victims can seek needed help and shelter without fear that their companion animal will be harmed or taken away from them by the abuser. The law guarantees that judges can now include pets in protective orders along with the victim.  Nice! So several dogs were in attendance at this event too.  Lots of people wearing purple too, the color representing for this event taking a stand against domestic violence.  Event was held at Wheatley Heights, a local sports/events stadium.  8:30 a.m. start time.  Weather was really nice, low 70s around start time, low dewpoint and humidity.  For the 5K timed run/walk, there were 279 finishers.  There was also an untimed fun run/walk, which several folks did.     Participants finished by entering Wheatley Stadium and going around the track there to the finish line.   With about half the track to go, I came on a young lady - about 13 or 14 - who was walking, and I slowed a bit and encouraged her with "We can see the finish line now, and I'm an old man and I know you can beat me there, so let's go!"  And she did, off we went, running together and finishing together. I ended up with a chip time of 33:26, 4th in my age group (60 - 69) and only 11 seconds behind the 3rd place guy.  But that's okay, the big smile on that young's lady's face as we both finished strong was plenty of 'medal' for me.

BEFORE THE START

I arrived about 40 minutes before start time and just as the sun was coming up over the far end of the stadium.  I got a photo with a friend wearing the purple race shirt...as well as wearing the purple wristband that was in the goody bags of participants....and I had my own "purple attire" atop my head, to show my support for the cause....and hopefully I made a few people smile for a bit.

That wig hair was falling into my eyes a bit, I was always brushing it away from my face...I'll tell you what, I have new respect for ladies with a bit longer hair...I don't see how you ladies cope with it all day...I guess I'd make a lousy long-haired lady, lol.

The race timing guy from AthletGuild, a very good local area running company that did course set-up, etc.

Some of the volunteers out there for us

Lots of symbolic purple balloons around

And some of the  participants and supporters pre-start

The lady 2nd from the right is obviously an angel among us, as you can see her 'light' coming from her...

These folks are REALLY purple, thanks to the upcoming sunrise...

People gathered on the football field and then the RD formed them all up, making a purple bow, and then an aerial photograph was taken of them from above.

Work it, work it, looking good for the camera!    This lady has a great sense of humor, enjoyed meeting her.

Gathering at the start line..

National Anthem was sung, then a moment of silence...and then balloons were released into the air in memorium of victims of domestic violence.

ON THE COURSE

Course was around the track to start, out one of the fence gates, through the stadium parking lot for a bit, and then onto paved hike-and-bike trails that are part of San Antonio's greenway trails system.  Out-and-back course.  Really nice, shady trails along the greenway.

AFTER THE FINISH

Post-race breakfast tacos...

This little lady and I played "tag" for most of the course.  I'd take a walk break, she'd pass me...I'd catch back up to her.   The last half mile, she kicked in her "Running Mojo" and stayed ahead of me all the way to the end, finishing ahead of me quite handily....or should that be footily...

The speedy little lady with her running coach and running team-mates

And other "Happy Finishers'  et al....

Met this very nice guy - Roy, if I recall his name correctly; I am terrible with remembering names, so apologies if that is not it - and his dog, Scooby.  Hmm, how come I can remember the dog's name but not his..   We had a nice chat as we sat and ate breakfast tacos.  Scooby is one of the most mellow and relaxed dogs I have ever encountered.  Very friendly and well-behaved.

Roy and his daughter, who won  a medal in her age group

Roy and his family....

EPILOG

A very nice event for a very good cause.  Well organized, nice course, lots of friendly people, nice post-race goodies.  Definitely would do this one again.   Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc, all  the folks who made this happen and who were out there on race day for we participants.   Oh, and btw, I did NOT wear the wig when I was doing the race, that thing was a bit 'itchy', especially as it began to get warmer.   So I put it aside for the race.  Again, I don't see how you ladies with longer hair do it...hair brushing into my face, strands getting into my mouth, and probably 'bouncing hair" as I run...that would drive me crazy, lol.   I certainly have new respect for you ladies who deal with all that!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Congrats on another 2fer weekend. Great races & reports.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Are you sure the young lady wasn't running from you ???   

Love the smiles.

GinnyinPA

Love all the purple.  .I'm surprised you don't have a purple shirt too.

Yesterday when I was waiting for the race to start, I tucked my hair into the hole in my baseball cap.  Works pretty well, most of the time.  Well, they had someone singing the Star Spangled Banner and asked that we remove our hats.  I did, and didn't have time to put it back before the race started.  You're right, longer hair (but not long enough for a real pony tail) is a pain.  Wearing a wig while running would be worse though.  That would really be hot.