Beginners and Beyond

(UPDATED first post with results) From Beginners and Beyond to Professional Athlete??? (Read 138 times)

UPDATE:

I wrote last week on my Facebook page that it was either go big or go home. I guess I chose "go big". The last 8 miles were quite the test of my legs and will, but I managed to hang on with a PR of 2:48:21. I believe, unofficially, I was the 3rd place Minnesota resident master's (40 and over) runner in the "pro" race which may win me something if that winds up being true.

104 out of 8848 Total Finishers
    90 out of 4854 Males
    6 out of 465 Males in the M5054 Age Group

My age group (all in the masters championship - winner from Connecticut, 2nd place from Arizona, 4th and 5th from Michigan):

2:38:48  

2:39:01

2:40:14

2:46:41

2:47:30

2:48:21

So I better get busy...there are some fast old dudes out there! Here are the overall masters championship times:

2:22:26    49 year old

2:22:44    40 year old

2:24:54    43 year old

I'm not going to downplay it either...the VIP treatment was sweet. I will write up a RR because I'm not going to forget this marathon anytime soon.

Yeah...no, I don't really think so but I did receive a rather cool email this morning. Seems that for 50-54 men (I'll be 50 on race day) the qualifying time standard to be considered for the 2014 USA Masters Marathon Championship is 2:55. After Boston last month I sent an email with my race result and asked what is involved to be considered. And lo and behold this morning I found this in my inbox:

Congratulations on your Boston race.  Impressive.

Based on your race times, we will offer you a professional athlete entry into the 2014 USA Masters Marathon Championship at the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon.

Elite standards, prize money and current race details are posted online at the USA Masters Marathon Info Page.  This page will be updated as we complete and update plans for the Championship.

Entries will eventually be posted on the USATF Marathon Championship page.  

By registering as a professional athlete, you also receive the following: airport shuttle on Friday, Saturday and Sunday; separate bus to the start from the host hotel in St. Paul; access to the elite staging area at the start;  access to the elite tent at the finish;  hospitality suite at the host hotel; and your pasta dinner on Saturday night.

Please note the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon policy:

Drug Policy

Twin Cities In Motion (TCM) has a zero tolerance drug policy.

Athletes who participate in TCM events may be subject to drug testing conducted by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).  Athletes with positive drug test results will forfeit any prize money and will be disqualified from the TCM event in which such athlete participated. 

Athletes who previously have been suspended for violations of the drug policies of USA Track & Field (USATF) or the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) will not be invited to TCM events and are not eligible for an elite number or any financial assistance.

Athletes are eligible to participate in TCM events and win prize money if they meet the following criteria:

• Serve appropriate suspension time; and

• Complete all requirements and conditions for reinstatement by USATF or IAAF.   

USATF Anti-Doping

In August you will receive a packet via email, including the technical letter, detailing race plans and a weekend schedule.  If you have any questions before then, please don’t hesitate to get a hold of me.

We appreciate your interest in the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon and wish you all the best with your training and racing this summer.

Sincerely,

John

John McGillivary
    Masters Professional Athlete Recruiter
    Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon

happylily

Holy Molly, that is so cool! Congratulations, Fuzzy!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

That's pretty effin' awesome, Fuzzy.  You gonna do it?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Now that is SERIOUSLY cool! When is the race?  Congrats to you, Fuzzy. It is good to know that we have a real pro around here. Smile

That's pretty effin' awesome, Fuzzy.  You gonna do it?

I can't pass this up. Who knows if I will every have the chance again to experience a little bit of this. I have to admit I was pretty excited just to read the email.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Awesome Fuzzy. Smile

- Andrew

Now that is SERIOUSLY cool! When is the race?  Congrats to you, Fuzzy. It is good to know that we have a real pro around here. Smile

October 5.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Now we can all say we know an elite runner. I don't see how you could possibly pass up an opportunity like that. How's it feel to be treated like a celebrity?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I can't pass this up. Who knows if I will every have the chance again to experience a little bit of this. I have to admit I was pretty excited just to read the email.

I don't know how you could pass it up!  Congrats!!!

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

delicate flower

This is freakin' awesome!  Congratulations, Fuzzy!  Nice to see you're jumping all over this opportunity.  VIP treatment!

<3

PADRunner

Congrats!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Excellent!

You people have issues 

WOW! That is so cool.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Hot damn!  Will you remember us when you are all big and famous?  

Stay away from the poppy seed bagels prerace!!  lol