Beginners and Beyond

"Throwaway" clothes... (Read 131 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi. I am running in my first marathon on 8 Dec in Tucson. I have been reading that the weather in the mornings can be in the mid to upper 30s. I usually run in shorts, shirt, and cap but I know I will need to get some throwaway clothes to wear for at least the first few miles. I was thinking a beanie, gloves, and some kind of top to wear over my shirt? What would you recommend? Would a knit type beanie be ok to wear for a bit? Also, wear would I get them? I don't want to get brand new stuff because there is no guarantee that I will get them back. I have tried the thrift shops about town and have had no luck.  Thanks for any help.

LRB

I would not wear a hat under any circumstance while racing but I get extremely hot.  I will wear an ear wrap, but only when the temps are in the low 20's or below.

For my marathon last year it was 38 degrees at the start.  I waited in the corral for 45 minutes in Daisy Dukes shorts, arm sleeves, a throw-away jacket and gloves and was fine.

At around the mile 2 marker, I took the jacket off and threw it off to the side and into the air as high as I could and I never looked back.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I would not wear a hat under any circumstance while racing but I get extremely hot.  I will wear an ear wrap, but only when the temps are in the low 20's or below.

For my marathon last year it was 38 degrees at the start.  I waited in the corral for 45 minutes in Daisy Dukes shorts, arm sleeves, a throw-away jacket and gloves and was fine.

At around the mile 2 marker, I took the jacket off and threw it off to the side and into the air as high as I could and I never looked back.

Yes, but you a rough and rugged mid-westerner who is used to subarctic temperatures. I am a sissy from southern CA where if it gets below 63 people think the next ice age is coming.  Jokes aside, I see your point. I was also thinking of the ear wrap and I could just put it in a pocket when I warm up. Thanks, LRB.

LRB

I am a sissy from southern CA where if it gets below 63 people think the next ice age is coming. 

Too funny!  It's all about perspective though and we all are mindful of that.  What is the mean temperature for the area your race is in for that time of year?

Hip Redux

I had to buy throwaway clothes for my half in Phoenix because it was in the 30s before the sun came up.  I had good luck with Goodwill  - I was decked out with a warm-up suit that would rival Sue Sylvester from Glee.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LRB: The race website says it can be in the 30s at the start and the 60s at the finish. The start is at the base of some mountain at a higher elevation.

Oski: I have had ZERO luck at Goodwill and I might have to suck it up on race day.

StepbyStep-SH

Take your oldest, rattiest sweatshirt and cut the neckline about halfway down to make it easier to pull over your head. Do the same thing with the cuffs so you can pull it off over your watch/Garmin/Road ID. Ditch it the minute the horn blows. You can also turn old tube socks (or new ones from the dollar store - if you want really fancy, get black men's dress socks) into throw-away arm warmers. No tears over dropping them and never seeing them again.

Just make sure you put something warm in your drop bag at the gear check for after the race.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

B-Plus

I wore this at the start this weekend:

I tossed it a few minutes before the start, and then I tossed out my throw away arm warmers and gloves a couple miles in.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Never underestimate the warming powers of a 33 gallon garbage bag either.

RSX

Never underestimate the warming powers of a 33 gallon garbage bag either.

I wore a garbage bag in the poring rain once before a race. Unfortunately I couldn't run in it.

RSX

I'm running 26.2 on Sunday so I started thinking about throwaway clothes the other day. My wife went to some yard sales the other day, and before she left I told her to look for some throwaway stuff. I then found out that I have plenty of stuff to throw away already according to her. I bought an ear wrap a few years ago, but have never worn it so will keep that in mind.

You have plenty of time between now and December. If you see any yard sales, chances are you will find plenty of stuff you could wear. If you can't find something at a thrift shop, maybe you are being too picky. I won't be worrying about race photos before the start.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Take your oldest, rattiest sweatshirt and cut the neckline about halfway down to make it easier to pull over your head. Do the same thing with the cuffs so you can pull it off over your watch/Garmin/Road ID. Ditch it the minute the horn blows. You can also turn old tube socks (or new ones from the dollar store - if you want really fancy, get black men's dress socks) into throw-away arm warmers. No tears over dropping them and never seeing them again.

Just make sure you put something warm in your drop bag at the gear check for after the race.

That sounds like a great idea. See, I'm thinking that I would wear the throwaway things for a few miles or so and then toss them. After reading the replies, it sounds like I should ditch them at the start.

RSX: Actually, I'm not being picky at all. I could get a few things, but I really don't want to wear a 70's leisure suit or Hawaiian shirt to my first marathon. My second marathon, on the other hand...  Wink

Love the Half

My first marathon had temps of 28 degrees at the gun.  Here's what I wore.

Shorts and sleeveless tech shirt with light gloves as the first layer.

Long sleeve tech shirt as second layer.

$1 knit cap from Wal-Mart

$5 sweat shirt and $5 sweat pants from Wal Mart

I wore everything during my warm up.  Just before the gun, I tossed the sweat pants and the sweat shirt.  Amazingly enough, because this was a small race, they were both still there when I finished.  I wore the knit cap until about Mile 2 when I warmed up and then tossed it.  I wore the long sleeve tech shirt until it got a bit warmer and I think I tossed it around Mile 17.  It was about 40 when I finished and I was comfortable in shorts, sleeveless shirt, and gloves.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

hog4life

Little different distance, but my half in Feb, was 23 degrees at the start, then around 37 at the finish. I wore a long sleeve tech, then a short sleeve tech, shorts, and regular ball cap. My throwaway stuff was a cheap knit neck gator, LS cotton and SS cotton t-shirts, jersey gloves. I pitched the 2 cotton shirts before mile 2, then ditched the neck gaiter around mile 7. Then I threw the gloves around 10-11. Throwing the gloves was a bad decision, should have kept them. I have plenty of cotton t-shirts that I use for work, both short sleeve and long sleeve. Since you aren't having luck at the thrift store, what about the back of your closet? Wal Mart or Target should have long sleeve t-shirts for about $5-$6. If you have no luck, heck, I'll send you one. What size?

Huh, strange that your local thrift shop has nothing.

I can always find a hoodie and marvelously out of style warmup pants for $5-6 dollars total.  How about garage sales?