Beginners and Beyond

RR Ocala Half Marathon (Read 63 times)

andrew jerald

We headed over to Ocala yesterday to run the Ocala Half Marthon on sunday.  3 days before the race we was watching the news and noticed they found a body at the Mall where the race is being held.( We found that to be a little crazy) So we showed up to the race around 6:20, Did my mile warmup in the parking lot and watch the Marathoners take off at 7am. Just after that 7:15 our race started and I lined up pretty close to the front about the second row back. The race was very scenic and if you wasn't running up a hill you was running down a hill.

Mile 1: 7:03- A little fast but I was feeling good moving right long..

Mile 2: 7:11- Alright this is my pace a little slower, but still running good minor rolling hills but nothing bad. I was passing some marathoners by this mile.

Mile 3: 7:16- Alright Good pace starting  to hit hills, Trying to catch a few people but it seemed like they are walking away from me and Julia this other runner I was pacing with. Julia and I ran almost the hole race together until she left me at the end.

Mile 4: 7:37- Pretty big hill on this mile, I looked down at my legs a few times just because it felt like I was carrying bricks on my quads.

Mile 5: 7:10- Alright Trying to make up some time, taking advantage of the down hills.

Mile 6: 7:11- All down hill this mile so we are feeling good and making up time!

Mile 7: 7:11- Up hill with a down but feeling better!

Mile 8: 7:31- Gezz more hills, starting to wear on my physically, I never do hill training because we have no hills. This mile 1 runner past us and we didn't even try to hold on to him.

Mile 9: 7:27- Still trying to recover from the hills working pretty hard just to maintain pace.

Mile 10: 7:08- All down hill making up for the last few miles.

Mile 11: 7:27- More up hill but feeling ok, trying to get the 2nd place girl...

Mile 12: 7:02- Still pushing pretty hard gaining ground on the 2nd place girl.

Mile 13: 7:33- Strong up hill at the start of this mile and it kills me. My body tells me stop and for some reason I listen, I ended up walking about 30 secs. Alright I pick the pace back up and continue running but Julia have pulled away from me but I wasn't really racing her and nobody has pass me!

.14 About 1:15 I forgot to stop my watch after the finish line. Official time 1:35:34 beating my Pr by about 3 minutes! Finished 15th overall and 3rd in my a/g (25-29) The course was very hilly running around people farms and everything else. Roads were pretty rough but it didn't bother me much. I'm the guy in the blue shirt on the right in the bottom picture.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congrats on the great result in tough terrain. I bet it was really helpful having someone to run the bulk of the miles with you. Now that you know that "want to walk" feeling, you'll be able to push through it next time. Keep up the good work!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

hog4life

Congrats on the big PR!

Docket_Rocket

Awesome job!  At least you had a bit of a cold front this weekend (contrary to us), so that probably helped!  Great job and congrats on the award.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

Great job on the HM!

I was in Ocala this past Sunday through Wednesday-an aunt passed away and we went to her funeral.  My MIL lived there until her passing a few years ago so I'm quite familiar with the city.

I ran Route 200 south from Route 75, 3 mlies out and back.  :-)

Any John Travolta sitings?

Supersono99

Congrats! Nice AG award.

meaghansketch

Congrats on the big PR and the AG award!  Sounds like you ran a great race!

Anomalous

Awesome! Congratulations on the PR and AG!

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I just want to warn everybody that if I run a time like that, my entire RR will be with CAPS LOCK ON!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

andrew jerald

Thanks everyone! Damaris I really couldn't of asked for better weather it was slightly chilly at the start for me. Pragmaticrnner, I'm pretty sure I didn't see not one straight road while I was there. The wifes boss owns a hotel about 10mins south of there so we stayed on exit 341 about 10mins away.