Beginners and Beyond

Tanti Tuesday Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tanti:  "Worthwhile"..from the Latin....

So what are your plans for today?  Are they tanti?

AFM:  My worthwhile errand for today:  I will leave work a couple hours early to go get my annual skin cancer screening.  I had a bout of skin cancer several years ago and ever since then my Dermatologist schedules me for an annual screening to check me over as a preventative measure and catch anything early.  Seems to be working, I have had no recurrence.  After that appointment, it will be haircut time, and then off to the park to do a few miles in the 93 degree Texas weather.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

My "tanti" plan for the day is a 3-mile hill run.

Scotty - I hope your appointment goes well.  I had melanoma 11 years ago (luckily caught early) so I go in to the dermatologist at least once a year also.

Ugh, it's going to be a long summer here.  My 18yo son's start time at work just got moved up starting today, so he was up at 5.  Which means I was awake at 5:05 when he got into the shower.  I managed to doze for a while after that, but I think I just need to plan an early-to-bed, early-to-rise routine until he leaves for college in August!  At least I'll get some nice cool runs in.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Still hanging out and resting with the moon man boot.  Yesterday I managed to walk about 6k steps with it on.  I normally walk/run ~25k steps in an average day when I'm not injured.   I think I'm going to try swimming/water jogging with the aqua belt today.  I am a bit on the fence with it but I know I won't have time to do so tomorrow.  So I suppose it is either today or Thursday that I give it a go.

Scotty - good luck with the skin screening.  I have a strong family history of skin cancer so I should start doing those sooner or later - but I have zero moles on my body so I'm not super concerned yet.  If I develop a mole, then I'll get a screening.

DR - good luck with the 7 miles

Brilliant - as a morning person, I don't know what you're complaining about ;-)  Waking up early in the summer is the best.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Our gig last night went quite well -- they were pretty responsive for a retirement home group, and a good time was had by all.  45 minutes is a long time to sing, though!  I was definitely tired when I got home.  It turns out DH did W1D1 yesterday WITHOUT me, so I might have to catch up tonight.  Depends on the weather a little, though, they're calling for scattered storms.  I skipped my office yoga yesterday, though, and my body says I should do it today.  I think that makes my plans tanti!!

scotty -- have a good checkup, and you'll be so fast and cool with the fresh haircut!!

Docket -- have a good 7!!

Brilliant -- yeah, I need to talk to DH about switching to mornings, it's getting hot out there!!

sapf -- I enjoyed the pool while I was in the boot.  And since it was high summer, it wasn't too crowded, because most people were outdoors in pools, I guess.  I figure summer isn't such a bad time to be injured!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Hi everyone, I just finished a little over 6. Now me and DW are about to ride bikes fir a bit. Gotta get ready for that 45 mile ride this weekend, ya know!

PADRunner

Morning, gave the knees a rest and used the elliptical for 30 this morning. Might go to an open track meet tonight.

obiebyke

Morning. My 30 minutes went super well yesterday, but I definitely need to do extra foam rolling of my lower legs where they meet my calf. Ouch! RD for me, since I have a cat coming home from surgery #2. Unless I get motivated and do some body-weight resistance training.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: Be careful in the heat. Things are warming up here as well so I am getting out early for my runs. I just had a few things freeze dried off my cheek about two months ago. Now I always wear sunscreen, not like when we were kids.

D: When is the next marathon?

Brilliant: Enjoy the hills. Where is you son going to college? We have one at UCSD.

sapf: Good luck with the water training. SInce you are wearing a moon boot I think it would be appropriate for you and your husband to watch "Napoleon Dynamite" tonight.

HsM: Glad the gig went well. You need to get caught up to DH so do it!

Hog: Good stuff on the bike! You have been killing it! I think I see a mini- triathlon in your future. Smile

PAD: Have fun at the meet.

obie: Aren't those rollers painful? Oh man, once I had tears in my eyes. I wanted to stop so bad but my older DD was there going "You will not stop! You got this!" Cute kid.

As for me, I just finished 8 miles and 30 push-ups. I am trying to work on my core because I have always been bad about that. Push-ups, squats, etc. to get started.

Have a good day.

Docket_Rocket

San Francisco in July.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Hey penguins!

Sorry I haven't been around lately.  Was on vacation, and now have company until the 11th.  I've really had very little time to keep up with the thread.  I've ran some--- not a lot--- and when I got back to AZ it'd become soooooooooooo hot!  If I didn't have company, I'd probably try to get to the gym sometimes to do the TM, but waiting until the gym opens, then driving over & back would just isn't going to happen right now.  So supplementing my short, hot runs, w ith the stationary bike is about all I'm doing now,   I feel like such a loser right now compared to you all!    As you all can probably guess, this is off season for running in AZ.   Anyways, here's what's happened to my butt since I haven't been running much:

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Brilliant

sapf - Ha!  I consider myself a morning person.  But that means 6-6:30, not 5!  But I have a friend who runs at 5:45 and I just told her I can join her for the time being.

Cherie - you can run that off in no time. Wink

Jack - my son just finished a year at the local junior college.  When he realized he needed to apply to transfer next November, I think he panicked a bit (he was a young high school grad, and really doesn't know what direction he wants to go next). So he's headed off for a semester of Bible college in Hawaii for the fall!  Not sure about the spring yet, but we'll just consider this upcoming year his 'gap' year.  Meanwhile our daughter will be a senior at Biola.  BTW - I'm jealous of your kid at UCSD.  The first time I saw the campus, my jaw dropped.  People go to COLLEGE here??  We had nothing like that in Texas.

Docket_Rocket

That is so funny, Cherie!  Glad to see you back around!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Cherie - LOL at your picture!

I like waking up early in the spring/summer but had a hard time getting to sleep last night and couldn't drag myself out of bed when my alarm went off. Got in 6 very unpleasant miles a little after 10:00 - warm, sunny, no breakfast, so I was fairly miserable. I need to get better at moderating my pace for warmer weather, I think I'd have felt less awful if I'd gone out slower.