Beginners and Beyond

Well this was an interesting race day! (Read 118 times)

Love the Half

Ran in the Charleston Area YMCA Corporate Cup today as the University of Charleston is one of the teams in Group III.  Official time was 15:03.  (The course may have been just a touch short).    Then, I ran in the 100.  Finished 2nd and it hurt worse than I imagined.  There were 7 of us and I used the blocks just for the hell of it.  May have been a mistake as I was quickly in 5th.  I figured my endurance would help me and it did as I passed all but one guy who had left the rest of us in the dust.  I really want to know my time because if I ran faster than 15.6, I can say I'm faster than Galen Rupp.  (Of course, he runs at that speed for 5,000 meters rather than 100 meters but still.......)

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good job, LtH. The injury must be much better. I bet if I ran a 100 all out I would pull up lame.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, overall!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

I thought this was going to be your report on watching the Biggest Loser half marathon.....

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I thought this was going to be your report on watching the Biggest Loser half marathon.....

LOL!!

Nice job on the 15 minutes!!  (Am I correct in assuming 5K???.....I didn't see distance in the OP)

Speaking of 100's.......I cannot WAIT until Tyson Gay returns Thursday in the Diamond League!!!  PLEASE God, let there be fierce competition!!!!

Randy

LRB

Not sure what I could throw up in a 100, would not mind trying though...obviously.

What made you try the blocks?  I thought those things take a ton of practice to get right, no?

Love the Half

Sorry.  Yes.  It was allegedly a 5K but everyone's Garmin checked in at 2.4 miles.

At roughly Mile 2 on our course, I saw The Biggest Loser leaders and my immediate thought was, "I could win that race."  I was right.  The winner ran 1:43.  When I was jogging my cool down with a couple of local runners, we went back past that same point.  This was at Mile 3 of the BL course and before the hill I described.  We saw a lot, and I mean a lot of people seriously struggling already.  The guy who won our race ran his cool down along a different route and he saw folks just as they began to climb the hill I described.  He said most got a dejected look, quit running, and started walking.

Look, I applaud people getting out there and I'm not criticizing the folks who entered.  Hell, I entered my first half marathon woefully underprepared.  However, the organizers of that race could easily have made this a flat course by simply laying out a double loop.  That's not terribly exciting but it would have been so much better for those folks.  Oh.  And it was gawd awful humid this morning.

I tried the blocks just for the hell of it.  Seriously.  How many times does a 51 year old distance runner get to start out of the blocks?  I'm sure I got it horribly wrong but hell, I did it.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I'm sure I got it horribly wrong but hell, I did it.

You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen. 

MothAudio

Nice work Brad!    1:43 won the half!?! - that sucks.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Nice.

Any word on whether the half had hot dogs, beer, and pizza afterwards? Tongue

happylily

Nice.

Any word on whether the half had hot dogs, beer, and pizza afterwards? Tongue

And donuts and cupcakes. Don't forget the donuts for the biggest losers!

Congrats, LTH! Looks like you're back in action!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Hope your race didnt feel like this -

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Cool!

I hope you warmed up very well and are not too sore this morning. (Tomorrow might be worse)

yes, blocks take a crapload of practice and runners have different block setups that are specific to you.

When I did my 100, I was the only one not in blocks. They had a jump on me at the start, but I reeled have of them back in.

and yes, that shit hurts!

Will you be getting an official time?

Love the Half

Holy shit.  My left quad hurts like hell today.  Nothing so bad that I think I've pulled a muscle but I am shocked at how much it hurts and I thought I had warmed up extensively for the 100.  Then again, running a 5K earlier in the day probably didn't help.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

That, my friend is probably a result of the blocks.

Take it easy for a couple of days.