Beginners and Beyond

I'm Injured :( Now what? (Read 98 times)

As much as I hate to admit it, I think I need to take some time off and let my leg heal.  My runs are getting worse and slower.  I know it will take several weeks at least.  I had taken a week off last week and it didn't get any better.  It started out as shin splints.  I got new shoes and the left leg healed.  The right leg never did.  So now what do I do?  Can I still bike?  Can I walk? What can I do to make sure that I am still ready and trained for my marathon in November?  It sucks!  I feel like such a slacker not running!  Not to mention I'm worried about gaining weight and I have a high school reunion in 3 weeks I wanted to look fabulous for!!!

happylily

I'm in the same boat, but one thing I DO NOT want to do is whine about it and get depressed over it. I'm still healthy and can still be active other ways, so I still consider myself lucky. But yeah... not being able to run sucks, because that's what we most like doing, right?

I'd say whatever does not cause you pain is fair game. I have a heel injury and even walking for more than 10 minutes at a fast pace hurts at this point. But I can cycle no problem and also lift. So I've been doing a lot of that.

Good luck and chin up!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

You can't make sure that you are ready and trained for a marathon in November because you don't know how long you'll be out.  If you are out long enough, it won't matter how much you exercise; you won't be ready for a marathon.  Sorry but that's the way it is.  I had to DNS a planned marathon in November, 2011 because I was out for six weeks from mid-July to the end of August.  It was a good decision on my part.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

You can't make sure that you are ready and trained for a marathon in November because you don't know how long you'll be out.  If you are out long enough, it won't matter how much you exercise; you won't be ready for a marathon.  Sorry but that's the way it is.  I had to DNS a planned marathon in November, 2011 because I was out for six weeks from mid-July to the end of August.  It was a good decision on my part.

Yeah... As much as I don't like it, I agree with it. I'd say if you don't feel ready to run by Aug. 1st, then let go of that unecessary pressure that is the race.

Docket_Rocket

I am sorry to hear this, Misty.  Have the leg checked for any signs of a stress fracture before you decide upon the "how long" and "can I".  Hoping for the best!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Do cardio.  Cycling, elliptical, stair stepper.  Do really challenging workouts, every day.  I did all of that for about a month, while I rehabbed my knee (ITB) and it helped me get back into running faster, and in better shape, than I would have been able to if I'd just taken the time off completely.   Because I'd been going slow and easy while still trying to run with the injury, I was actually getting a better workout when I quit running and started the cardio.  But don't just stop running and hope it gets better, you need to get to work on fixing it, too.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

happylily

Kristin, is that you in your avatar? I don't recognize you. Smile

Docket_Rocket

She looks awesome!

Sorry for the hijack....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

She's always looked 17, but now she looks like a freakin' cool 17! Smile

It is.  And thank you!  You ladies are so great for my ego.  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Not quite right

I did a lot of elliptical when I took month plus off because of nagging injures. It's not the same as running but pretty dam close minus the pounding

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I am sorry to hear this, Misty.  Have the leg checked for any signs of a stress fracture before you decide upon the "how long" and "can I".  Hoping for the best!

Ditto this!!

Then consider swimming.

Do cardio.  Cycling, elliptical, stair stepper.  Do really challenging workouts, every day.  I did all of that for about a month, while I rehabbed my knee (ITB) and it helped me get back into running faster, and in better shape, than I would have been able to if I'd just taken the time off completely.   Because I'd been going slow and easy while still trying to run with the injury, I was actually getting a better workout when I quit running and started the cardio.  But don't just stop running and hope it gets better, you need to get to work on fixing it, too.

Good stuff, I will have to take this advice. I have just been a slug, and eating like I am still running.

MTA: And my October marathon is probably also out the window, but maybe too early to tell.

Dave