Beginners and Beyond

Monday's Daily Dose of Penguin (Read 23 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Quick 6 miles this morning.  It was cold.  I got a taste of where my easy pace would be if it were fall.  It's a little odd though, since it's August.

I'm trying to spend less time on the computer.  I feel like I need to be more productive in real life.  I'll still be here, but maybe just a little less.  Might cut back a bit on facebook.  A little here, and a little there.  I'm not going anywhere though.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hi Penguins.

I stayed away from the forums last week. My knee was botherin me so I wasn't running, and didn't want to think about it. I will try a short run tomorrow. In other news, my boyfriend randomly started running this week.....conversation of how he casually told me in my thread about the dog leash.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tracilynn

I understand the need to take breaks from the forums, social media stuff. Enjoy your break.

Kristin, hope the knee behaves

I did 4 miles last night.

I woke up early this morning and did another sunrise run 3.25mi with 1/2 mile on trails. The sky was a gorgeous pink purple orange

This afternoon doc appt for my 3yr

old twins. And prob some shotsDead and lots of tears(From me) ha.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles tonight.  It is not cold here and it will not be any time soon.  91F and 76DP at 7am.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning.  SRD for me.  Tonight I think I'll bake some zucchini bread and muffins to put in the freezer.

Bin Running

Morning guys...

Awood, take your time off computer if you need. I do enjoy your FB post though..

Kristin, hope the knee behave... Is it affecting your HM training?

Traci, hope the twins will get over the injection pain fast..

Damaris,  enjoy the 6M later..

Busy day at work.. in fact still in office @  915pm now.. 7M w/ 10 x 100 scheduled but dun think it is getting done.. Had a 16.8K race this Sunday.. Still not quite sure how I wanna run it..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Where did my post go?  I typed it, hit post, went to get coffee, and it was gone.  Must be Monday.

Hey everybody, I'm back! Smile

Did I mention that I hate treadmill running?  Running on a treadmill that's on a moving ship is even worse, altho it's a good exercise in balance. lol  Managed to still get some good mileage in, including a 12.4 mile run yesterday.  An hour and 40 minutes on the treadmill is enough to make you go insane.  If there was a tv it might have been better, but staring at a blank white wall sucks, even with music.  But that's life.  I'll do some miles later in the beautiful outdoors, soaking up some much needed sunshine after spending a week trapped in gray dreariness. lol

The wife and I keep saying we should spend less time online, but that's about all we do about it. lol

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Do y'all remember that quartet of newbies that I started singing with?  Well, I woke up on Friday night (Saturday morning?) about 1:45, and realized I had to stop singing with that quartet.  That was the tipping point for me of losing too much time with DH.  I really wanted my weekends back to spend with him, so on Sunday I told the newbie quartet that I couldn't sing with them any more.  They weren't too fussed, and they had another lead before we even finished rehearsing, so they're all good, and everybody wins.  Woo-hoo!!  Strength training today, arms.  Doing push-ups with your hands close together is not easy!

Awood -- woo-hoo for cold!!!

kristin -- sorry about your knee, but woo-hoo for BF!!

traci -- the sunrise sounds gorgeous!!

Docket -- cold is relative, right?  Good luck with your 6!!

Phillie -- funny, I only bake things to put in my tummy ....  Speaking of which, I got a chocolate cake mix and chocolate frosting mix from King Arthur Flour, and WOW!!!! is that stuff good!!!  And I had frosting left over after frosting my 24 incredible cupcakes!  I may never buy Duncan Hines crap again ...

Bin -- wow, that's a late day at the office!!

D2 -- Glad you got in some balance work!!  DH and I played putt-putt on a cruise once, that was hilarious!  No way you could be serious about that game ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Monday!  Today is August 5th.  Today's holidays are National Oyster Day (oysters..YUK!) and National Underwear Day!

Expand

Black Tie Tuxedo Briefs

Im Big In Japan Boxer Briefs

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Hopesmom, I remember the newbie quarlet..

Still stuck in office.. waiting for some database to be restart... Scotty pic made me feel much better..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - I noticed, and figured it had to do with the knee and not being able to run.  That's cool that your boyfriend is getting into running.  I don't have any advice on the leash, because nobody seems to like my usual recommendation.  If I want to go hands free, I just use a regular leash and a belt.  It's cheap and easy.  Any more though, I typically just hold it in my hand.

Traci - Good job on the miles.  Sounds like between the trails and the morning sky, your miles have been pretty pleasant.  I wouldn't call it a break, as much as a reduction in time spent...lol

Docket - I have mixed emotions about this strange weather.  The upside is that I can camping with my wife, and usually this month is ruled out for that.  She hates our typical August weather.  On the other hand, I was just getting used to that hot weather running.

Phillie - I'm growing zuch/squash hybrids.  I wonder if they work in bread.  I like slicing them and using them like lasagna noodles.

Bin - How did I miss that you're racing this Sunday?  Good luck whichever regardless of how you decide to run it.

Dave - My phone sometimes posts something, but doesn't really post it.  I don't know what's up with that.  I never thought about the treadmill moving.  That has to be interesting.  Now I know why they put those handrails on there.

HsM - It's weird how that happens.  Sometimes leaving a situation can feel liberating, especially when everybody takes it well.  I'm sure there will parts of it that you miss, but it sounds like you thought it through and made the decision that was best for you.

Scotty - The shellfish one got me.  There's some funny stuff there, but shellfish for some reason made me really laugh.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

SheCan

Morning Penguins!  Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Awood, cold?  Very odd, where are you at again?   Well, if you're gonna cut back on 'puter time, cut it off of FB.  We penguins need you!  Joking

kristin-- hope your knee is feeling better.  Wonderful that the BF is starting to run!  Nice, nice nice!

Tracilynn-- hope shot day for the kids goes better then you're expecting.  It's hard having little ones.  You always run so early, and have such self-discipline, even with little ones.  Thumbs up to you!

Docket-- ugh@ your weather today.  Does it ever get cold there though?

Margot-- Enjoy your rest day.  The zucchini bread sounds delicious!

Bin-- oh my at your late hours.  It'd certainly be understandable if you didn't feel like doing your run tonight.

Hi ya Dave!  Glad you survived the ship and even managed to get some miles in.

Hopesmom--- Its nice that you chose time with your DH over the quartet.  When you only have a limited amount of free time, you really do have to prioritize.

Scotty--- gotta say, I sure like underwear better then oysters (or sea boogers, hehehe!) .  So happy underwear day to you!

I didn't get out until well after 8 today, but it was still pretty nice,  so I did some hill repeats and ended up with 12 miles.  When I got home, I realized I'd had a 9:30 dentist appointment.  Oops!  Rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, the run sounds like more fun than the dentist anyway!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Not really.  Last time there were a couple of days in the 50s was 2005.  Then this year, we had a couple of days in the 40s.  That is it.  The rest is 75-95F...all year long.

Docket-- ugh@ your weather today.  Does it ever get cold there though?

Margot-- Enjoy your rest day.  The zucchini bread sounds delicious!

Bin-- oh my at your late hours.  It'd certainly be understandable if you didn't feel like doing your run tonight.

Hi ya Dave!  Glad you survived the ship and even managed to get some miles in.

Hopesmom--- Its nice that you chose time with your DH over the quartet.  When you only have a limited amount of free time, you really do have to prioritize.

Scotty--- gotta say, I sure like underwear better then oysters (or sea boogers, hehehe!) .  So happy underwear day to you!

I didn't get out until well after 8 today, but it was still pretty nice,  so I did some hill repeats and ended up with 12 miles.  When I got home, I realized I'd had a 9:30 dentist appointment.  Oops!  Rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page