Beginners and Beyond

Where are the Monday Morning Penguins? (Read 30 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

I guess everybody's trying to get back into the post-holiday groove.

Rainy but warmish.  Today would normally be a rest day, but thanks to the Streak, I'll do a couple of TM miles later.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Unfortunately, I am back at the office.  When the alarm sounded, I thought it was an error because it was Sunday!  Bah!

SRD but I might run some tonight if I feel like it.  Or not.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Just in shock. 80 yesterday 39 this morning.

URD probably need to rest the knees, but might do a few later.

tracilynn

Morning pengs

ginny,  its warnish here too.  I think doing the streak would be a lot easier if you had a treadmill cause you could just run in your pjs for 1 mile if you had too.

Damar, enjoy your RD congrats on your marathon.

I had bloodwork done last week for my physical. I've never done blood work before.  My cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL LDL vitamin D all that stuff came back GREAT but my FERRITIN level was very low. She said it was "iron storage" my level was a 10 and it needs to be around 30-40s. My HEMOGLOBIN CONCENTRATION was low also because of the low FERRITIN. I must start a daily iron supplement and retest. She said it would take several weeks to build up.  She said she was surprised I had enough energy to run. I'm not considered anemic based on some other numbers which were ok.

~~~~~~~

Traci

obiebyke

Hey guys.

Traci, you've never had bloodwork done before?  I hope the extra iron makes you feel better.

I'm planning on 25 minutes after work today. Current windchill is -7F. This'll be fun.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Second Maffetone run today. Did ~6 miles in 1:11 - ouch. At this point reality has set in and I'm a little bummed out about how much earlier I'm going to be getting up if I want to get in all my planned miles, but still kind of intrigued by the challenge of keeping my heart rate low enough while still running. I'm excited to see what this does for my races next year, though I think in a few weeks it's going to become a major test of my patience!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a doctor's appointment this morning, which is why I'm so late getting onto a computer.  It was a routine checkup, no worries, and then DH and I went out to breakfast.  I have a gig with my quartet tonight, which will be fun except that I got a tetanus booster, and now my right arm is beginning to be a little sore.  Oh well!  Lots to do now that I'm back at work from the little break, but not major stuff.  Just a lot of little things to take care of.

Ginny -- it's crazy warm here too!!  Wishing I could walk this evening, but the gig will prevent.  Oh well, at least I'll be singing for a couple of hours!!

Docket -- Sorry you got surprised by Monday!!  Enjoy whatever you decide to do tonight!!

PAD -- Hope your knees cooperate!!

traci -- I asked my doc to check for anemia too -- all the women in my family seem to have it, except me.  Don't know why I'm weird, but I keep an eye on it.

obie -- eek, -7??  Good luck!!

Lauren -- Yeah, Maffetone exercises the aerobic system and the humility system.  It's good for the soul and the body!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, there really aren't any penguins out and about today, are there?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Heading back to San Antonio tomorrow.  Hope the house-sitter had fun with all our cats.  Be nice to be back home.  Saw the weather report for San Antonio, a nice 66 degrees.  Woke up this morning in Wenatchee, it was flippin' 10 degrees and I had to scrape all the ice and stuff off off the windows of the rental car.  Reminded me why I SO do not like winter and live in San Antonio, lol.   Rest day from running for me today, will get in a run tomorrow night after we get back home to shake off some of the jet lag.

No back at the office for me, Damaris.  After we get home, I still have the rest of the week off.  I am going to have SO much catching up to do on email, etc, when I get back to the office next Monday!  Hope your legs, body, etc. are feeling okay after your marathon.  Side stitch gone away now?

Yeah, PAD, crazy dang Texas weather.  Still warmer than Washington State though!

Happy streaking, Ginny! I'd love to see you streak!    

Wow, Tracy, you've never had bloodwork done before?  Wait till you get to be my age, lol, it will become a regular thing.   Congrats on your results!

-7!  Good gosh, obiebyke!  Stay safe out there!

Good luck with your run, Lauren.  What's a 'maffetone' run?   Sounds like something from the Muppets.

Well, HsM, I guess it's a good thing you don't sing with your right arm.   Have fun at chorus.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Wow, there really aren't any penguins out and about today, are there?

I am here but working.  And it's Monday. Bleh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I was up and posting this morning in other threads, but I'm a bit too shy to start the Pens thread =D

Did 4 easy today.  I also bit the bullet and ordered a GPS running watch.  I was looking into the FR220 (for the battery life) or the FR15 (for the activity tracking) and found the polar M400 which has both the necessary battery life and activity tracking capabilities.  I figure that having activity tracking is good for when I'm injured, which seems to be something that happens to me relatively often ;-)  This way it won't collect dust.

DR - take the day off, you did run a marathon yesterday right?

Ginny - how's the streak going?

PAD - I guess you need to have both your winter and summer wardrobe ready?

traci - hopefully you'll feel like superwoman with iron!

obie - ouch good luck with the -7

Lauren - some of us are that slow even with out maffetone to slow us down ;-)

HsM - enjoy your rehearsal tonight

Scotty - good luck on your travels!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

I am here but working.  And it's Monday. Bleh.

Well, yeah, there is that!

Singer who runs a smidge

Waiting impatiently for my tech to leave so I can get dressed for my gig!

Docket_Rocket

Waiting impatiently for my tech to leave so I can get dressed for my gig!

Last thing you want is get dressed and someone opening the door, oops.

Damaris

Fundraising Page