Beginners and Beyond

Rita Jeptoo - two year ban (Read 60 times)

Hip Redux

Penalty for the September drug test fail.

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/12252671/boston-marathon-chicago-marathon-champ-rita-jeptoo-banned-2-years-doping

Enough? Not enough?  What do you think?   Will her wins stand?

RSX

Penalty for the September drug test fail.

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/12252671/boston-marathon-chicago-marathon-champ-rita-jeptoo-banned-2-years-doping

Enough? Not enough?  What do you think?   Will her wins stand?

More importantly maybe I moved up 1 place when I ran Boston last year. I have my fingers crossed that they DQ her eventually.

Docket_Rocket

I think this was too lenient.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

+ a billion

Cyberic

LRB

Shalane didn't hold back:

"My stance on anyone caught cheating or doping is that they should receive a lifetime ban," Flanagan told ESPN. "Studies have shown that someone who's tested positive for something like EPO, which Rita apparently has used, have benefits that go beyond just the usage. If she used EPO for a number of years, she was able to train at a much higher level during those years.

"Those benefits can be reaped for years to come. Let's say she doped from 2011 to 2014, the benefits of training on those drugs will extend for another four years. In my mind, I'm happy that she's banned for two years, and I'm happy we caught her in the act. At the same time, I don't feel like it's completely settled. I feel a little uneasy about it because she can come back, train during those two years and still reap the benefits of those drugs."

LRB

Reading between the lines she's gonna have to pay all that money back. Home girl is through.

happylily

More importantly maybe I moved up 1 place when I ran Boston last year. I have my fingers crossed that they DQ her eventually.

LOL...

I have no personal opinion on whether it is the appropriate punishment or not. But it is one more reason why I'm not really interested in all these sports professionals' accomplishments and records.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Shalane didn't hold back:

"My stance on anyone caught cheating or doping is that they should receive a lifetime ban," Flanagan told ESPN. "Studies have shown that someone who's tested positive for something like EPO, which Rita apparently has used, have benefits that go beyond just the usage. If she used EPO for a number of years, she was able to train at a much higher level during those years.

"Those benefits can be reaped for years to come. Let's say she doped from 2011 to 2014, the benefits of training on those drugs will extend for another four years. In my mind, I'm happy that she's banned for two years, and I'm happy we caught her in the act. At the same time, I don't feel like it's completely settled. I feel a little uneasy about it because she can come back, train during those two years and still reap the benefits of those drugs."

It's a fair point.  But on the other hand, should the first violation be an automatic lifetime ban?  That seems harsh at first thought because some violations are for alcohol or cocaine - illegal, but not necessarily performance enhancing.   So it would need some gray areas, I would imagine?

I did look at the banned list and hashish is also on it.  

Docket_Rocket

Depending on the violation but this one? I think it should have been a lifetime ban. Or at the least, a lifetime ban with a chance to come back.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Right, it would have to be depending on the situation, but they don't have that option on the table at all at the moment - two years is the max for a first violation.

Cyberic

Agree with Oski.

She got the max, so that's that, and also, they should treat performance enhancing drugs like EPO differently than love enhancing drugs like ecstasy and pot 

Hip Redux

And my comment was really in response to Shalane's notion that "anyone caught" should be automatic lifetime ban.   There's some variation in what a violation means and so I don't think you can just say - you violate, you're out.

I don't follow the sport, but a lifetime ban for anything sounds harsh, unless it is a repeat/chronic offender. Two years will certainly result in a significant loss of income, as well as the punishment of just being 2 years older when coming back.

I always assume virtually everyone's doing it anyway, and just some people are getting caught. Maybe Shalane is clean and is justified getting on her high horse, but no way to tell for sure. Her current sense of outrage is no different than statements we've heard from many other athletes, until the moment that they were caught.

Dave

No more marathons

I don't follow the sport, but a lifetime ban for anything sounds harsh, unless it is a repeat/chronic offender. Two years will certainly result in a significant loss of income, as well as the punishment of just being 2 years older when coming back.

I always assume virtually everyone's doing it anyway, and just some people are getting caught. Maybe Shalane is clean and is justified getting on her high horse, but no way to tell for sure. Her current sense of outrage is no different than statements we've heard from many other athletes, until the moment that they were caught.

I go the other way - innocent until evidence to the contrary.

Wonder if the major marathons would have any latitude after the two years to say "sorry, you're not welcomed".  Of course, they could at a minimum not offer any appearance money.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!