Beginners and Beyond

Question of the DAILIES (Read 47 times)

LRB

What ever happened to the sweet strawberry?  I swear the last time I had one I was a damn kid.  No matter how red they are anymore they seem to be tart, or maybe it's me.

Anyhoo, what's up wit 'cha?  I am gearing up for a short run before heading in to finish up what has been a very busy week at work.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Good question Rick, we had some pretty good batches last year that were great right out of the container, but most needed a lil sweetening.  I love strawberries, well, any berry really, love 'em all. Smile  One of the mainstays of my lunch is a few cups of berries.  Have a good run!

AFM, 7 easy miles done this morning.  Lil humid, but pretty much perfect, mid 60s, slight breeze, love it!  Have a 5k tomorrow, decided not to do any kind of taper, because I want to maintain my mileage and consistency.  Should be interesting, this will be the first race I've run without doing my normal prep.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

on my way to badass

Morning! Strawberries must be picked by you in June at 85F with a dew point of about 70. You must suffer for your berries. They should not be grown by mega farms in far off places.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

delicate flower

HOORAY FRIDAY!  And a happy good morning to everyone!  It's raining pretty good this morning.  Wife still ran outside this morning...what a trooper.  I'm looking at a treadmill this afternoon.  Speaking of running, I did 7 easy last night.  How long does it normally take to start "feeling" the taper?  Because my legs are finally starting to feel less tired than they have been lately, and a naggy IT band is settling down.

I stayed up a little late watching the NFL draft last night, which means this is going to be a two coffee morning.

<3

Happy Friday people.

First morning of the year when it sorta feels like summer may be approaching. For better or worse.

Office 2013 is getting installed on all our computers at work today. So I'm looking forward to tremedous productivity.

6 miles easy.

Dave

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Morning. Urd yesterday. Got another big blood blister on my toe so I ordered a different shoe. I will keep these shoes for shorter distances.

Marjorie

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Floccinaucinihilipilification: The act of estimating something to be worthless.

Pronounced:  flok-suh-naw-suh-nahy-hil-uh-pil-uh-fi-kay-shuhn

Which is what I did yesterday for the 'so-called' rain storms we had. Pathetic.  We need rain really badly here in San Antonio and yesterday's forecast called for 70% rain.  It may have happened somewhere in our area but where I was, it was pathetic; came down for about 15 minutes and then just stopped.  So I estimated that rain to be totally worthless.

It also did happen right when I was about at the half-way point of my run/walk so I got a really nice soaking.  This was not a good rain either, it was quite a warm rain and after it stopped it only made things even more humid.  I was in the park on some trails and could see the 'steam' rising from the plants, etc., post-rain because of the humidity, it was like running in a hot-house.  Heck, I think even a part of my soaked running shirt was steaming a bit between me sweating like crazy and the humidity and the temp being a nice 88 degrees, with a dewpoint in the 70s, gaaack.  Never-the-less, I managed to get in 5K distance and I did feel pretty strong on for my whole run/walk, which was nice.

Funny at one point, though.  This park is quite near Fort Sam Houston.   As I was going down one trail, I heard the music from the military base playing retreat. So being 'conditioned' after 24 years of military service, I stopped, faced the music, put my hand on my heart, and waited for it to finish.  While I was standing there, a park police guy came by, saw me with my hand on my heart and asked if I was having chest pains. 

Rest day today and tomorrow I have a 5K in the morning.  My 29th race of 2014.   I am also leaving work early today for a dentist appointment.  Not looking forward to it cuz I think I may have a cavity in my back tooth.  Well, at my age, I guess I just be happy to still have teeth.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

StepbyStep-SH

8.64 miles this morning, half with the group. Slow and easy.

Strawberries are sweet IF they are allowed to ripen in the field, then picked and eaten within a couple of days. This means that those of us in the upper Midwest have a window of about two weeks in late June to get really, truly good strawberries.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Hip Redux

One week post surgery!  Feeling excited about my check up with the doctor because I think things are going really well so far.

delicate flower

It also did happen right when I was about at the half-way point of my run/walk so I got a really nice soaking.  This was not a good rain either, it was quite a warm rain and after it stopped it only made things even more humid.  I was in the park on some trails and could see the 'steam' rising from the plants, etc., post-rain because of the humidity, it was like running in a hot-house.  Heck, I think even a part of my soaked running shirt was steaming a bit between me sweating like crazy and the humidity and the temp being a nice 88 degrees, with a dewpoint in the 70s, gaaack.  Never-the-less, I managed to get in 5K distance and I did feel pretty strong on for my whole run/walk, which was nice.

Right now, I think I would enjoy this.  I could go for a nice, warm, sweaty run.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I don't like strawberries at all.  If I was in a  starving 'life-or-death' situation, I may eat a strawberry but other than that, no.  Which is kind of ironic because my favorite flavor ice cream is strawberry.   Hope your miles went well, Rick!

Good luck with your 5K tomorrow, Super Dave!

StoneFence,  all strawberries should be turned into ice cream. THEN I will eat them that way....which counts as 1 serving of fruit, right? 

Darn you, Baboon, you got our rain! 

If your summer turns out to be like ours here in Texas, DaveP, you may regret that first morning of the year when it feels like summer coming.  It is damn hot here.  Even for me and I like hot weather running.

Sorry about the blister, Marjorie.  Get some 'second skin', good stuff.

Congrats on your miles, Step.  Hope you had good miles and enjoyed running with the group.

Glad things are going well for you, Oski!  Hope you have a very speedy recovery!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Glad things are going well O.

We had strawberries in our garden when I was a kid, and now that I think of it, they did seem sweeter back then.

Heading out for about 7.

LRB

Morning! Strawberries must be picked by you in June at 85F with a dew point of about 70.

Look at you go girl!

Great news O!

Scotty, it seems as if you do not like anything we talk about here.  Ever!  lol

D2, I have had great results racing within my normal mileage week, I do not taper much but am considering it for a couple of special events this season.

Hi Marj. hopefully you don't need to order another toe!

Nice run Step!

Enjoy your 7 BP!

'Sup DP!

Boon ugh, you can keep that warm sweaty run crap.

Speaking of that, for the first time this year I felt warm during a run this morning.  I am not looking forward to summer running at all.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning! 3 Easy miles on the TM this morning. The last run before my race tomorrow.

I volunteered yesterday at the 5k packet pickup for 5 hours. It was a good time. The time flew by because of the volume of people that we had. Even though I wasn't the 'leader' in the tent, I did become one because:

1. I'm a seasoned runner, so I speak the language.

2. I'm young so I can move fast and think fast.

3. I'm willing to find out answers to questions that need clarifications. It's better than sitting in a tent for 5 hours without an answer when all you need to do is ask someone.

Afterwards I picked up my packet, and the one for my mom (she's walking the 5k tonight). Then I toured the expo, and got a lot of free supplement goodies from one of the expo's big vendors. I wanted to actually buy Dick Beardsley's book, but he wasn't there yet. He's a guest speaker tonight, so maybe he'll be around selling it. Overall, I fully enjoyed my volunteer time and recommend it to anyone, especially other runners.

- Andrew

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Good luck to all racing tomorrow!!  (Scotty's 29th in 2014.....are you kidding me?) 

Ya, here in So Cal we could really use some rain too.  We had (literally) about a 5 minute downfall and not even heavy at that, on Monday.  Pretty pathetic.

And, yes, Rick.......sweet strawberries are VERY hard to come by anymore.  Nobody cares to do them right anymore.  BUT....I can say that there are a few strawberry patches around here that still do it right *some* of the time.  Or, that Shari's Berries does a pretty good job of getting good strawberries to dip in chocolate, but they're a little expensive, of course.

(shrug)

Randy