Beginners and Beyond

MONDAILIES: It's Going to Be a Four-Cup Day (Read 49 times)

Good morning, people.

I'm off to the gym to serve time on the TM. How fast? How long? I have no idea. I'll do weights, push-ups, and ab work after work.

Yo.

I am up way too early for no good reason. Not even running today. Planning to go to yoga before work.

actually pretty nice out right now, but temps dropping throughout the day, and we're going sub-zero tomorrow. And unfortunately I don't mean we're shopping for fancy refrigerators.

Have a good day all, hope some of you lucky bastards get to stay home from work today.

Dave

DaveP MI, enjoy yoga.

Cr@p. It's MLK Day. The T isn't running on a weekday schedule. I had to seriously cut my run short. Only two miles in 19:38. 9:49 pace. Feh. I have to move cardio to tomorrow, so that I may do at least an hour on the TM tonight.

</grumbling>

happylily

Basya, sorry about the change in your schedule. And you're working as well? Not fair...

David, enjoy the rest day (sorry it has to be a work day too). You had a great running week last week. You deserve the rest!

I have 6 at recovery according to the plan, but since I don't much like running 7 days a week, I may skip the run entirely, or just do 3 or 4 miles. I also have push-up day, but not sure what day I'm on on the challenge. John, what are we doing, push-up buddy?

Have a great day off, those of you who are lucky, and a great work day for the unlucky ones!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Lily, I love my job, so, I have no complaints about working. Today's public transportation schedule is the only thing that's ing me.

i just realized that, except for a small salad, I haven't eaten anything since 11:45 yesterday morning. Oops.

Time for coffee number two. It's a big 'un.

StepbyStep-SH

Morning, friends!

Basya - Hope you have something with some calories to put in that coffee. You gotta eat, girl!
              Lily - Enjoy the recovery miles (or not).
              Dave - Have a good yoga class!

SRD for me to start taper/race week. Massage this afternoon, kyukido class tonight.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Supp!

I am off today but do not consider myself lucky.  It would be dumb luck if anything as we have no control over what paid holidays we get, they are what they are.

MLK Day will never get the recognition that was intended and thus sometimes I have worked on it, and others I have had it off.

I am not running today but will get some core and strength work in whenever I decide to get up, the time of which has not been determined.

Dave, I do not ever remember seeing so many zeroes in a single season, and the season is still not 30 days old yet!

B if you move to Michigan you go when you want to go.  Hopefully the day ends in your favor.

Lily, you take a day off from running is a like a bird taking a day off from singing.  lol  have a nice recovery run!

Shari walk on egg shells in class tonight, this is a very important week ya know.  ;-)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Rest day. Pilates later.

From yesterday, LRB you can do it with the longer runs and fuel. I've done 20 and more with just water and not even breakfast before (Hatfield and McCoy I didn't eat until finish line so the full 26.2 with just some oatmeal and banana several hours before the race). It does take practice. Mine was necessary because of GI but it can be done.  Even the water I use sparingly determining when I really need it.

Marjorie

LRB

LRB you can do it with the longer runs and fuel.

I agree, I left my home emptied handed in September for a 20 mile long run.  I stopped at a store at mile 10 and drank 8 ounces of orange juice, then stopped at another at mile 16 where I took half of a GU and drank about 10 ounces of water.  That was it, yet I maintained my splits throughout.

01-8:58

02-8:48

03-8:45

04-8:38

05-8:40

06-8:46

07-8:40

08-8:38

09-8:36

10-8:38

11-8:42

12-8:35

13-8:43

14-8:46

15-8:45

16-8:46

17-8:38

18-8:47

19-8:45

20-8:44

delicate flower

'Morning, folks!  Company holiday today, yet I am here at work.  Busy busy busy.  I'll only work a half day, but with nobody here I'll get a full day's work done.  Costco trip and a run planned for this afternoon.

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Supp!

I am off today but do not consider myself lucky.  It would be dumb luck if anything as we have no control over what paid holidays we get, they are what they are.

MLK Day will never get the recognition that was intended and thus sometimes I have worked on it, and others I have had it off.

I am not running today but will get some core and strength work in whenever I decide to get up, the time of which has not been determined.

Dave, I do not ever remember seeing so many zeroes in a single season, and the season is still not 30 days old yet!

B if you move to Michigan you go when you want to go.  Hopefully the day ends in your favor.

Lily, you take a day off from running is a like a bird taking a day off from singing.  lol  have a nice recovery run!

Shari walk on egg shells in class tonight, this is a very important week ya know.  ;-)

Yes, sir! I already last week turned down the offer to try to break a board with a kick, because I knew I would probably break my foot instead.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Happy Monday all! Rocky and I got a 5 miler in this morning before dawn, it was a little sore for the first 2 miles or so but not bad. I am going to try and stretch use the foam roller today, along with some ab exercises.

I am not off today, and quite frankly I hate these holidays due to the stupid post office being closed......... I have customers' packages waiting to go out and those won't go until tomorrow  this sucks.

LRB - to your response in the Sundailies thread, I am working on lasting longer without any kind of gu or fuel except for maybe gatorade or water. I do have a problem eating, especially on the nights before my LRs so around mile 7 or 8 I can sometimes find myself freaking starving but yesterday the 3 sips of gatorade around mile 6 or 7 did help a lot with holding off the hunger pains. I did okay yesterday with the gu at mile 11.3 so we'll see if the same goes for next Sunday. I'd like to push it to 2hrs-2.5hrs before needing gu or any other kind of fuel while sipping gatorade or water when needed (probably a lot during summer).

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I was thinking the same thing! Step going to her karate class (or whatever it is) is like Baboon going skiing - makes us all nervous as hell! Running injuries are OK, non-running injuries are unacceptable!

From yesterday, LRB you can do it with the longer runs and fuel. I've done 20 and more with just water and not even breakfast before (Hatfield and McCoy I didn't eat until finish line so the full 26.2 with just some oatmeal and banana several hours before the race). It does take practice. Mine was necessary because of GI but it can be done.  Even the water I use sparingly determining when I really need it.

I really haven't been using anything so far this winter, although I suppose you can get away with more easily in the cold. My last 4 Sundays have been 17,16,18,16, and I never took any water or fuel with me. I do eat a good breakfast when I get up, then go out ~1.5-2 hrs later, so I figure I should have enough fuel still in my system. Sometimes I will drink a little water before I go out, but more often I have put no liquid in my system other than 3 cups of coffee. For me it's more out of laziness, since I don't like to carry anything with me, and I figure I haven't died yet. I think my splits have stayed pretty steady, I will have to check, but in fact usually I try to pick it up a bit at the end.

When it's warm out I try to plant a water bottle on the route for anything over 14-15; if it's a 20-miler I will take a gu.

Dave

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I was thinking the same thing! Step going to her karate class (or whatever it is) is like Baboon going skiing - makes us all nervous as hell! Running injuries are OK, non-running injuries are unacceptable!

Hear hear! Just say NO to non-running injuries. Smile

Good morning everyone. I had an Easy 6 on the TM this morning. Fortunately this week is a bit of a cut back week. It seems I need it. My feet of all things have been giving me fits since I started this Marathon training plan a few weeks ago. It's always something. Left foot, right foot, Achilles - you name it. I just hope it's nothing major, because I don't want to be sidelined for my hometown marathon in May.

I do work today. 8 hours of my life to pay the man. Tonight I have story our with DD. It's her first time with the bigger kids. It's the 19 month - 36 month old bunch. Hopefully she has a good time. Smile I think she might have contracted something like Giardiasis during swimming last week, so I might have to bring her in to get treated for it. We'll see how things go for her today. She seems to be more whiny and doesn't have her normal appetite. DW had a good point - your children do these activities and they only end up sick. It is disheartening as a parent.

Have a great day everyone.

- Andrew

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I really haven't been using anything so far this winter, although I suppose you can get away with more easily in the cold. My last 4 Sundays have been 17,16,18,16, and I never took any water or fuel with me. I do eat a good breakfast when I get up, then go out ~1.5-2 hrs later, so I figure I should have enough fuel still in my system. Sometimes I will drink a little water before I go out, but more often I have put no liquid in my system other than 3 cups of coffee. For me it's more out of laziness, since I don't like to carry anything with me, and I figure I haven't died yet. I think my splits have stayed pretty steady, I will have to check, but in fact usually I try to pick it up a bit at the end.

When it's warm out I try to plant a water bottle on the route for anything over 14-15; if it's a 20-miler I will take a gu.

I'm actually on board with training the body to run on less as well, and routinely do most of my running without anything. I paid more attention to fueling on my long run yesterday, but only because it was followed by a medium long run. Mostly, what I was trying to bring up with Free Soul yesterday is that a GU so late in the run is unlikely to have more than a mental effect.

Recovery run for me today...not sure if it will be on the trail with friends or just solo road yet.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn