Beginners and Beyond

Luke's Autism 5k RR **Updated with video** (Read 69 times)

Luke79

In pursuit of my sub 25:00, I ran a 25:15 this morning (A PR by 6 seconds).  Here are the splits.

mile 1 - 7:54

mile 2 - 7:27

mile 3 - 9:13

This was a very small race (only 22 people) because there was a more popular race being held at the same time.  I came in 4th overall lol, 1st AG (there were no awards, or even chip timing).

I was actually in the lead at first and 2 females quickly passed me.  This guy passed me soon after and I stayed with him most of the race.  I felt like we were running a pretty steady pace, but apparently we both slowed down a lot on the last mile.  He pulled away towards the end, and I had no answer due to the fact that I was gasping for air.

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but allergies have been kicking my ass the last few days.  I have a cough and runny nose and all that good stuff, so maybe that contributed to me gassing out?  I hope so.  I want my sub 25 dammit..just because it's so elusive at this point.  I just need to execute properly on that last mile.

Check it out, here's my fat ass on video.  I'm at 0:12, 0:24 (warming up w/ hoody) and 0:43.  Don't ask what I'm doing there, but some sort of nervous gesture lol.

http://arklatexhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=314922

LRB

Crap, looks like that second mile killed you.

When racing, you have to know when to drop your opponent.  Be it they are running too slow, or too fast.  Otherwise, you may get lulled into a false sense of comfortableness, only to realize too late that you are either too far behind, or too far ahead.

In either event, hope you feel better so you can get right back at it!

Hip Redux

Hey, congrats on the AG!!  A mere 15 seconds... you'll get there Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats on the AG and the PR!  You probably gassed out because you started too fast for the way you were feeling today.  Those allergies and cough can limit your breathing capacity.  But I"m sure you would've not gassed out that much if you were breathing better.  No worries.  Some days are like that.  If it were easy, we would all be winning!

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, what a small race!  I think we had that many at my group run this morning.  Anyway, sorry about the fade.  It's not an excuse if your breathing was affected as that can really make a difference.  Still, it must have been fun running near the front like that.  You've obviously got the speed in you.  Just a little more time on that aerobic engine and you'll be holding that in 10k races.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

So close to that sub-25.  Yeah, it looks like you shot out a little too fast to fade like that.  Hey, the 5K is a tough animal to figure out.

<3

MrNamtor

Congrats on the pr luke.  My personal theory is you run your own race and ignore every one else though I have no evidence that doing that makes you either faster or slower but my feeling is it helps t ou avoid pacing issues.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Congrats on the PR.  Your splits are bit uneven - sounds like you laid it all out there the first 2 miles.

You've still beat my PR by 10 seconds! Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

happylily

Your first two miles were awesome! If you're not feeling 100% due to allergies, that would certainly affect your third mile. Go run another 5k on an allergy free day, you will crush this PR! Congratulations, Luke!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Luke79

Thanks for all the comments guys.  I'm not trying to sound cheesy, but I really do appreciate your feedback.

I really feel like the 7:27 was fine, and I'd like to run that pace for 3 miles.  I really felt like I couldn't breathe well as a result of the allergies.  I've been having weezing coughs, and I know that's gotta be a bad thing for cardio.

My legs were just fine after the race, and I ran a couple more miles when I was done because I just didn't feel like I got enough.

I'm going to pick up Higdon's intermediate 5k plan and run that until my next race on 5/4.  We'll see how it goes.  I honestly think I will blow my PR to smithereens if I'm healthy.  If I feel great and still run like a 25:05 or some shit, then I'll know I'm just a puss lol.

I think my biggest mistake was locking in on that guy (since he was RIGHT THE FUCK THERE) as opposed to running my own race.  It also sucks trying to pace off a regular watch when there are no 1/4 mile markings to use for adjustment.

Luke, congrats on the PR!

Congrats Luke, you'll get it done next time!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

never run

Congrats Luke, I'm sure once you get out of allergy season you will kill it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry you did not get the 25, but dang...you are speedy!  Congrats!

No doubt in my mind you are someday going to get that 25 or sub-25!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Supersono99

Congrats on your PR. You are so close to your goal, maybe without allergies you'll get it next time.