Beginners and Beyond

IMS 5K RR, sub-20, PR, AG, you name it, it's in here! :) (Read 116 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Well, everything except pictures!  I went to the race by myself, and it was very low key, so unless someone from the club snapped a pic of me, there will be no photographic proof of my accomplishments today. Smile

Ran the Independence Middle School 5k this morning, it's part of my running club's Grand Prix series.  I've been looking forward to this race, since I knew my previous 5k PR (20:23) was a little soft given my recent half PR.

Checked in at 8:30, picked up my bib, noticed there was no timing tab on the bib, and we didn't get ankle chips, so I asked how we were going to be timed.  It's all off of the gun time and you get a card when you cross the finish line.  I've seen other people on here talk about races being timed like that, this was my first one like this.  So I made sure to line up at the front.  Given last year's results, if I could pull off a sub-20, I should be in the top 10.

Warmed up for a couple of miles with some strides and then toed the line, literally, this was the first time I actually lined up on the starting line, it was kind of neat.  Horn blows and we're off, a huge pack takes off ahead of me, wtf?  There's got to be 20 people ripping ahead at a pretty fast pace, who invited all the fast people???

Mile 1:  I started to hang with the pack, then looked down at my watch and realized we were pulling a 5:30/mile pace.  So I slowed down, and hoped that I hadn't burned too much energy.  Felt good, holding steady, ended up with a 6:04/mile average pace.

Mile 2:  The pack that took off ahead of me starts dropping one by one as I cruise past them, I latched on to a couple of runners ahead of me and tried to maintain pace with them, 6:12/mile average pace, starting to slip a little, but still on track for a solid sub-20.

Mile 3:  I think I let my mind get the better of me in this mile, this is something I need to work on.  My legs felt fine, breathing was a lil labored, but hey, it's a 5k, right?  I let my pace fall off and didn't/couldn't push myself to pick it back up.  6:27/mile average pace.

I don't know what my kick was, because I didn't save my run on my Garmin, but I had a pretty decent kick left in me.  Hit the 3 mile marker and let what I had left loose.

Results:  19:26, 3rd place AG, 9th place OA out of 298 runners.  Big grin

Overall I'm very happy.  Sub-20 with only a year of running under my belt, definitely can't complain.  Especially given the fact that I still have yet to do any speed work.  I'm a little disappointed in my mental strength, but I know that it's something I can work on and improve.  Talking to my wife after the race, she called me a wuss because I don't push hard enough. lol  In describing the race to her, I realized that there was minimal to no discomfort, slight suckage, but not nearly what there should be, which tells me that I'm still not pushing hard enough.  I think this is where speed work will help me, to learn to push and maintain that pace.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Pinktastic

Congrats on a fantastic race, Dave!!  You are so freaking fast!!   Keep up the hard work and you'll be smashing this new PR very soon!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

hog4life

Congrats Dave! Nice time, I think we all struggle with the mental demons, I know I sure do.

Docket_Rocket

I commented on the dailies, but I say it again, for such a new runner, you have so much speed.  I cannot wait to see how the next year goes for you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great race, D2! Man, that is smokin' fast!!!

Philliefan33

Woo hoo!  Great job Dave.

delicate flower

Great race, Dave!  Congratulations!  Indeed, you've got a lot more speed in you.  It'll be interesting to see you progress even more.

<3

Ball of Fury

Awesome job!!  And seriously, you ran a sub 20:00 and didn't push hard enough?  Ridiculous!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Congrats, I know this was one of your goals!! So proud of you. Imagine what you can do once you mix in some speedwork and stuff--18's are next!! But for now, you ran an awesome time (totally crushed sub-20--no squeaking in just under!!). Soak it in Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Just B.S.

Congrats Dave! Imagine what you can do with the speedwork!

LRB

I think you pushed as well as you could have late, given your pace in the early stages of the the race.  Had you run a 6:04 right out of the gate, you might have shaved a few seconds off your other miles and felt better about your race overall.

As it is, 5k's are incredibly difficult to master, even for masters!  I would say you are doing a helluva job what with running only one year and that the sky is the limit!

Nice racin' Dave!

happylily

Whoa! Bravo, you are fast! Congratulations on your PR and AG award!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

YAYpril - B-Plus

I knew you would do it but I am still super impressed. Congratulations. Smile

SheCan

Well, even without pics I'm going to believe you!  CONGRATULATIONS, Mr Speedy demon you!   Someone that's recently started running and losing weight should not expect to pull out the amazing times that you do!  Very proud of you, Dave!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Great time, you are fast.