Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins Have A Pep Talk In Every Post! (Read 23 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new. Socrates

Been back to running for about 5 days now, just between 6.5 to 8 mile runs. The bronchitis is pretty much cleared up. My quads were killing me the second day back and I thought that was unusual until I remembered starting to do single leg squats again! Also, I have been changing the way I run to see haw it works - more on that after I give it some time. Still pondering doing my first half. I did sign up for a St Pats 5k. Anyway, hope to get in between 8 - 12 miles sometime today.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

PADRunner

Morning All.

Well looks like my 130 day running streak is going to come to an end. I've got some kind of pain inside right just below the knee, so a URD today. I tried cutting down to 1 mile for the past couple of days but need to rest. An 11 mile LR is definitely not going to happen.

I've got a 15k in 3 weeks and a half in 6 weeks. Hopefully I haven't done anything to bad and just need a few days rest. Really throws the schedule off though.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Sunday Penguins!  Today I will be doing a short run at Fort Sam Houston after Gail gets home from church.  She is planning to either swim or do a short walk.  If she does a short walk, then we will both do a weight training circuit following her walk and my run.

Yesterday I did my 5th race of 2014.  Here is the link to my report and photos:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/00f9f9850148458395c7d7c97bf60f6c/resume#focus

As for football:  Go Seahawks and Go Denver!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Leg seems to be OK again, did 1.5 on the treadmill yesterday to try out the new shoes :

followed by weights, and a quick 3 with a couple pickups this morning.

I'm absolutely loving the Tempos thus far, maybe even more than I loved my Elixirs Surprised Firm, responsive, light and fast. My only complaints are with the laces (like holding shoes onto my feet with baling twine - no thanks) and the stock insole, both of which can be easily remedied if I decide I really can't deal with them. The Mirages are comfy but I'm sticking to really short runs on the treadmill for a couple weeks before I decide whether to keep them - I definitely feel the lower drop in my calves. I walk around barefoot or in totally flat shoes most of the time so I would hope I could make the transition fairly easily, but then my silly legs are really great at not doing what one would expect.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning, Gus, PAD, and Scott.   Not sure what we will do today, it's getting very windy.  Might go inside.  I'll find out when DW gets back from church.  DD's and SIL coming for dinner.  Looks like DD might join us in Miami as she has a meeting in Orlando the week before.  She better get in shape.

Zelanie

Good morning!  So I did get selected as one of the chaperones to go to Costa Rica!  So I will be spending 8 weeks there, from June - August.  There will be 2 chaperones and 25 high schoolers from Oregon down there.  So yes, 8 weeks of marathon training in the tropics, bring it on!

Today I have a MLR of 10 miles.

Gustav- Glad to see you back at it!  I think you'd do great in a half!

PAD- It sounds like a couple days' rest is just what you need.

Scotty- Congrats on #5 already!  Enjoy the run with Gail.

Lauren- As a Saucony fangirl, I hope that you love the Mirages with time.

Jerry- DD had better get in shape if she wants to keep up with her parents, hehe!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the Costa Rica job Zel.

Nice shoes Lauren.

From the Internet.

How cool, have fun Zel! Big grin Take lots and lots of pictures!

SheCan

Gus, glad you're feeling better.  Oh oh, fun @ the St. Pat 5k.  And, just my opinion, but as many miles as you've been putting up, you'd surely be ready to do a Half whenever you get ready.

PAD-- Oh no!  You've done so well!  I can't imagine running that many days without a break.  I'm glad you're smart enough to call it off though with having this pain.  Good luck and fast healing to you.

Scotty-- enjoy the games today.  DH will be watching "with" you.

Lauren-- oh your running shoes are so much prettier than mine!  I always pull out the insoles of mine and replace them with Dr. Scholls Sport insoles.

Jerry-- ohhhhh, that'd be awesome if DD could join you in Miami!  Is she a runner also?

Zel-- what an adventure!  2 months, wow!  I'm not sure i'd like chaperoning teenagers, but you're probably a lot more patient than some of us.  I'm so happy you're getting this chance though.

Its a SRD for me (no, streaking here.)  Gonna go run some errands, and hope to see an ill friend on her birthday if she's up for it.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Thanks Jerry and Lauren!

Cherie- Luckily most of the kids' time will be spent with their host families.  I'm probably not interesting enough to find 8 weeks worth of fun (or supervision) for them.  But we will be down there in case they need anything, with a couple of activities that we plan and supervise.  Hope that you do get to see your friend today!

hog4life

Zel, totally cool about Costa Rica!

Gustav, you are ready for a half, I say do it.

Pad, no way I could run 130 days in a row!

Some family members are leaving today, and the rest of us will leave tomorrow. I'm hoping to go hit that river trail again sometime today! Maybe 5-6 recovery miles. I think my legs are finally back under me. What's the old saying, one day of rest per mile? This has been about par for me on my recovery. Maybe I can start pushing my pace a little.

PADRunner

Congrats Zel, sounds like a great summer!

GinnyinPA

Gustav - I'm glad you're feeling better.  Hard to run when the lungs won't cooperate.  Good luck on your long run today.

PADRunner - sorry your knee is misbehaving.  Did you do something to it specifically, or is it just grumbling at the long streak?

Scotty - hope the run and weights went well for you.

Lauren - I'm glad your leg problem wasn't serious.  Nice shoes!  Mine are much more staid.

Jerry - if it's cold, that wind will make you miserable.  Have a good run anyway, even if it is indoors.  I didn't realize you were running in Miami.  After this cold winter, running in the warmth will be really different.

Z - congratulations on getting the chaperone job.  Spending two months in Costa Rica will be a real adventure.  Enjoy your MLR.

Cherie - enjoy your rest day.

Mitch - I hope you get another chance on the river trail.  I'm glad your legs are starting to recover.

AFM:  We woke to another dusting of snow, but the sun came out while we were walking Ben, so I took off immediately afterwards to enjoy the good weather while we have it.  The wind was in my face, so I think I ran a little faster than I intended just trying to stay warm. I managed 6 miles. I need to start carrying water again on my longer runs.  There isn't enough snow left to wet my mouth when I need it.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Congrats, Zel. That sounds like a great trip. Smile

8 miles with DW at a 9:15 pace.