Beginners and Beyond

What keeps you motivated? (Read 87 times)

Hip Redux

Well?

I bought some running gear this week mostly because I needed some sort of incentive to keep working through this injury.   Hopefully, an infusion of pretty running stuff will help.

bluerun

Super B****

I know it sounds too pat to be true, but I don't really HAVE a problem staying motivated.  Maybe that's because I always get injured before I have a chance to get un-motivated...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

In the beginning, it was the new challenges (mostly distances). Then, it was performance (can I get faster?). Now, I have slowed down a lot. What keeps me motivated to keep running/training is the memory of how I feel when I cross a finish line. That feeling is just hard to describe. It makes me feel amazing. It has become very addictive for me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Excel. Every time I run I post my mileage. If I run a race the times go there also.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Pizza and hamburgers.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Obesity and heart problems run rampant in my extended family therefore I run to stay healthy.  Yeah I need to lose some weight but I am not all that concerned I will have a heart attack and kick the bucket.

Some think its a family curse while I am fairly certain its a weight and smoking problem more than anything.

Mmmmm...beer

For general motivation, I make it a point to look through old pictures of my former fat self every so often, that keeps me pretty motivated most of the time.  I also wear a couple of bracelets all the time that help motivate me in the moment if I'm having a tough run, one is for Jenny and one is for Boston.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Getting some me time in my stressful life.

Damaris

MothAudio

All of the fast guys in my age-group! What the average 56 YO person looks like! To narrow the gap / minimize the distance between the runner I am today vs the 26 YO I was. To return to the level of performance I enjoyed prior to my [TIA] stroke in August. My three boys. There is no lack of motivation from my POV.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

onemile

I'm not even sure. Some kind of sick compulsion, I suppose.

Little Blue

What keeps me motivated in the short term is to have a race coming up.  Preferably paid for.

What keeps me motivated in the long term is a rare auto-immune disease that eventually took my father.  It eats away at the muscles until they no longer function.  No treatment, no cure, but it can be somewhat combatted with exercise.  I can do that, just in case.

Coyotes.  They're always trying to catch road runners.

Hip Redux

Coyotes.  They're always trying to catch road runners.

Meep meep!

Love the Half

It varies.  Sometimes, nothing other than habit.  Sometimes, although not often these days, I'll peek in the closet and take a look at the pair of pants with the 42 inch waist I still have.  Sometimes, I have a goal race on the immediate horizon.  Sometimes, I run just because I love to run.  And sometimes, I'm much more motivated to sit on my ass and drink a beer than I am to run and I do that instead.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Pride - even though I'm slow and in back of the pack, I keep going because I see the benefits of endurance and slight increase in speed during training which results in passing a handful of runners in the last 1/4 mile of a 5K or 10K(I enjoy this version of racing).

I've come to acknowledge it's become my pastime.  Some guys my age (54 soon 55) enjoy golfing, hunting, or fishing; I enjoy running several times/week and racing about once a month.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot