Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Corner Store Country Run 5K (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

The Details

• My 63rd race of 2014, held on November 15, 2014 at Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio
    • Country Run 5K put on by Corner Stores/CST Brands Inc. - http://www.cornerstore4u.com/Home - headquartered in San Antonio.  This event was also done in other cities in the US.
    • Weather:  slight drizzle, 42 degrees, overcast, with a light wind blowing
    • This was a fun run, so no awards, although there was a timing clock for people to see their finish time.   This was also an inaugural event.  Really nice turn-out, must've been nearly 1,000 people there, and maybe over that.  The first 500 to register got free entry and I was one of those.  Nice!
    • I ended up with a finish time of 33:41

Before The Start

I picked my packet up the day before the race.  Really nice tech-tee shirt in the goody bag.

Morning of the race appeared gray and drizzly.  I live pretty close to Freeman Coliseum - which is next door to the AT&T Center, the home of the NBA San Antonio Spurs - so I got to sleep in a bit more, and then got to the run site with about 40 minutes to start time.  Before the start, we were allowed to go into the building, which was nice, we stayed dry and warm in there before the start.  I wandered around taking some photos.

Not only was he on stilts, he juggled as he walked around

These bandanas that folks are wearing were in the goody bags with the race shirts.

Lotta people here for this one!

The National Anthem was sung beautifully by a lovely lady and then we were off

ON THE COURSE

I've done several races at the AT&T Center/Freeman Coliseum area and - with the exception of the really great San Antonio Livestock Exposition Stampede 4-Miler during rodeo time - most of these courses are REALLY boring, just wandering around through orange cones in the AT&T Center parking lots.   This one went through the parking lots too....BUT...Corner Stores did a heckuva job with the course.  They had music on the course...haystacks along the way people could climb over, run up and over, jump over, empty tires (like at a football drill) to go through if you wanted to, and so forth.  Not boring at all, Corner Stores really 'padded' the parking lot course and kept it interesting.  Good job, Corner Stores!

A little tight at the beginning..and then we got into the more open areas and were able to spread out.  Course was well-thought out and well laid out; I did not see or hear of anyone getting bumped, obstructed, etc., at least where I was on the course at any given time.  Everyone seemed to be cooperating with each other and enjoying themselves.

Over the hay bales if you so chose...

The wide-open Country Run spaces...

..full of a lot of people

This little piggy went to Race...

About halfway done now, or just a tad over that...

When we got to the other side of the AT&T Center building we were on the home stretch..

AFTER THE FINISH

All I can say is WOW!  First you went across the finish line.  Then you went into the building and were welcomed by this....

Then you went into a foyer-type area and were handed a free bag....

...and then you took that bag by tables FULL of goodies and just starting filling up your bag with stuff like this....

After your bag was stuffed you then went into the main area of the building, and...LET THE PARTY BEGIN!   The after-party for this event....well, when I walked into that main room, I thought was entering a huge marathon/half marathon expo, that's the way it was laid out.   Except in this case, it was more 'carnival"-like...all kinds of games...chances at winning Corner Store gift cards......free hot dogs....free beer......whoopie pies.....so many darn goodies, I lost track of what was all there....plus a band playing live music on stage....a big jumbotron....camera folks filming everything, I assume for the company and company news and local news and so forth....just  one....BIG....PARTY!   Very cool!

First thing I saw was these characters...

The guy at the left of the photo told me to BEEhave... 

Handed a 'finisher ribbon' by these volunteers

Then a giant cow....

The other side of the cow...

Whoopie Pies...

Smile for the camera!

Jumbotron showing the band playing

Various games to play......

Lots of beer to choose from......and other stuff too...

Oh yeah....and a second one from Shiner.....

And, of course, lots of Happy Finishers and their friends, supporters, volunteers, etc.

Me, my friend Sally, and our beers....

"I'm ready for my close up Mr. De Mille."    Young people may not get that reference, lol.

EPILOG

Again, just...WOW!   In my 31 years of running, this is one of the best events EVER that I've done.  Kudos to CEO Kim Lubel and all her  CST employees and all the volunteers and sponsors and law enforcement out there for us, and everyone who helped make this event happen.  This was really done up right, a really amazing inaugural event.  The folks who signed up for this and maybe did not show today because of weather, or deciding to do something else - there were something like 4 or 5 other local 5Ks in our area - they are gonna realize they really missed out!   I anticipate this event is going to become QUITE popular next year and in the years ahead, so better sign up early!  I know I sure am!  This one is most certainly a keeper on the personal running calendar!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the inaugural event and number 63.  Looks like everyone is happy to be indoors.

GinnyinPA

Looks like fun.  Did it rain the whole time?  Nice to have an indoor venue for the food and games afterwards.

B-Plus

Congrats Scotty! That must seem like sub-freezing temps for you!