Beginners and Beyond

We men just got a little bit less impressive as of last Sunday (Read 78 times)

I know it is a fraction of a percent but still, I'd like to keep my old numbers. Thanks a lot Dennis Kimetto.

http://www.runnersworld.com/racing/how-the-world-record-affected-age-graded-percentages?cid=socRac_20141003_32715636

...............Back to Kimetto, the reason we're talking about this in the first place. When he ran 2:02:57, he really wrecked things for some people, specifically, men. When Kimetto lowered the world record by a whopping 26 seconds, the age-graded percentages for all male marathoners changed, too. And not for the better. So this week, our 30-year-old, three-hour, male marathoner has an age-graded score of 68.31% (compared to 68.55% a week ago), and our 60-year-old dude has a 71.79% (a week ago, his was 72.05%). Which means both runners are slightly less awesome than they were just a few days ago.

(And in case you were wondering, since no woman has come close to breaking Paula Radcliffe's world record time of 2:15:25, which she set in 2003, age-graded percentages for women haven't budged.)................

Hip Redux

Damn.

LRB

So now our times have to come with an asterisk.

* Before Kimetto

** After Kimetto

Love the Half

Fuck him.  I went from 76.53 to 76.23 so I can still say "76".  Pbbbblllltttttt.  I fart in your general direction Kimetto.  Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I was never all that impressive anyway...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Meh... we women still like you, guys. Even if you're not the studs we used to think you were. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010