Beginners and Beyond

Just Another Monday Penguins (Read 26 times)

Docket_Rocket

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  9 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Thanks for starting, Docket! I was wondering when the Penguins thread was. Hope the 9 goes great tonight.

Trying to work running into my new schedule. Today I had a lie-in, up at 7:15am, out by 7:30. Only 81F w/ 71 DP, but obviously I was miserable. 2 miles done @ 10:46 pace. I need to slow down, but even my second "I feel like I'm dying" mile heat shuffle was 11:23. I'm planning on two outdoor runs a week for now, next one will be 2.5. Next week will be 2.5 and 3, and so on. I should get to 6 miles by my 10K, but I'm thinking as the weather cools down, running outside will get easier for me.

Have a great day all!

Bin Running

Damaris, enjoy the 9 later.

Coralie, you will do well in the 10K. Cooler weather will def helps.

6.5M with new shoes given by Air Force. A little bulky. Asics gel 105 but googles doesn't give much info.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

PADRunner

Rangers Labor Day 5k this morning, Minor League Baseball this afternoon. Last game of the season, if the Grand Prairie Air Hogs win they're in the playoffs.

Zelanie

Morning!  Still have work in my classroom to do- yikes!  But this evening I have 6 miles to look forward to.

D- Enjoy the 9!

Coralie- Nice job!  You are going to be running strong when the temps cool off!

Bin- I never got a chance to say congrats on your HM.  Sounds like your last 2 have had lots of bad circumstances beyond your control.  On the other hand, I'm impressed you could race at all with that cough!  Plus it looks like you have some chances to redeem yourself coming up. Smile

PAD- Hope you had a good time in the 5K!  Good luck to the Air Hogs!

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

We went to the aquarium on Friday and saw some actual penguins Big grin I was more excited than my preschooler, haha.

Ran 3 miles on Thursday morning and after that my shin started feeling achy - not while walking or anything and it passed the hop test, but it felt bruised when I prodded at it. Did my "long run" in the pool on Saturday and will be in the pool Tuesday/Wednesday, hoping to try a run on Wednesday or Thursday. I suspect I was favoring my right leg a bit with the foot/calf issues and that put more stress on the left leg, so hopefully a week off from running will be enough to get both legs back in order - they feel fine today but I'd rather take a couple more days to make sure it doesn't develop into something that will require serious time off.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Quick check in.  I signed up for a 5K, and had a nice tempo run...lol  It was good enough for a PR of 23:34, but just didn't have the motivation to give a full 5K effort on the hills or even the flat parts for that matter.  It was fun though.  I gave a kick at the end with a 6:20 pace if that tells you how bad I dogged it.  Big race, lots of fun.  I'll write a report later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Great job on the PR!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Lauren- Nice penguins!

Awood- Congrats on the PR!

tracilynn

Damaris, nice rack Big grin

Coralie, 10:46 is pretty good for how sick you have been and the heat etc!  Good job!

Bin, enjoy the free shoes

PAD, what does PAD runner stand for?  Are you a diver?

Zel, enjoy your 6 later.  I guess school starts tomorrow for you? Make your "Teachers pets"  finish your room.   ha.

Lauren, omg i know exactly what you mean about pressing around for bruises.  Thats exactly how it starts with stupid shin splints, right?

Awood, congrats!

Rest day for me, will plank later

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks guys.  Race report is up.  You'll love the shirt.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

PAD, what does PAD runner stand for?  Are you a diver?

Peripheral Artery disease. I've got poor circulation in my legs.

I use it just in case I find someone else stupid enough to try to run with it. Most of the information on the internet only deals with trying to increase peoples walking distance. Nothing about trying to run.

PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) would be for divers. However, I am also a PADI certified diver. Smile

From the Internet.

Lauren, omg i know exactly what you mean about pressing around for bruises.  Thats exactly how it starts with stupid shin splints, right?

Yup yup. Not cool. Since I'm neurotic about my shins now instead of in denial like I was last fall, I'm hoping I caught it early enough that it'll be fine with minimal time off/maybe sticking to the track for the next few runs. Adapt already, stupid shins - I give you love and ice and sleeves and calcium/vitamin D/magnesium supplements, and this is the thanks I get!

Zelanie

PAD- Kudos to you for not letting your condition keep you down!  Do you run in compression sleeves?

Lauren- Hopefully an abundance of caution will help you!

1:30 plank done.